Glock 20

Zbowman1

WKR
I’m ready to pull the trigger on a G20 for my primary backcountry carry. I went into my local shop today and was surprised to find a G20 gen3 on sale for 499$ and looks like I can pick up a gen4 for 599$. The guy working the counter told me the gen5’s were rolling in but he didn’t have a 20 yet. So what to do? This will be my first Glock, the Gen4 felt better in hand and comes with 3 mags. Dose the dual spring make a big difference? Any advice would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlaskaEd

WKR
The dual spring makes it a little more of a pain to change recoil springs if you ever wanted to practice or plink with 40sw, otherwise it doesn't really matter either way. If the gen 4 felt better, you probably were looking at the gen 3 standard (non-SF) version. Look for the "SF" version, it has the same grip as the gen 4. Mags are about $25 a piece, so that's really not a big deal. If it were me, I'd get a Gen 3 SF model or shop around for a better price on the gen 4. $599 is pretty much the standard price everyone lists them at. They can often be found for $550 or less.

Dual spring ? I wasnt even aware of this ? I must use older generation models. The use of a simple $8 slid over grip sleeve or piece of bicycle tube is standard set up procedure on all Glocks I use. This is do to the way I prefer my grips vs stock glock grips which I feel fills in any extra space you have in the grip ( I have larger hands). .Glock are very customization friendly with many parts available and very easy to work on. The G20 is easy to shoot and puts alot of heavy lead downrange in a familiar ( to me) platform.. I enjoy.

JWP58

WKR
I would j7st get the gen 3, but that's coming from someone that only shoots a 35 and 23. I would save the $$

I think it could be a while before they release the gen 5 g20. So far I believe it is only the 17 and 19.

The Gen 4 is a little softer to shoot. Not sure on the 10 as I own 9's.
I was the kind that sat in my mom's basement and bashed Glocks. Then I bought a 27. Then I bought a 23C. Then a 26, then I sold the 40's and bought a 19 and a 34 and a 42 worked its way in there. Obviously yes, an expensive 1911 will shoot better. I don't know why people argue this. Like saying a Corvette is better than an Impala! Well duh, but that Impala will do everything you need. I've never had an issue with my Glocks. And the ability to tinker on them and customize them is very important. I can swap the sights out in minutes.
Enjoy you're new Glock!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

duchntr

WKR
Buy whichever one you like more, I like my gen 4 glocks over the gen 3 just for the grip alone, don't really care about the dual captured springs. My gen 3 g20 grip felt a bit too big for my hands so I did a grip reduction on it and its much better now. Also if you are a cop or card carrying vet check out glocks blue label pricing program pretty sweet deal they do.

I would get the gen 3 because of the ability to get a stainless recoil spring guide rod and a heavier spring either a 22# or 24#. Maybe the gen 4 has some sort of option like this now (it didn't when they came out). If the primary purpose is a woods carry gun then you will be carrying big heavy recoiling rounds and the heavier springs help me get back on target quicker and I have less felt shock in my hand. The best bullets in my opinion are the beartooth if you reload or the Double Tap 200 grain WFNGC hardcast. I'm not a huge fan of Double Tap but when you research hardcast bullet design it really is the best bullet. The double tap is basically a copy of the beartooth as that is what they used to use. The Double Taps are very accurate for me in a standard glock barrel. There is also Montana Bullet Works I haven't shot that many yet but am close to having a load worked up with their 200 grain and Hi-Tek coating and they leave zero fouling in my barrel. The Double Taps I can shoot 15-30 before I need to shoot some jacketed rounds or clean it.

