Rifle wont stay zeroed

IDHUNTER

I've heard Tony Fanelli at Blue Arms in Horsebend is an amazing gunsmith in your area.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I will strongly disagree with you on this. It is very easy to get several inches of horizontal variance at 100 yards by trigger and grip pressure. Shoulder would be more vertical variance, I have watched many shooters not have proper contact with the rifle which caused more than a few inches of vertical dispersion.

Like others said here buy the best equipment you can.

Problem solve from the start-

Guy and gun group consistently well.
Guy doesn't shoot gun throughout year.
Guy shoots gun before season.
Gun still groups but zero has shifted several inches

This is repeated year to year.

A person that is grouping well will not experience a significant zero shift off of a rest due to minute changes in grip tension. In your example of a person not having proper contact with the butt... they aren't shooting good groups.

OP,

Provided that you are using ammo from the exact same lot/reloads, i would start with the wood stock and bedding.

OP
I

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
IDHUNTER,..
I am 70 years old, now and I came from the ERA of, WOOD stocked Rifles ( I've Glass Bedded a ton of Rifles for $100-$150.00 in those Days ) and forend's "warping" and pushing against, Bbl's, was,.. VERY common ! ( POI changing,.. yearly )
The next, "issue" was "loose" Bases due to Oil or, Base screws being, too long in front,.. hitting bbl threads ( NOT bottoming, in Base, tightly ! )
Your scope may be fine ( take it off and shake it, tho ! ). You may get by with, a good Glass job and a KNOWLEDGEABLE "remounting" of scope !

Thank you very much for your input. I'll be sure to take it all into consideration.

IDHUNTER

I've heard Tony Fanelli at Blue Arms in Horsebend is an amazing gunsmith in your area.

IDHUNTER,.. You are Welcome, I hope it, "helps" ! You "MAY" want, to check this Guy out, too ! ^^^ Since, I do my own, (small amount) of Gunsmithing, I really don't know anyone, in Idaho, very well (Sorry ! ). You may want to find out what, Calhunter knows, of Tony Fanelli, tho ! Please let us all know, what you have "done" and "IF" that, fixes your, problem ! Good Luck !