Chopping a Barrel & Weight Reduction

BigWoods

WKR
I have a lovely Kimber 84m classic in 308 that I'm toying with chopping the barrel down to 18" or 20" to be a bit more handy in the thickets of New Hampshire's Great Northwoods. I know there would be a bit of velocity lost, which for me, is really a non-issue.

What sort of cost should I expect from a competent smith for the chop and recrown?

Any idea how much weight I might save at both lengths?

Has anyone done this to a wood stocked Kimber? If so how did it affect the balance?

Any other pros or cons I should be thinking of?

IMG_20170204_134327754.jpg

Thank you for the help!

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
I shopped a Savage 270 from 22" to 16.5" and I love it. Did I lose velocity? Yes. Did I lose as much as everyone said I would? Not even close. It cost me $75 to have it cut, re-crowned and threaded.

The rifle is lighter and much better handling - but it has a synthetic stock.

As far as weight savings, it will vary a little bit...but not as much as you'd think. Most of the weight is towards the action where it's larger. If you have a #2 countour the whole barrel is around 3.3 lbs at 22", so I assume if you cut off 10% (2.2 inches" you're probably taking off about 6-7% of the weight which is about 4 ounces.

Edit:
Additional cons: the rifle might not ever shoot well (assuming it shoots well now) again. This is also a risk I had to be willing to take, granted it was a lot more likely for me with the 270 than with your 308.

Your rifle looks blued, so you will have to re-blue or coat it. That can add up. Costs will vary widly for this, I have a stainless barrel so I didnt have to consider but expect $150-250 depending on the coating and quality.

Last edited:

stevevan

WKR
I took a Win. M70 featherweight barrel at 22" down to 20". Worked out great. I don't believe the velocity loss was much and yet it did in my mind make a better handling rifle for up here in the whitetail woods of Northern Michigan.

howl

WKR
The increase in muzzle blast is a down side, though. If you like the rifle as is otherwise, I suggest leaving it alone. Get another rifle. A Browning BAR with the stock cast shims set to you would be real handy and quick.

robtattoo

WKR
I've chopped a few: Savage .223, Savage .308, Marlin .44 etc & for a cut & crown I've always paid between $40-50

Velocity losses have been slight, more noticeable in the .223, but not enough to concern me. The .308 only lost around 20fps per inch from 22 down to 18"

Cinch

Lil-Rokslider
Chop it... short is handy and handy is dandy. Don't worry about the velocity it won't be much. I cut 6" off a 6x47Lapua Lapua and lost 80fps. Yes you'll have more muzzle blast, but it's for one shot.

N2TRKYS

WKR
If it shoots well in its current configuration, then I would leave it alone. Now you have a good excuse to buy a new rifle. Congrats.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Thanks for the impute thus far!

Xxtavixx - I much appreciate the info on weight.

A few of you mentioned just how handy doing the chop makes the rifle - That's what I'd really like. Any thoughts between 18" and 20"? Maybe compromise at 19"?

I appreciate the warnings on the possibility of lost accuracy. It does currently shoot pretty well (around 1" with Hornady American Whitetail) so I'll definitely have to mull that over.

hodgeman

WKR
.308 based cartridges do just fine in short barrels. I've got 16", 18", 19" and 20" variations between .308 and 7-08 and the 6.5CM (the CM isn't .308 based...but it's darn close enough).

The handiness factor more than compensates for the minor loss of MV.

Cinch

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the impute thus far!

Xxtavixx - I much appreciate the info on weight.

A few of you mentioned just how handy doing the chop makes the rifle - That's what I'd really like. Any thoughts between 18" and 20"? Maybe compromise at 19"?

I appreciate the warnings on the possibility of lost accuracy. It does currently shoot pretty well (around 1" with Hornady American Whitetail) so I'll definitely have to mull that over.

I've only ever seen a rifle gain accuracy with a chop... a shorter barrel will be a little stiffer. Have a few friends with 18" Kimber Montanas in 308 that don't regret it.

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
And that caliber I wouldn't think twice about cutting it. I like my short actions between 18 and 20. The longest rifle I have is a 300 WinMag at 24.
My 375 is 21.5 and my 308 is 20

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm looking around for a local and competent smith.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Luke must be out hunting ... can't believe he hasn't contributed to this discussion

I have been pretty busy the last couple weeks and going out hunting again today. Will add more later but for now 16" barrel Kimber that goes 4.35 pounds scoped ;)

tSlBgZu.jpg

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Luke, That rifle is insane! Made of solid feathers and aluminum?

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
I chopped my .338 federal montana to 17", bought the crowning tools from brownells and did the initial chop with a hacksaw. Price for all the tools was like $65-70. But the additional piots to do other calibers are cheap. Thinking about cutting my .223 next, I might be trading into a .308 Mountain ascent, I might chop it off at 16.5 to see what it will weigh...