WipeOut gun cleaner?

boom

WKR
I listened to your advice and got some. I'm on my third "soak". The patch comes out crazy blue every time. You've seen it come clean after a Soak? Have you ever seen any color other than blue?

It would be funny if it reacted with steel and simply turned blue. I'm gonna keep trying soak after soak until I get a relatively clean patch on the first push. It does smell odd.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use the patch out version of it, blue is copper fouling. If this is the first deep clean it might take a few goes. First patches are black from carbon and then blue marks till the copper is gone.

It will come out clean just takes some time. I had rifles I was using other copper solvents on and even they took a lot of wipeout the initial clean. Now usually one good soak and a quick 30 minute to clean up and residue and they are good

ljalberta

WKR
My first time running wipeout through took 4 or 5 soaks (between 1 and 24 hours) before it came out clean. It was often blue, but you could see brown/blacks as well (powder?).

As stated earlier, blue is a sign of copper or brass. Make sure none of your cleaning rod attachments (brush or jags) are brass. If there is any brass present, you could be getting a blue color forever even after the bore is free from all copper. Bore tech makes "proof positive" parts to prevent this. Some of the bore brushes on the market(even plastic ones) have a brass core or fitting that will react with the solvent, leaving blue on the patches.

wildcat33

WKR
If you've got a lot of copper built up and the wipe out is working, which is sounds like it is, you may try WipeOut Accelerator prior to the regular wipeout, which will speed up your process.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The first time I cleaned a factory rem 700 barrel that had seen usage over the years with the patchout version it took a number of rounds till it cleaned up. It still takes longer to clean that gun (rough bore obviously) but that first time too quite a bit. It did start shooting better. :)

My tikkas and after market barrels have 1 or 2 batches with powder/carbon and then its a few with copper till clean (I shoot monos FYI). With the patch out version I wet patch, dry patch, wet patch, dry patch and at this point most residue is out. Then I either wet patch or sometimes nylon brush and then let it soak 5-10min, dry patch and then if blue wet patch it again and soak. Repeat till clean and the latter soaks I might walk away for 30min or overnight before dry patch.

OP
B

boom

WKR
thanks everyone.

i'll do session #4 and #5 tonight. i had to dry-patch and put the rifle away..i have workers at the house.