Shotgun scope: best recommended mount and cheek weld issues?

oguruma

FNG
I am looking to get a Mossberg 835 and I want to mount a Leupold VX-1 1-4 scope on it. I could use a recommendation for a mount, but I am also curious if there will be cheek weld issues? It seems like the factory stock is set up to use the standard sights, which are very low relative to the bore.

hodgeman

WKR
The stock design is the bane of slug guns. You'll want to add a cheek piece of some sort. If not- the recoil will jump up and punch you in the jaw with every shot!

The "Deer/ Turkey" version of the gun has a detachable cheekpiece that you can change out. Might be worth checking out.

howl

WKR
The cheek weld issue is why you see shotgun stocks with the add-on cheek piece. It's can be an issue if you don't build something up for a cheek rest; especially if you use a cantilever barrel.

You didn't say what kind of barrel or slugs you're using. Slugs in an 835 can be an issue due to the over-sized bore. Are you using a dedicated slug barrel? Does it have a cantilever for the scope? If you're mounting just to the receiver you'll have to be careful keeping the barrel mounted tightly. The barrel can move around in relation to the receiver. That'll open your groups up a good bit.

The last shotgun scope I set up, I used Burris Signature rings on a cantilever barrel. The rings worked great with a shotgun scope. Shotgun scopes are lightweight because a heavy scope will move under the heavy recoil. A heavier scope is nigh impossible to hold in place.

If I were to do it again without a cantilever barrel, I'd use a rib rider mount directly on the barrel with a small red dot sight.

I put a magpul stock on an 870 slug gun. It has a modular cheek riser and the high version is perfect to line up with my scope mounted on a cantelever barrel. If I recall, the version for the 500/590 will work for the 835 but you should check it. In addition to the cheek riser, I like the ergonomics and it has some other nice features like a length of pull adjustment and sling mount.