Grendel Anyone?

Jjensen

FNG
Ever since I first heard about the grendel, I have been thinking that I "Need" one. Well, along comes a deal I couldnt pass up on a reciever and handguard set and away we go. I bought the toolcraft BCG and Ballistic Advantage Sub-MOA 16" light weight barrel and am building a "hunting" rifle. I expect it to weigh in around 7 lbs without optics and don't want to add too much. Thinking a Viper PST 2.5-10 FFP would be a nice addition.

Anyone else hunting with a grendel? What's your set-up/weigh?

OP
J

Jjensen

FNG
Just made a quick spreadsheet of my build and found that the total weight for all teh parts is onlt 5.5 lbs! Im leaning towards a ultralight scope like the VX-2 to keep the total build close to 6 lbs now.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I LOVE the 6.5 grendel cartridge. I built a 20" grendel about 4 years ago and it is still one of my favorite rifles. I have found that my favorite load for target shooting and hunting is a 123gr SST over IMR8208XBR. I have recently started developing a load for 130gr accubond LR over CFE 223 which looks promising also. One of the favorite loads on the grendel forum is the 100gr ttsx, however, I have not tried this load yet. The rifles have so little recoil that your crosshairs barely move off target. I have a 10" steel plate that I can empty a magazine into at 300 yards with a shot about every 2 seconds without missing. I have read a few threads about people hunting caribou and elk with them, however, I think they are better served for deer, hogs, and targets.

Here are some pics of a buck that I shot with the 123 gr SST and it performed flawlessly.

grendel.jpg

hunt.jpg

howl

WKR
People are still sorting out the Grendel for hunting. When you consider it is the modern equivalent of the .250 Savage, you see it has a proven track record. A VX-R 2-7x with FireDot would be a good match for hunting if it isn't too heavy. A VX2 would probably do as well if your low-light needs are not extreme. If they are the VX-3 1.75-6x with heavy duplex is a solid low light number at low weight.

I've got a Wolf branded upper for a truck gun. It is a lot of fun with the steel case ammo. I'm waiting on a lightweight 20" barrel from a group buy to finish a 7# rig for my wife. It will have a 1.5-6x scope. I got a carbon tube tube from a member here to be able to make weight. I insisted on a 20" barrel and she wanted the sort of heavy scope, so the forearm was the place to cut weight.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/firearms/48147-3-2-3oz-rifle-2.html is that thread.

JWP58

WKR
Planned on using the howa mini bolt action in 6.5 grendel. I was soured by the lack of stock options so sold it. The cartridge is fantastic though.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I used to see a Grendel for AR-15s and just keep going. I have a ton of 5.56 around. Too much to look at adding another caliber. But after having so much fun with the 6.5 Creedmoor, I'm looking at both the Grendel and a LA 6.5 of some sort. Maybe a 6.5-284 or a 26 Nos.

I absolutely love mine. Here it is when I first built it! Made a killer yote gun!! I actually built it to be my log Range wolf gun!

1ffaaf2eb1dd8d241d15977877084dd8.jpg

a2160ebc42f1e3a1acd1ae4c08aeab36.jpg

It shot incredibly well and then all of a sudden my accuracy went to hell. After months of frustration I finally figured out the Handguard was bent and making contact with the gas block. I picked up a new Handguard and had to re cerakote it. Decided to do burnt bronze as I've always wanted an AR in that color scheme. It's now back to shooting tight groups and I've hit steel out to 1,148 yards!

8c49bff4b42a8aa3d6eac5d3123e47b0.jpg

6d5ebc0dc4c270a0aa507ae8a2499f93.jpg

I'm hoping to take a doe Antelope at long range with it here in a few weeks.

I plan on buying my son the Howa bolt action version in a few years. Wonderful caliber. He's 8 and loves shooting this one!!
1a68c7a8d7c594542b4db46ac5c78565.jpg

Build specs:

Gibbs Arms matching side charging upper and lower
22" Saturn Barrel and matching HS bolt
Jard 1.5 lb trigger
Daniel Defense lower parts kit
Double Star Adjustable Gas Block
VooDoo tactical Life coat BCG
Overkill Customs Bully Brake
Voltor V5 XL 7 position buffer tube\buffer and spring
Mako G-shock adjustable stock
ATI X2 Scorpion grip
Grendel Hunter M-Lok ultra light FF 17" hand guard
Nightforce ultra light 20MOA Ultramount scope base
Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50mm scope
Leupold Delta Point Red dot sight
Custom Cerakote By me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
J

Jjensen

FNG
All parts are purchased! Now to start scope shopping...

EDC Tactical Builders Set
Ballistic Advantage 16" Mid-gas 6.5 Grendel
Toolcraft 6.5 Grendel BCG
Strike Industries Forward Assist, Ultimate Dust Cover, Charging Handle w/Extended Latch, and Enhanced Lower Parts Kit
ACE Skeleton Stock
JP Tuned and Polished Spring/Buffer