What scope for Barrett Fieldcraft

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
I have to agree with GKPrice. It is never a good idea to violate one of the “Rules of Firearms”.....Never point your weapon at anything you are not willing to destroy. Just like we don’t do “searches” with weapon mounted lights. Instead carry and use a handheld flashlight. Just my 2 cents.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe he meant he would not need the spotter to see his hits when he was target shooting because his scope goes to 18 power

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ajsawyer

FNG
I don't use my scope for spotting when hunting, I always have 10x binoculars with me and sometimes use a spotting scope. I also use a rangefinder with a 7x magnification. Once I pick something out with the binos that I'm interested in shooting, I range it then get in a shooting position and look at it through the scope before I make the decision to disengage the safety and pull the trigger.

I don't know that there's any other way to do it. Am I the only one that waits for a good shot? This can take a few minutes. It just so happens that sometimes I can see detail through the scope that I couldn't see with the binos. Buttons on what looked like a doe, etc. I have shot all but one of my deer in low light conditions (<30 minutes of shooting light left).

Please don't load your rifle and run around the woods using your scope as binoculars to scan your surroundings - not only is that stupid but it would probably wear out your arms, even with a fieldcraft.

GKPrice

Banned
I agree with GKPrice - just wanted to present a few reasons for more magnification. Last year in Texas on the last day of my week long trip I spotted a buck on the ranch I was hunting at 300 yards with only 15 or so minutes of shooting light left. I couldn't tell which buck it was with my 10x binoculars and didn't have a spotting scope. With this 3-18x50 i was able to identify the buck and take the shot with confidence. Situations like that are few and far between, but I wouldn't have taken the shot in that light with only 10x.

thank you for the clarification - I think what you're asking is more personal preference and hunting style than anything - For a long time now I've not been willing to trade carrying more weight and imbalance in lieu of quicker handling and simple less weight - Again, probably more personal choice than anything else

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I don't use my scope for spotting when hunting, I always have 10x binoculars with me and sometimes use a spotting scope. I also use a rangefinder with a 7x magnification. Once I pick something out with the binos that I'm interested in shooting, I range it then get in a shooting position and look at it through the scope before I make the decision to disengage the safety and pull the trigger.

I don't know that there's any other way to do it. Am I the only one that waits for a good shot? This can take a few minutes. It just so happens that sometimes I can see detail through the scope that I couldn't see with the binos. Buttons on what looked like a doe, etc. I have shot all but one of my deer in low light conditions (<30 minutes of shooting light left).

Please don't load your rifle and run around the woods using your scope as binoculars to scan your surroundings - not only is that stupid but it would probably wear out your arms, even with a fieldcraft.

I certainly don't get in the gun every time I see a animal in my binos....mostly because the ones I spot with my binos are usually WAY beyond shooting range. As such a spotter is key. If it is close enough to hit with my rangefinder (1200-1700 yards depending on conditions) then its either time to get closer for a stalk or usually get in the spotter. 18X isn't going to tell me much over 12X of my binos mostly because two eyes are better than one IME. Especially in Fieldcraft range if a animal pops out and I am within range of what I'd shoot to kill with my Fieldcraft ultralight rifle then my 12X binos are more than enough to tell if its a critter I want to kill cause its gonna be within 500-600 yards.

Some days I would look like I am doing dang calisthenics if I was getting prone behind the gun everytime a caribou or deer came out. :) Nah I will stick to either assessing them with binos or a spotter and leave the scope to steering the bullet when I do decide its an animal (came to that conclusion looking through binos or a spotter).

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Following up here

What scope did you end up getting? How is it shooting? Any pics of the setup?

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
I just put a SWFA 3-9x42 30mm scope on my Barrett Fieldcraft 308. If I knew how, I would post a picture. Total rifle/scope/base/rings weight is 6lbs 11.875oz.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I just put a SWFA 3-9x42 30mm scope on my Barrett Fieldcraft 308. If I knew how, I would post a picture. Total rifle/scope/base/rings weight is 6lbs 11.875oz.

Here is yours:
yOMFECV.jpg

Looks almost like mine though yours is lighter with a larger hole in the barrel and mine having the QD attachement for the Spartan bipod, otherwise everything else is the same/same.
H9os4wW.jpg

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Here is yours:
yOMFECV.jpg

Looks almost like mine though yours is lighter with a larger hole in the barrel and mine having the QD attachement for the Spartan bipod, otherwise everything else is the same/same.
H9os4wW.jpg

Can i ask you if you would buy one of these again? looking for a superlight 6.5 creed and don't want a tikka.

Sako76

WKR
I own a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor (21" barrel) and a set of low 1" Talley's. I'm either going to put a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS or a VX-3 4.5-14x40 CDS on it. Leaning towards the 4.5-14x40.