anyone enjoy cleaning a rifle barrel?

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
allow me to elaborate. maybe i can get some help here.

257 weatherby mag. the MarkV. fairly low bullet count. always accurate. i was shooting bread/butter norma bullets into a 3/8th group. got home, quick bore snake. waited for my hunting bullets to arrive from MIDWAY. they got to me fast!! back to the range.. 100gr Barnes TTSX. first shot went right where i expected...then things got wild. 2-3" groups. less of a group, more shotgun pattern IMHO :).

i took out the norma lead ammo..WOW..also a wild group!! i packed up. range guy thinks my barrel was dirty to begin with ,but the lead ammo is super forgiving. first copper round fouled the barrel bad. that is his theory. he said copper bullets need a clean barrel to start with.

thoughts?

Once you cleaned the barrel, you might have changed how it reacts to certain bullets. That's exactly why I clean as much as I do, I want the barrel to pattern under it's "normal" state which is pretty clean. I'd suggest a copper foul remover, as well.

FWIW, I had a Mark V and it was super sensitive to being clean, being too hot, what ammunition it had in it and the wind direction. It eroded my confidence in the firearm and I sold it. It was a gorgeous rifle.

howl

WKR
You're not the only one to have that problem with Barnes bullets. There's nothing wrong with the bullets. You're mixing metal types and alloys. Take it to bare metal when cleaning and then foul it with the Barnes before trying groups.

OP
B

boom

WKR
thanks you guys!!

i havent pulled a trigger on a rifle for damn near 10 years. i have forgotten a lot.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
People still clean rifles? I thought that fad past. It takes 100+ rounds down the tube for me to think about cleaning.

OP
B

boom

WKR
I'm shooting a copper bullet.

Just bought some wipeout. Need a new bore tool and I'm gonna try it. Thx

desertcj

WKR
I don't let my rifles sit dirty unless it's hunting season and I "foul" it and then hunt. I had a horrible time cleaning barrels until I tried Kroil and JB. Combined with some bore solvent and Break Free CLP to finish, my barrels now come out clean as new in about 30 minutes. Half of that time is just letting the bore solvent soak in the barrel.

Stein

FNG
People still clean rifles? I thought that fad past. It takes 100+ rounds down the tube for me to think about cleaning.

Yup, I’ll run a dry patch if I think I got dirt or moisture in there but that’s it.

I shoot Barnes TSX and they all have the same poi, first, last, cold bore, hot bore. The only thing that changes them is clean bore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

boom

WKR
thanks EVERYONE. my rifle shot great this morning. even with the new copper rounds.

just in time for my hunt. appreciate you all helping me out.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Love cleaning my guns, especially rifles.

The smell of Hoppes #9 takes me back....

wapitibob

WKR
thanks EVERYONE. my rifle shot great this morning. even with the new copper rounds.

just in time for my hunt. appreciate you all helping me out.

Spend some time at the range to figure out how many shots thru a clean barrel it takes to settle down the group, if any, then how many shots till they start to open back up.