What rifle am I trying to buy?

WyoElk

WKR
Im looking for a new rifle but am struggling to find the perfect one. I can list out my criteria and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions:

-Budget: sub $2200 for the rifle. I have a Leopold VX5 i will top it with.
-Purpose: Elk, I'm leaning real hard toward a .30 caliber option. (I have a .257bee for smaller game so no worries there)
-I like a fluted barrel
-Would like a removable muzzle brake.
-Looking to keep it lightweight, but not too lightweight. I want it to be 8lbs or less scoped.

I really like the Weatherby outfitter but its toward the top of my budget and the bigger issue is the 300WBY only comes in a 28" barrel which I feel like is too long for hunting. Thats the only .30 caliber option in that gun. Im also considering the Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in 300WM which has a 24" tube.

What other rifles fit my bill? Thank you in advance for the help. I should also add that I’m a hand loader so there is that but I also want to be able to afford shooting the thing.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Remington 700 CDL SF in 30-06

Personally, I would buy a Remington Model Seven SS in 308 and use the extra money on a hunt or reloading supplies.

wapitibob

WKR
A 28" barrel is a non issue.
You can easily build you own for $2200; you only need a smith to true the action and to chamber/crown the barrel.

AlaskaEd

WKR
Nosler M48s look like they'd fit your bill perfectly. I've never owned one but drooled over them several times.

Also, the Kimber Mountain Ascent in 300WM checks every box you listed above. You could get one and have it painted for well under your budget.

WestNE

WKR
Find a deal on a Fierce Edge! In my opinion no better deal for the money. Comes with a half MOA guarantee and they mean it!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I would like to give a CA ridgeline a whirl, you might pick 300 WM, but I would likely roll with a 28 Nosler. :)

OP
W

WyoElk

WKR
Are you guys suggesting the ridgelne because you think it's a better rifle than the Weatherby? Thank you for the other suggestions too, gets the gears turning.

Jimbo V

WKR
Barrett Fieldcraft? Luke just did a write up and seemed pretty impressed with them. No personal experience, just throwing out there as something to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With that budget I would look around for a semi-custom rifle chambered in 28 Nosler. There are tons of places that have them on-line.

A .280 AI would be another option and I'd almost recommend it over the 28 Nosler if you reload.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I use a Model Seven SS 7 SAUM in a B&C Medalist with a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS sitting in Talley lightweight rings on my western hunts. I'm shooting 160 grain Accubonds 2950 fps with great accuracy.

Good luck with your search and post pics of what you decide to get.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I would like to give a CA ridgeline a whirl, you might pick 300 WM, but I would likely roll with a 28 Nosler. :)

Yep. Fits all your criteria. 30-06, 300 Win, 30 Nosler all available.

Kimber also has 30-06, 300 long and short mags.

C Bow

WKR
I bought a Kimber Arondak in 308 and was super surprised at how well it shoots Hornady super performance 150 SST I did clean and lap barrel 2880 fps from 18 in barrel

I went with the Ridgeline in 30 Nosler and topped with the VX-5HD in Hawkins Rings. I haven’t killed anything yet but it shoots and carries real nice. I would also look at the Christensen Mesa and long range. The Barret and Nosler rifles are also getting rave reviews.

For cartridge selection I was considering the 300 WM or 300 WSM. The shorter action and barrel on the short Mag were very attractive. MidwayUSA was having a sale on 30 Nosler factory ammo, so that sealed the deal. With reloading I will never buy another round for my hunting rifle.

300 yards. Group during break in.

01EA2D53-76C7-4D57-ADF7-2DF54036C3C0.jpg

F44D6501-B73B-42C0-BA43-1380C681606B.jpg
E653627D-0AC6-492F-B857-B62F644FEFB5.jpg

GKPrice

Banned
Quit stressing and go to the nearest SW, buy a Tikka T3x SL in 300 Win Mag (better yet, a 30.06) - put a mountain Tactical rail on it and any lightweight rings you want - change out the recoil pad for a Limbsaver Aircell, buy an extra magazine to keep in your pocket (loaded), then go hunting - you'll hit what you aim at, won't have any malfunctions and have money left over for more guns

OR you could spend a bunch of money on some other aforementioned rifle and then post your complaints on RokSlide .......

Quit stressing and go to the nearest SW, buy a Tikka T3x SL in 300 Win Mag (better yet, a 30.06) - put a mountain Tactical rail on it and any lightweight rings you want - change out the recoil pad for a Limbsaver Aircell, buy an extra magazine to keep in your pocket (loaded), then go hunting - you'll hit what you aim at, won't have any malfunctions and have money left over for more guns

OR you could spend a bunch of money on some other aforementioned rifle and then post your complaints on RokSlide .......
agreed.
my tikka t3 superlite in 30-06 with a simple vx3 3.5-10 with CDS hits what I aim at out to 450 and carries over 1500 ft-lb of energy to boot, I know you wanted a removeable brake, but shouldn't need one with an 06 especially if you put a limbsaver on the tikka.
it seems funny to think about, but hand loading a 30-06 and you should be able to get some real capable loads. i know stid2667 on here has a load shooting 180 grain accubonds out of his 06 at over 2900 fps.
I know the tikka isn't flashy, or fancy..but you could upgrade the stock and it would probably feel a whole lot nicer.
now...if i wanted to shoot past 450 yards...i'd be looking at a magnum.
good luck, buying new guns is always fun

Last edited: