What scope for Barrett Fieldcraft

kravguy

WKR
For those of you that own Barrett Fieldcraft rifles, curious to see what scopes you have been putting on them? I've been thinking of trying out a 6x42 SWFA scope for mine. This would be my first fixed powered scope though, and I'm a little hesitant since I've always had multi-powered. For guys that have been shooting fixed power, have you ever wished you could reach up and dial it to 9X or higher to zoom in a bit more?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I put a 3-10X42 NF SHV on mine. But I think the 6X is a good choice as well for a lot less money.

I found for shooting out to 500-600 the 9X or 10X is easier for me, but lots of guys with much more experience shooting that far aren't hampered at all by a 6X. I was down to choosing either the 3-9X42 SWFA or the 3-10X42 SHV. I picked up the SHV for the same price the 3-9 SWFA was so I went that route. I do have a 3-9X42 SWFA SS for sale now as the rifle I had it on is gone now if you are interested though.

1JrSqka.jpg

Of course its like 22 oz and with the cheek riser I strapped on the back it takes the package up to just over 7 pounds....but I can live with that...even if my other lightweight rifle is nearly 3 pounds lighter I know the Barrett can accurately shoot 3 times as far. :)

If this is any help in the decision.

All 4 animals I shot this fall were on 6x.

4 out of 5 trophy animals I popped in New Zealand were at 7.5 power.

I think the fx-3 6x42 with tmr reticle might be another lighter option then swfa or shv lrhs ilk.

hodgeman

WKR
I've set up mine and a buddy's... I used a VX3 2.5-8x36 on mine that I had laying around and my buddy bought a FX3 6x42.

I really liked that 6x42 on the Fieldcraft a lot. Good fit for the rifle and the hunting he'll do with it. He's mostly hunting deer out to 350-400yds with most shots at half that.

I've done a fair bit of shooting with mine and the 2.5-8x works will and has a low profile. I tagged a caribou at 339 yards, pretty easy shot all things considered.

duchntr

WKR
I don't have a fieldcraft but I do have a fixed 6 on my main hunting iron. As for magnification I don't find myself wanting more or less in 99% of the shooting scenarios I find myself in while hunting. For target practice and what id consider long range I wouldn't mind a few more x's but for a straight hunting rig I won't be trading in my trusty old 6x.

WKR
Using a 6x SWFA, I shot my bear at 600 yards last year. Didn't notice it handicapping me in anyway. It is very repeatable and with the upcoming black Friday sale, very cost effective. Have a few of them.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I've been pretty pleased with my Vortex Razor LH 3-15x42. If I remember correctly it comes in right at 16oz

Another vote for Vortex LH Razor, but for the 2-10x40 version with the HSR reticle.

I have been through Ziess Victory and Conquest, Swaro Z6 and Sheep Hunter, Vortex LH Razor in the 3-15x42 and 2-10x40, and I keep coming back to this one. It's not the most expensive or powerful, but for some reason it is my favorite to look through. I have it on my Cooper 52 .300 win mag, but if get one these fieldcrafts (looking hard at a 7mm-08), I will get another one of these for it.

JWP58

WKR
Using a 6x SWFA, I shot my bear at 600 yards last year. Didn't notice it handicapping me in anyway. It is very repeatable and with the upcoming black Friday sale, very cost effective. Have a few of them.

Do they have a zero stop?

GKPrice

Banned
I put a VX3 2.5 x 8 on mine (formerly mine) and my son's wears a Swarovski 3 x 10 - my new MA has a VX3 3.5 x 10

Neither of these rifles are anything close to a "long range" rig, they're built to hunt with - Even "IF" I were a long range shooter, which I'm not,
dialing when shooting a rifle like a Fieldcraft makes absolutely sense to me, nor does mounting a scope that weighs north of 16oz

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Do they have a zero stop?

No, but a garden hose washer makes a very functional one.

I put a VX3 2.5 x 8 on mine (formerly mine) and my son's wears a Swarovski 3 x 10 - my new MA has a VX3 3.5 x 10

Neither of these rifles are anything close to a "long range" rig, they're built to hunt with - Even "IF" I were a long range shooter, which I'm not,
dialing when shooting a rifle like a Fieldcraft makes absolutely sense to me, nor does mounting a scope that weighs north of 16oz

The center is always the center, and hit rates go up when crosshairs are pasted directly on the target. Anytime that you have to account for drop/drift (300+ yards), hit rates are higher when you put the center of the reticle on the center of the target.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Another vote for Vortex LH Razor, but for the 2-10x40 version with the HSR reticle.

