scope for win mod70 .222rem- vortex crossfire 6-18x44?

ozyclint

WKR
i'm in the process of refurbishing my model70 .222rem. i'm refinishing the stock and hopefully going to get the creep in the trigger fixed, plus floating the barrel and doing a bedding job. while i'm at it i want to replace the scope. it currently has a tasco world class 3-9x40 which is poor to say the least.

the rifle has a sporter weight barrel so i'm not intending to do super long distance varmint shooting with it but i feel i would like a higher magnification scope just to allow for more precise aiming out to 250-300m.

i'd like to hear opinions of the vortex crossfire II 6-18x44 AO scope. is the scope good value and quality for the money? it fits in my budget that's all.

mtmuley

WKR
I'd go VX-2 in 4-12 myself. Have one on a Remington 788 in .222. The looks would fit your rifle better too I think. The VX-2 is a sturdy scope. I have another one that's been on a .300 RUM for 15 years. mtmuley

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
If you like the vortex brand the diamondback series are tough to beat for the value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sig sauer whiskey3 for around $120 on eBay is the best deal going on a good scope.... actually, the best deal going is the Minox zv3 from camera land for $85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
I have a Win70 in .222 that I put a 6-18 Nikon on for marmot when I lived in Alaska. I felt that the 3-12 I run on my .17 was not as much magnification as I liked for squirrels past about 200 yards.

Since moving to NV, most of my varmint shooting is coyotes. I'm now thinking of taking the 6-18x and putting it on my 22-250, and getting a 4-12x for my .222. I really miss the 3x magnification for the faster acquisition. The 22-250 is a heavy target rifle, so it won't ever go much farther from the truck than the shooting bench, but the .222 is what I like to carry when I'm out calling. It's pretty rare that I need to shoot farther than 300 yards, and I know I can hit squirrels at 300 with 12x, so anything bigger won't be a problem.

mtmuley

WKR
think i might go with the leupold VX2 6-18x40 after all. i can mount it lower than the crossfire with the 44mm objective.

Nice. And Leupold has every bit the warranty that Vortex builds their reputation on. Except they have been building optics a lot longer. Good choice. mtmuley

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
i thought; buy once, cry once.
the bulky looking parallax adjustment on the crossfire on top of the bigger 44mm objective would require high rings for the one piece leupold base i already have and i don't want to go higher than what it has now. that was the deal breaker.

plus i already have a leupold VARI X II 3-9x40 on my Mod70 featherweight .270win and it has been a good scope, so it's a case of buying what i already know. plus i have worked out that the scope on the .270 has medium leupold rings but can be mounted lower using low rings just fine. this will give me the medium rings to use on the .222 with the 6-18x40. (low rings won't work for this combo) two birds with one stone!

just got done refinishing the stock and then i'll give it a bedding job. the old girl will be new again with a flash new scope. can't wait for picking off rabbits from the front deck of the house!