Hunting rifle for my wife

I'm looking at getting my wife a new hunting rifle for our anniversary this year. She hunts and has been sucessful but has always used my old .243 that I grew up with. Yes that gun works but she has really shown an interest this season, more than ever, and I would really like to get her a nice rifle. I already have a good scope that will work. Looking to spend $700-1000 on the rifle. Any help would be greatly appreciated

hodgeman

WKR
Weatherby Camilla get rave reviews from all the lady hunters that I've talked to that tried it.

Stock fit is very important for ladies since so few are proportioned like the average man (and thank God for that).

My go-to hunting rifles have been my browning X-bolt .308 and my savage model 116 .338 win mag. I love my win mag!!! I get that it might be too much bite for some girls but it fits me well and I find the recoil manageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dble07

Lil-Rokslider
Can't speak for the other ladies specific rifles but my gf loves her Savage Lady hunter in 7mm-08. Will shoot right at an inch with Nosler Accubonds.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Shackdaddy
deer, elk, antelope.... needs to be universal. She can handle a larger caliber

OP
Shackdaddy
Can't speak for the other ladies specific rifles but my gf loves her Savage Lady hunter in 7mm-08. Will shoot right at an inch with Nosler Accubonds.

What kind of performance are you getting out of the 7mm-08?

rbljack

WKR
Ive been doing a bunch of research on this topic as well. The wife has done a few mountain hunts with me, and she needs a lighter rifle to carry. Currently using a weatherby vanguard 270 with syn stock, and its just to heavy. The rifle I'm going to mention is a bit over your price, but its the one Ive been eyeing up for a bit now. Even if its not the rifle for you, the caliber research might be beneficial. I personally feel that if Elk are an option for your wife to hunt, the 243 is a bit too light. Originally I was dead set on getting her a Kimber Mountain Ascent rifle in 6.5 creedmoor or 7mm-08. But then I saw the Kimber Adirondack rifle, which is a little shorter and a little bit cheaper too. Its also available in 7mm-08 and 6.5. From what I have read and in talking with different people, the key to these calibers (on larger game) is a good quality bullet, and keeping shots under 400 yards. So that's the direction I am heading at the moment.

Now if I can just get those funds together....LOL...sigh. Good luck in your search! I am curious to hear what others mention for different rifles as well, so I can go check them out. I wish the wife had never gotten to put that Mountain ascent rifle into her hands and shoulder it at cabelas last year....when she did that...she decided it was THE one. LOL

I have no experience with either of those calibers mentioned, I'm only going off the data that I have been looking at online for the last few months, so please bear that in mind.

Last edited:
I just picked up a tikka superlite in .270 at Cabelas for a backpack hunt I have coming up, but the gun will end up going to my wife after this year. It's only a little over 7# with optics and short enough that she can easily manage it.

At the range last week I was shooting .5 moa at 200 yards with factory hornady eld-x ammo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

howl

WKR
A grown woman with some experience should be able to pick out her own rifle. Weatherby Camilla in 6.5CM seems like an obvious choice, but you really can't pick the perfect rifle for someone else. My wife went through a few before settling on the Remington Model Seven. Trying until we find what suits us best is what we all do.

wesfromky

WKR
This is good advice.

A grown woman with some experience should be able to pick out her own rifle. Weatherby Camilla in 6.5CM seems like an obvious choice, but you really can't pick the perfect rifle for someone else. My wife went through a few before settling on the Remington Model Seven. Trying until we find what suits us best is what we all do.

lcpaul22

FNG

My wife has a savage axis youth model in 7mm08 also. Seems the low recoil and short LOP are a nice fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
deer, elk, antelope.... needs to be universal. She can handle a larger caliber

The 7-08 and 6.5CM are virtually identical in the field and well suited to any of those critters when shooting good bullets at moderate range.

I've been slow to embrace smaller cartridges, but these have the right stuff. My family has tipped over quite a few caribou with these and they just plain work with moderate recoil levels. Not sure there is a wrong choice here.

desertcj

WKR
7mm08, 120gr TTSX will do 3000fps comfortably, probably 3200fps max. 140gr bullets are going to be 2800fps-3000fps and 160gr will be 2600-2800fps. The 120gr loads kick less to me than top end 105gr loads out of my .243.

6.5 creedmore, 7-08,308 any of them will get the job done. If it's not a surprise take her to a few gun stores and let her pick what fits her best. I prefer m700 or m70 but the howa 1500 and tikka T3 are good choices also.