Leupold VX3i or something else?

Thinking about scope options for the new 6.5 CM. Leaning towards a VX3i and thinking about trying a CDS dial. I have an FX3 6x with the long range duplex on my .338 and I really like it. No problems hitting the gong at 400-500 yds.

I’ll be honest, I’d love to really get into long range shooting, but I just don’t have the time to dedicate myself to it. I’m mostly a bow hunter anyways. I rifle hunt mostly for spring bear and occasionally deer.

My realistic imposed range is 400, but I’d like to practice and maybe learn to shoot longer distances at some point.

Any scope suggestions? Will the CDS be fine for what I want? Should I just stick to an FX3 type scope and use the LR reticle?

Other scopes to consider in the $500 range?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am the same profile as you...mostly bowhunt. Rifles are largely for predators to maybe 400. I have a VX-2 and a 3 with CDS etched for load. Love them and would highly recommend. Incidentally, you can interchange the CDS caps between the 2 & 3.

GKPrice

Banned
I am the same profile as you...mostly bowhunt. Rifles are largely for predators to maybe 400. I have a VX-2 and a 3 with CDS etched for load. Love them and would highly recommend. Incidentally, you can interchange the CDS caps between the 2 & 3.

there are myriad of threads addressing dialing for range scopes, unfortunately Leupold is not in the running if you are buying the scope with that purpose in mind (I say unfortunately because I grew up 3 miles from Beaverton headquarters and can't even begin to count how many folks I have known who worked for Leupold - I have long touted the FX3 6x's as a do all big game scope but I now use 3.5 x 10 x 40mm's and only shoot long on 10X using the wide duplex - if you study "your" animal that gets you to 600 yards simply - Leupold still "owns" the lightweight brand and that's my main focus these days

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I just ordered up a VX2 2-7x33 to try. I don't need anything fancy for this setup and wanted a smaller scope with lower power. Hold overs are not an issue.

Wildwillalaska

Lil-Rokslider
No idea how folks around here feel about them, but for hunting purposes if you are not looking to shoot out past 500 yards, the Boone & Crockett reticle has proven super handy for my purposes over the past several years. Have several rifles wearing them now from 270 up to 338wm. While they are not as spot on as the tracking of a solid tracking turret on one of my NXS or S&B PMII's--but I also do not have to worry about it getting turned while pulling from my pack or the like, and is actually far closer than you would imagine. I zero at 200, then the next crosshair is 300, then 400, then 450 then 500. You have to ensure you are turned to the correct power depending on which group your chambering falls into. What is really nice is the spacial arrangement of the different marks at range also helps with hold overs by showing realistically on target at the given range, the amount of drop between the two options.

I have close to 10 Nightforce NXS scopes, one that is a good hunting option in their 2.5-10x42, as well a couple S&B's--great scopes and love them, but only one of them is on my hunting rifles. They are simply amazing options if you have the weight factored in and don't have the knuckleheaded problems I have--getting ready to fire realizing you haven't readjusted the turret. It's likely just me, but our range goes out past 1200 yards and we have steel set up from 200 yards all the way out past 1000 at all times. I like switching between the steel each shot at times, just for grins, but also have to admit that when I haven't received the pleasing splash and ding of the rung steel, i know exactly why--I didn't adjust the turret. While I am not going to say I am some masterful mental wizard--I am not the dullest pencil in the box either--and I often forget to readjust the turret. Whether its shooting the bull with my buddy next to me, or just deciding which one to ring next, or even distraction when setting my rangefinder down and it sliding off its case--something takes me off my normal routine and that important step is missed.

Quality turret with proven tracking are nothing short of amazing--but fail miserably if you don't remember to set or reset them properly to the shot you are about to make. Sounds simple enough, but I have enough of a problem I've just decided for me, unless shooting out past 500 yards, I have capped scopes and with the boone and crockett reticle I dont think I'm missing out.

If I think I would shoot out past 500, then I do have the 2.5-10x42 NXS that is perfect except as compact as it is, its still super heavy. And I am constantly looking down to ensure I haven't knocked the adjustment. I must admit, other than pulling out of my barneys frame pack, I have not ever had it twist due to the force it requires to turn--but my biggest fear is me forgetting to adjust or readjust. I may be just too much of a space cadet too.

GKPrice

Banned
No idea how folks around here feel about them, but for hunting purposes if you are not looking to shoot out past 500 yards, the Boone & Crockett reticle has proven super handy for my purposes over the past several years. Have several rifles wearing them now from 270 up to 338wm. While they are not as spot on as the tracking of a solid tracking turret on one of my NXS or S&B PMII's--but I also do not have to worry about it getting turned while pulling from my pack or the like, and is actually far closer than you would imagine. I zero at 200, then the next crosshair is 300, then 400, then 450 then 500. You have to ensure you are turned to the correct power depending on which group your chambering falls into. What is really nice is the spacial arrangement of the different marks at range also helps with hold overs by showing realistically on target at the given range, the amount of drop between the two options.

I have close to 10 Nightforce NXS scopes, one that is a good hunting option in their 2.5-10x42, as well a couple S&B's--great scopes and love them, but only one of them is on my hunting rifles. They are simply amazing options if you have the weight factored in and don't have the knuckleheaded problems I have--getting ready to fire realizing you haven't readjusted the turret. It's likely just me, but our range goes out past 1200 yards and we have steel set up from 200 yards all the way out past 1000 at all times. I like switching between the steel each shot at times, just for grins, but also have to admit that when I haven't received the pleasing splash and ding of the rung steel, i know exactly why--I didn't adjust the turret. While I am not going to say I am some masterful mental wizard--I am not the dullest pencil in the box either--and I often forget to readjust the turret. Whether its shooting the bull with my buddy next to me, or just deciding which one to ring next, or even distraction when setting my rangefinder down and it sliding off its case--something takes me off my normal routine and that important step is missed.

Quality turret with proven tracking are nothing short of amazing--but fail miserably if you don't remember to set or reset them properly to the shot you are about to make. Sounds simple enough, but I have enough of a problem I've just decided for me, unless shooting out past 500 yards, I have capped scopes and with the boone and crockett reticle I dont think I'm missing out.

If I think I would shoot out past 500, then I do have the 2.5-10x42 NXS that is perfect except as compact as it is, its still super heavy. And I am constantly looking down to ensure I haven't knocked the adjustment. I must admit, other than pulling out of my barneys frame pack, I have not ever had it twist due to the force it requires to turn--but my biggest fear is me forgetting to adjust or readjust. I may be just too much of a space cadet too.

I thought you were describing ME for a minute ! B & C reticle, although a bit busy for me, is a very valid choice as well IME

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Forgetting to reset a turret means that the proper shot process has not been trained correctly and ingrained in.

wapitibob

WKR
Couldn't give me another Leupold.
I spent the money on an NXS but if price is a factor, look on promotive and get the best you can afford.

OP
F
no

I have a 45 year old Weaver that held together better than that $1000 Leupold.

I’ve had some bad luck with the cheaper Leupold scopes like the VX1, but always been happy with my FX3’s.

I’m sure there’s a lot to like when you jump to $1,000-1,500 scopes, but I’d rather put that money elsewhere. Just not serious enough about guns to push me there.

My pro deals include Weaver, Steiner, Aimpoint, and Vortex, but the “deals” aren’t that great and I pretty much don’t have much faith in those brands. I’ve always had Leupold scopes on my guns and aside from the cheap models, they’ve served me well.

Bob, what would you get if you had $500 or under?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
Form, who posted above shoots about 80,000 rounds/year. I'd send him a pm, he'll give good info. He sees scopes come apart or lose zero every day. If I recall, he likes the swfa for a lower price point scope.

mtmuley

WKR
I don't shoot 80,000 rounds a year. Leupolds work great for me. I even twist them a bit. I know Form knows his shit, but, most hunters buy a scope with turrets, and never hardly use it. I've used mine out to 1000. Never gonna kill anything that far, but it's fun smacking steel. I have a 45 year old Weaver too. It sucks. mtmuley

EastMT

WKR
no

I have a 45 year old Weaver that held together better than that $1000 Leupold.

I have heard of a lot of problems with the 3i and above scopes. I don't spend a lot on scopes as my antique vx2 have all lasted since my youth. I put a vx1 2-7 on a 325 Browning TI, I will see how that holds up. So far one shot one kill. But it's a hell of a recoil, time will tell.

I do love my weaver 4x dot scope!