Thompson/Center Compass Rifle

UtahJimmy

WKR
I just saw Cabelas has this rifle for $225 (normally $350-400). At that price I'm thinking about picking one up in .243 for the wife/future children (and a .270 for myself!).

Lightweight, threaded barrel, 3-position safety, adjustable trigger, floated barrel.... made in the USA!

Seems like a solid choice; anyone have experience shooting these and care to comment on the accuracy and action?

I've read a few reviews online but not sure how biased they are.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Curious as well. I don't want one for myself but it would be a cheap setup (with a home installed brake) to put the young kids behind. The 6.5creed has some appeal, that with a brake and a good pad would be a mild shooter.

I've handled a TC Venture that my buddy has, I don't care for the ergonomics very much but it shoots moderately well (good enough for learning on). Not sure how this compass compares.

However the devil on my other shoulder says just wait and buy another Tikka and have that threaded for them, lol. Obviously more expensive but the action would be worth doing something with in the future.

I bought one in 6.5 creed when Sportsman's had a sale on them with a scope for $210 after rebate. It seems nice. Haven't shot it yet because the bolt had an issue and was sent back in for repair. I also have had a venture that I was very happy with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
I am not sure where you saw that pricing, but it is different now. Back to $350 with a $75 rebate. Still, not bad - but not quite as great

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
I am not sure where you saw that pricing, but it is different now. Back to $350 with a $75 rebate. Still, not bad - but not quite as great
Maybe it's just the Lehi, UT location, but it was in a mailer I got yesterday. Only specifies a few of the calibers they offer.
f90093590c00b3a56c433dd078bbc049.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
The $225 price is also in my ad for the Anderson Indiana location.

These are decent rifles. Not a polished and hand fitted rifle, but serviceable, and the two I have seen were accurate. Both shot about 1" with factory Remington 30-06 ammo. I didn't see any areas on them that would cause me to think they wouldn't be reliable, or would have an issue down the road.

Jeremy

ST52v

WKR
I bought my Dad one in 6.5 creedmoor. He loves it. It's not a Sako Etc, but it will shoot. He shot the last of my factory Hornady 120 A max amo. There is 4 shots in there. This was 100 yds off a bench. My brother baught his son one as well. He used the super performance 129's. It shoots under 1" as well. Check the sportsmans outdoor superstore in OH. The rebate is good until the end of the year.
a6866e6f207c542107cf7264328966fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Well I couldn't resist. FIL wanted to get his daughter a rifle, so I got the accessories.

Broke it in yesterday.

.243 with 3-9x50 Minox ZV3 with a PWS PRC brake

We shot 5 different factory rounds, but she was doing the shooting and we didn't come to a definitive conclusion on which was 'the round' yet. I'll get it on a sled and see which one groups the best.

Action is a little sticky. Feels like a 700 but the knob is easier to find. Three position safety is perfect for her, and will make it easy to train children on.

Factory trigger is set at 5#. After the session I adjusted it down to the lowest break (3.5#) so that should help her out with consistency.

Barrel is 100% free floating and the stock has a nice rubber feel. Packed the butt with old rags as it had that hollow sound to it. Butt pad has a decent cushion for factory. The recoil is non existent with the brake. Super fun gun to shoot!

I'll report back once I get a chance to shoot a few groups.
3f5921aebd282ef059e05cbd907e44cc.jpg
03b15581736a17b026f30afc369bf31d.jpg
36bff14d5c36d530e02a5c897368bf16.jpg

ngzcaz

FNG
Well I couldn't resist. FIL wanted to get his daughter a rifle, so I got the accessories.

Broke it in yesterday.

.243 with 3-9x50 Minox ZV3 with a PWS PRC brake

We shot 5 different factory rounds, but she was doing the shooting and we didn't come to a definitive conclusion on which was 'the round' yet. I'll get it on a sled and see which one groups the best.

Action is a little sticky. Feels like a 700 but the knob is easier to find. Three position safety is perfect for her, and will make it easy to train children on.

Factory trigger is set at 5#. After the session I adjusted it down to the lowest break (3.5#) so that should help her out with consistency.

Barrel is 100% free floating and the stock has a nice rubber feel. Packed the butt with old rags as it had that hollow sound to it. Butt pad has a decent cushion for factory. The recoil is non existent with the brake. Super fun gun to shoot!

I'll report back once I get a chance to shoot a few groups.
3f5921aebd282ef059e05cbd907e44cc.jpg
03b15581736a17b026f30afc369bf31d.jpg
36bff14d5c36d530e02a5c897368bf16.jpg

Anyone try something like Great Stuff foam in the stock cavity to firm it up and take away the hollow feeling ??

RumLover

FNG
Don't remember any foam in the stock, but my son's 308 compass holds .6" groups with the Barnes ttsx and H4895 rounds I loaded for him. Add the suppressor capability and it's the perfect lightweight rifle. He was rigging 8" steel at 400 consistently last weekend

ngzcaz

FNG
I've read posts in other forums that tried the Great Stuff foam and liked the results. Probably do mine in the next few days. Can't think of anything negative to happen using the closed cell foam..

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
I wanted to update this thread after doing load development this summer. This rifle flat out shoots. I'm super impressed with some of the groups I was able to shoot. Consistently shoots sub 1/2 minute with 100 gr interlocks sitting on top of h1000 with a MV of 2860.

She used this gun to kill two antelope, a mulie buck, and a cow elk last season using hornady super performance with the 95gr SST. She shot 3 of the 4 animals in the heart, which drove me nuts because I love heart!

In summary: if you're looking for a cheap rifle, this is not a bad choice. Especially because they can be had for around $200. The bolt is a little crappy and pretty sloppy, but it shoots well with the 5r rifling.

I wanted to update this thread after doing load development this summer. This rifle flat out shoots. I'm super impressed with some of the groups I was able to shoot. Consistently shoots sub 1/2 minute with 100 gr interlocks sitting on top of h1000 with a MV of 2860.

She used this gun to kill two antelope, a mulie buck, and a cow elk last season using hornady super performance with the 95gr SST. She shot 3 of the 4 animals in the heart, which drove me nuts because I love heart!

In summary: if you're looking for a cheap rifle, this is not a bad choice. Especially because they can be had for around $200. The bolt is a little crappy and pretty sloppy, but it shoots well with the 5r rifling.

I have a 308 i bought last black Friday , put a scope on but i haven’t even shot it yet. Might have to sight it in and try for a bear

A buddy of mine bought one in 300WM i believe. I know he loves it, cant say much more than that though. For the price, id say thats enough.