Kodiak Gun Care

Deertick

FNG
I'm headed from Wyoming to Kodiak in a month to hunt black tails and looking for advice re: gun care in a maritime environment. I'll be taking wood stocked rifles (because I'm classy, and because that's all I own) with blued barrels, if that influences your advice.
Dealing with salt water and potential for heavy rains is going to be fairly new to me.
Any advice on specific products is appreciated.

AlaskaEd

WKR
I always carry the RemOil wipes in the single packets when I'm out with a blued gun. Usually they'll get a wipe down each evening, then the wipe is good for fire. I avoid bottles of oil, because inevitably, they will leak.

ETA: make sure your wood stock is sealed and not bare wood in all the area you can't see. You don't want anything to absorb water.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deertick

FNG
Rem Oil wipes -- good thought. I can see a bottle spilling or leaking all over my stuff in-flight.

What treatment do you recommend for the wood?

howl

WKR
I'm not in the habit of hunting in pouring rain, but I do like walnut stocks. I take all the metal off and spray several light coats of clear to waterproof the wood. I use paste wax on the metal. No problems yet, but then I haven't really put it to the test like others do.

AlaskaEd

WKR
Birchwood Casey makes some wood sealant thats good for all the unseen areas, or you could use some poly wood sealant from your local hardware store if you can't find the BC stuff. Boiled linseed oil or tung oil on the visible areas will give it a rich wood look and keep moisture out.

The most important areas for the wood are the unseen areas. Those will hold moisture and you can't wipe them off without disassembling the gun.