I have been through Ziess Victory and Conquest, Swaro Z6 and Sheep Hunter, Vortex LH Razor in the 3-15x42 and 2-10x40, and I keep coming back to this one. It's not the most expensive or powerful, but for some reason it is my favorite to look through. I have it on my Cooper 52 .300 win mag, but if get one these fieldcrafts (looking hard at a 7mm-08), I will get another one of these for it.

I agree. I have both the 3-15X42 Razor LH (BDC reticle not sure why haha) and I recently put a 2-10 Razor LH (HSR reticle) on my 338-06 Kimber Montana and I really like how it fits on there and the reticle seems pretty workable at 10X. But I am not shooting beyond 400 yards with this rifle.

Last edited:

GKPrice

Banned
No, but a garden hose washer makes a very functional one.

The center is always the center, and hit rates go up when crosshairs are pasted directly on the target. Anytime that you have to account for drop/drift (300+ yards), hit rates are higher when you put the center of the reticle on the center of the target.

that reminds me, Formidilosus, have you ever tried a Leupold that Premier Reticle did dials / mildot on while they were still doing Leupolds ?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
that reminds me, Formidilosus, have you ever tried a Leupold that Premier Reticle did dials / mildot on while they were still doing Leupolds ?

Yes sir. They performed significantly better than current Leupolds do. But we also had less problems with older Leupolds as a whole.

I put a 3-10X42 NF SHV on mine. But I think the 6X is a good choice as well for a lot less money.

I found for shooting out to 500-600 the 9X or 10X is easier for me, but lots of guys with much more experience shooting that far aren't hampered at all by a 6X. I was down to choosing either the 3-9X42 SWFA or the 3-10X42 SHV. I picked up the SHV for the same price the 3-9 SWFA was so I went that route. I do have a 3-9X42 SWFA SS for sale now as the rifle I had it on is gone now if you are interested though.

1JrSqka.jpg

Of course its like 22 oz and with the cheek riser I strapped on the back it takes the package up to just over 7 pounds....but I can live with that...even if my other lightweight rifle is nearly 3 pounds lighter I know the Barrett can accurately shoot 3 times as far. :)

What are you asking for the SWFW 3-9?

ajsawyer

FNG
The first thing I consider when deciding on glass is whether I am going to have a spotting scope with me when I shoot. High magnification scopes are really handy for seeing your hits at the range and for checking for sex / antlers / etc at longer ranges while hunting - if you don't have a spotting scope handy. Yes you can put a lightweight 2-7x scope on your fieldcraft and be just as deadly at 500 yards as you would be with a 6-24x, but unless you have a spotting scope you might have a hard time figuring out whether the animal is legal at that distance.

If you don't plan on shooting that far or are limited by terrain, you won't be limited by a lower magnification scope.

I put a 3-18x50 on mine because I usually don't have a spotting scope with me and I like to shoot targets.

20171015_142113.jpg

Last edited:

GKPrice

Banned
The first thing I consider when deciding on glass is whether I am going to have a spotting scope with me when I shoot. High magnification scopes are really handy for seeing your hits at the range and for checking for sex / antlers / etc at longer ranges while hunting - if you don't have a spotting scope handy. Yes you can put a lightweight 2-7x scope on your fieldcraft and be just as deadly at 500 yards as you would be with a 6-24x, but unless you have a spotting scope you might have a hard time figuring out whether the animal is legal at that distance.

If you don't plan on shooting that far or are limited by terrain, you won't be limited by a lower magnification scope.

I put a 3-18x50 on mine because I usually don't have a spotting scope with me and I like to shoot targets.

View attachment 59405

It's been my experience with the hunters AND hikers that I come in contact with that experienced hunters don't look at anything they're not at least considering shooting with a rifle scope, I know personally that I gave up that practice many years ago - "Most" hunters have binoculars or spotting scope, often both while in the field - If you can't tell what it is yet then get closer ......

ajsawyer

FNG
It's been my experience with the hunters AND hikers that I come in contact with that experienced hunters don't look at anything they're not at least considering shooting with a rifle scope, I know personally that I gave up that practice many years ago - "Most" hunters have binoculars or spotting scope, often both while in the field - If you can't tell what it is yet then get closer ......

I agree with GKPrice - just wanted to present a few reasons for more magnification. Last year in Texas on the last day of my week long trip I spotted a buck on the ranch I was hunting at 300 yards with only 15 or so minutes of shooting light left. I couldn't tell which buck it was with my 10x binoculars and didn't have a spotting scope. With this 3-18x50 i was able to identify the buck and take the shot with confidence. Situations like that are few and far between, but I wouldn't have taken the shot in that light with only 10x.