Custom Action Deals?

willidru

WKR
At some point hopefully sooner than later I'd like to have couple custom rifles built. Planning to buy pieces as I find good deals. I seem to see deals on stocks, triggers, bottom metal, ect... but not much in the way of actions.

Does anyone ever see anything like defiance, lone peak, borden ever go on sale? Or just need to bite the bullet and spend the money or wait for one to come up in the classifieds?

With most top action makers backlogged on orders there is little incentive for them to offer sales. You might save on shipping and taxes buying from online classifieds but significant savings are rare. Maybe a used action could save you a bit..

IMO its worth it to just pony up for what you want in actions. I tried to save money on an action with my first custom build by going PTG blueprinted Rem 700 action and wish I would have just ponied up for a bighorn or defiance.

Just a heads up. There is a place called Bugholes.com. They keep a lot of actions in inventory. The gunsmith that originally built my rifle ended up buying the action from them. Stiller's backlog was several more months, and it had already been 2 months past the "completed by" date the gunsmith promised.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

wildcat33

WKR
Greg at southern precision is great (bugholes). Actions and barrels in stock for most common contours/calibers/twists. I bought a tac 30 and a bartlein #3 from him and had both in a week.

The best "deal" on a used action is going to be in the form of a complete custom rifle used in the classifieds. IMO. All the fancy smithing and bedding is a sunk cost when a rifle goes up used. Ive seen some incredible rifles for sale at probably half what it cost to build them.

JigStick

WKR
Borden actions "on sale"? LMFAO. that's one of the funniest things Ive ever heard. I wish man. BAT actions as well. Like others have said. The custom action makers are so back logged with work they don't need to put anything on sale. Im surprised more of them haven't jacked prices up actually. Ive waited over 1.5yrs for some of my BAT actions. Stiller seems to have them available on the shelf most of the time.