AdamW

WKR
Unless you're really holding your breath for a future Gen 5 due to features, I'd just pick between the 3 and 4, whichever you like better. A 20SF Gen 3 would probably be my choice. Have fun! I need a 10mm for sure. :D

hwy1strat

WKR
I would probably get the Gen 3 because of the price. Maybe you can negotiate a little bit lower of a price now that the gen 5's are on their way. You can always replace the spring with an aftermarket one or wait until you wear it out

hwy1strat

WKR
Unrelated to which one to get but I would recommend getting an $80 for a Lone Wolf 40 conversion barrel. It's a lot easier to shoot when I practice with it now and my accuracy with it when shooting 10mm has gotten better as well. You don't have to change anything else out and 40 ammo is easier to find/cheaper

howl

WKR
It's just a Glock no matter what you do. Get whichever feels best and get on with it.

Daniel_M

WKR
Echo the above.

Gen 3 SF
Stainless guide/spring 22-24#
Aftermarket Barrel (if running lead).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That would be a no brainer for me, gen 3 all day long. I have 2 already but if I saw one at that price, Id have 3.

Put it in a Gunfighters inc kenai chest rig and be done with it.

AlaskaEd

WKR
Unrelated to which one to get but I would recommend getting an $80 for a Lone Wolf 40 conversion barrel. It's a lot easier to shoot when I practice with it now and my accuracy with it when shooting 10mm has gotten better as well. You don't have to change anything else out and 40 ammo is easier to find/cheaper

You can safely and reliably shoot 40 with the factory 10mm barrel. I've shot tons like that. Heck I shot USPSA matches with it until I got an aftermarket barrel for shooting cast lead.

Beendare

WKR
Echo the above.

Gen 3 SF
Stainless guide/spring 22-24#
Aftermarket Barrel (if running lead).

I would agree. I shot the gen3 sf and its nice....my buddy did change out the barrel and springs for the more potent loads. I would also recommend function checking your Glock if you use these different cartridges as I've heard of FTF issues with the big meplat hardcast bullets.

Can you imagine an FTF on a charging grizz? I know guys that have since gone to the Lehigh and Underwood cartridges for that reason as they fed flawlessly. The penetration on those is about what you get with the Buffalo bore bullets...or better.

matthewmt

WKR
I vote for gen3 SF and am looking at one this yr for Xmas. The long slide 10mm model Glock 40 maybe? Looks like a solid contender tho believe they are 6" bbls

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've had a Gen 3 SF G20 for 6 years and I absolutely love it. Fits my hand like a glove and is super accurate. Handloading is pretty darn easy for it as well.

Brendan

WKR
I would get the gen 3 because of the ability to get a stainless recoil spring guide rod and a heavier spring either a 22# or 24#. Maybe the gen 4 has some sort of option like this now (it didn't when they came out). .

Gen 4 has that option too, replacement barrels as well.

I would get the gen 3 because of the ability to get a stainless recoil spring guide rod and a heavier spring either a 22# or 24#. Maybe the gen 4 has some sort of option like this now (it didn't when they came out). If the primary purpose is a woods carry gun then you will be carrying big heavy recoiling rounds and the heavier springs help me get back on target quicker and I have less felt shock in my hand. The best bullets in my opinion are the beartooth if you reload or the Double Tap 200 grain WFNGC hardcast. I'm not a huge fan of Double Tap but when you research hardcast bullet design it really is the best bullet. The double tap is basically a copy of the beartooth as that is what they used to use. The Double Taps are very accurate for me in a standard glock barrel. There is also Montana Bullet Works I haven't shot that many yet but am close to having a load worked up with their 200 grain and Hi-Tek coating and they leave zero fouling in my barrel. The Double Taps I can shoot 15-30 before I need to shoot some jacketed rounds or clean it.

This ^^^^^^^ Get the Gen 3 and Modify as, above ^^^ That's what I did, too ! I shot 180 grain Hornady's JHP's at 1200+ FPS, with, the 22 Pound Recoil Spg. over a Wolff Spring Guide. Note the 22 lb. Spring needs 1100 FPS Min to Cycle action ( my Gun ! ). The 10 MM ain't a "Target" Gun ! The Double taps, Chro'd only, 1,100FPS in my Gun but were accurate ! One reason I chose to go "this Route" also, was to keep from beating the Glock to death with,.. the Heavy Loads !
Good luck on your "Choice"