Kimber Mountain Ascent opinions needed

Stid2677

WKR
Here is a side by side... I noticed about 200 fps slower than published velocity with my adirondack against factory ammo data, my hand loads were slower than predicted too, but still plenty fast and accurate.

reaauJPh.jpg

Medic77

Lil-Rokslider
Stid2677, I am not sure why I even opened this thread to read but am so glad I did. That picture is awesome and would love to see the whole wall.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
So my son is two, so really this a new rifle for me mostly. I will likely buy another rifle "for him" in the next 8 eight years that will suit him fine. For all you dedicated sheep hunters out there, would you pay the extra to knock 5-6 oz off your rifle? I'm fully aware of the shooting challenges that a sub 6 lb rifle might entail, but i'm willing to accept that. It's worth mentioning that I'm not going to pay full retail for the MA, more like $1300.

WildWill, i'm also curious to hear opinions about the barrel length difference between the MA and the Adirondack. A 22" barrel still isn't very long.

Do you live in Alaska? I have a brand new in box Kimber Mountain Ascent in 6.5 Creedmoor I will be posting to sell if you are interested. I already have two other 6.5 creedmoors so this one won't be getting used.

*Edit nevermind you aren't wanting a 6.5.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Do you live in Alaska? I have a brand new in box Kimber Mountain Ascent in 6.5 Creedmoor I will be posting to sell if you are interested. I already have two other 6.5 creedmoors so this one won't be getting used.

*Edit nevermind you aren't wanting a 6.5.

How much are you asking for it?

slick

WKR
Wow..That is an amazing room Stid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Medic77

Lil-Rokslider
That is everything I hoped it would be Stid. Thank you. If you need help with storage for any of those mounts, I have plenty of room on my Ram wall. Wait, that's empty.😁

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the ram tops on the vintage pack boards. Classy in the 375H&H or old Winchester ad sense. When I dream of hunting, as a child and still today--its the safaris of days gone and the treacherous mountain trail ads with the only passage blocked by bear with his handy Winchester being the only key to passage--all in enamel coated tin.

Shoulder mounts are super cool--but with a little creativity, there are some very interesting alternatives. Very well done sir.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
7mm-08 is an excellent round.

Careful with those son plans. Mine turned out left handed and really foiled my plans. Only thing I got right for him was a. I've little 20 gauge Browning pump!

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
7mm-08 is the path I would take-particularly for the lighter bullets.

BrentC

FNG
I picked up an adirondack in .308 weighs 4.10lbs. I was looking for one in 7-08 but got a deal mine went that direction, glad i did shoots great and so far eats everything I've fed it.

Jimbob

WKR
My ten year old son shoots a Ruger American Compact in 7mm-08 (18" barrel). Loaded up some 140 grain Partitions and we are getting 2550 fps. We just moved to BC so no experience with it yet. We plan on using it on everything though, goats, deer, bear, moose, and sheep.

AXEL

WKR
I dunno, but, I would not use a 7-08 for packing hunts in Grizzly country and would suggest a .30-06-180NPt. as the practical minimum.

My full custom, U/L 7-08, was built by Kendall Industries, with the late Mick McPhee, for Mitch's personal sheep shooter. It is a superb piece and even better since I just added a Murphy Precision Ti rail and the last set of his rings he made with a silver Leupy VX3-2.5x8 installed. It is my coastal deer rifle and light to hand carry all day in the tall and uncut for snap shots.

Mitch, told me himself, he is a former guide in the north and BC CO, lots of bush experience and wisdom, that on his first Stone's trip with it, they encountered a Grizzly and he felt almost unarmed. I certainly "get" that as I used to spend 3 month stints alone in northern BC, no breaks and one heli-supply trip all season......I had my share of meetings with the large, furry characters and usually carry a .338WM, now 9.3x62s and often used one of my .375s in the bush with the AFS.

I love Sevens, have 7x57, 7-08, 280R, 280AI and .270Win. rifles, but, where you live and further north, I don't pack these as I am too damned old to scarper from a bear :)

JMHO, no offence intended.