Hunting rifle for my wife

dble07

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of performance are you getting out of the 7mm-08?
The dead animal kind. Lol. I have yet to run it through my chrono or really stretch it legs. She has shot a bear and a nice Muley buck with it and I shot a small bull elk and good buck with it. I took it on the elk and muley hunt since it was lighter than any of the guns I had at the time. All 4 animals were shot at 250 yards or less and all died within seconds of being shot. Savage really put effort into making a ladies specific gun and the stock is significantly different than the stocks on any of my rifles. At medium ranges most animals aren't going to know the difference between a 6.5 and a 7mm-08. I went with 7mm for the slightly more bullet diameter. I bought it for her not long after it was introduced so the Weatherby was not available yet to compare it to. I think it helped her confidence and desire to start hunting to know she had a gun that was designed by women for women and not just another gun "for guys".

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Shackdaddy
A grown woman with some experience should be able to pick out her own rifle. Weatherby Camilla in 6.5CM seems like an obvious choice, but you really can't pick the perfect rifle for someone else. My wife went through a few before settling on the Remington Model Seven. Trying until we find what suits us best is what we all do.

Did I say that I was picking the rifle for her? I am buying her a rifle for our anniversary. I figured based on my post it was obvious that she is getting more involved in the sport and would want to be apart of the picking and purchasing of the rifle. I just figured I knew best for her and would be that guy that bought her a 300 Win Mag......

OP
Shackdaddy
The dead animal kind. Lol. I have yet to run it through my chrono or really stretch it legs. She has shot a bear and a nice Muley buck with it and I shot a small bull elk and good buck with it. I took it on the elk and muley hunt since it was lighter than any of the guns I had at the time. All 4 animals were shot at 250 yards or less and all died within seconds of being shot. Savage really put effort into making a ladies specific gun and the stock is significantly different than the stocks on any of my rifles. At medium ranges most animals aren't going to know the difference between a 6.5 and a 7mm-08. I went with 7mm for the slightly more bullet diameter. I bought it for her not long after it was introduced so the Weatherby was not available yet to compare it to. I think it helped her confidence and desire to start hunting to know she had a gun that was designed by women for women and not just another gun "for guys".

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info. I am defiantly thinking the 7mm-08 would be a good choice for her. I appreciate your quality information....Greatly appreciated.

Zbowman1

WKR
Maybe not as popular as some of the others mentioned her but I picked up a Browning BAR in 243 and my wife has all but hid it from me. Extremely well made, lite and a tack driver to boot. I no they chamber it in 7 08 and 308 and 270win. That 270 might be a good one for what she is going to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the 7-08 and 270. If you look into the bars as Zbowman1 suggested then you might as well step up in cartridge size a little because they do a great job at reducing recoil. I have a bar with factory muzzle break in 300 win mag and you can hold it out in one hand and shoot until you empty the magazine. It has recoil like a .243 but it does sound like a nuclear bomb.

GKPrice

Banned
What kind of performance are you getting out of the 7mm-08?

7mm-08 will do virtually ANY big game just as well as .308, 30.06, .270, and the list goes on .......

VERY nice cartridge to shoot AND I'm sure this will get a bunch of cat calls about "fan boy" crap BUT the 6.5 Creedmor is simply another to the list of very capable BIG GAME rounds, the CM in particular is such a pleasant cartridge to work with that it's quickly become my favorite round
(I'm currently working with 4 of them, 2 Barretts, 1 Kimber Hunter, 1 Kimber MA)

GKPrice

Banned
Another vote for the 7-08 and 270. If you look into the bars as Zbowman1 suggested then you might as well step up in cartridge size a little because they do a great job at reducing recoil. I have a bar with factory muzzle break in 300 win mag and you can hold it out in one hand and shoot until you empty the magazine. It has recoil like a .243 but it does sound like a nuclear bomb.

AND feels like a heavy ice cube in hand ......... PIA to carry or hunt with IMHO

GKPrice

Banned
did i say that i was picking the rifle for her? I am buying her a rifle for our anniversary. I figured based on my post it was obvious that she is getting more involved in the sport and would want to be apart of the picking and purchasing of the rifle. I just figured i knew best for her and would be that guy that bought her a 300 win mag......

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ good one .......^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

541hunter

WKR
I bought mine the tikka t3x lite in 7mm08. She came from virtually no background in shooting and she loves it. And for how little experience she has behind, she can still out shoot a lot of guys i know. I would definitely look into putting a limb saver airtech recoil pad on it. Makes a difference.

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
My wife has tried a Kimber Montana, Tikka T3, and a Model 7. She liked the "fit" of the model 7 the best out of all of them with the Kimber being a close second. Too bad the Tikka shot the best out of all three. (7mm-08's)

I’ll also recommend the T3 in 7mm-08. It’ll kill some pretty big animals with very little kick. My 90lb. son with his cow moose and 7-08 a couple months ago.
8e16fd1dd4b97fc68418e5ca1c7e7548.jpg

I have the Browning Xbolt in .308, SS Stalker. It is the best shooting gun I have. Just put 2 in the same hole at 300 yesterday, and can shoot sub-MOA out to 700.

This is the perfect lightweight hunting rifle and what I would recommend.

dallen

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at this in the 6.5. Looks like a solid gun

I'm a big fan of that 6.5. Pleasure to shoot, accurate and can go far. My daughter shot her ram at 344 with this and my wife shot her bull moose at 200..... it's had a great first season. I bought it for myself, I'm pretty sure I'm not getting it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How happy are you with the Howa now that you have it ?

George

I have no complaints. I don't shoot it because my wife and I don't shoot the same zero. I shot it a couple times is all. It made me switch over to a 7-08 of my own though.