budget scope and ring suggestion for tikka

i bought a tikka compact .308 this time last year and just put a nikon prostaff 2-7x32 I had laying around on it using the stock rings. looking to put something a little nicer on there this year but it doesn't get used a whole lot and was looking to spend $200-$300. midway has the vortex viper 4-12x40 on sale for $260. was thinking about this a set of dnz 1 piece rings. Can I do better for $300? i struggle with the nikon in low light but i don't want to go up to a huge objective either. longest shot i would probably ever take around here is 200-250 yards.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I have the vortex viper hst-4-16x44 with talley lightweight rings on my t3x and I am very happy with the setup.

howl

WKR
Cabelas has Vortex Viper on sale for $250. Opticsplanet has Bushnell Elite 2-7x for $120. Natchez Shooters Supply has Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x on clearance for $200. I'd bet money you would be pleased with that Weaver. Don't know about the other two, but they're likely. Opticsplanet does free returns.

DNZ mount is a good choice.

For the max distance you plan on shooting I think the 12 power may be overkill. Save weight and price and go with a 9 power.

I would recommend also looking at a Leupold VX2. It will be at the top end of your price range, but I prefer it to the Viper line in both weight and optic quality.

Russp17

WKR
For the max distance you plan on shooting I think the 12 power may be overkill. Save weight and price and go with a 9 power.

I would recommend also looking at a Leupold VX2. It will be at the top end of your price range, but I prefer it to the Viper line in both weight and optic quality.

Agreed. Buy a Leupold Vx2. Great scope for the money.

OP
ezmorningrebel
i went and handled a few of the 4-12 scopes and i'm definitely rethinking that now. too long and heavy. i think i'm going to stay in the 2-7x and 2-8x range like most of you guys are suggesting. the vx2 looks like a front runner now. would it make a noticeable difference in light gathering over my prostaff?

Gorp2007

WKR
I've got a VX2 in 2-7x33 and while I can't speak to the light gathering ability vs your Prostaff, I can say that last year I didn't have any issues picking up deer at 100-200 yards before legal shooting light (note: I did not take the shot, just providing a datapoint). The deer was much clearer through my scope than it was to my naked eye. I've got mine on a Tikka T3 in 30-06 and it's plenty for the ranges you're talking about.

Redside

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a t3x 25-06 last year and put the tikka base/rings on it at the suggestions of the gunsmith that put it together at the gun shop. I paired it with a vx1 3-9x40 and it has been great so far. I'm the same as you, under 300yd shots. Just took it out the other weekend to make sure I was on for deer season and it shot a 1" 3 shot group and I also shot a rock a couple times at 340 yards just for fun. Nothing fancy but gets the job done.

Any decent 40 to 44 mm objective will increase your light gathering ability. Stick with Nikon, Bushnell, vortex, Leopold etc and you should be good. The objective size has the most impact on light gathering ability and at that price range I don't think any fancy coatings have a difference between the major manufacturers and the glass will probably be about the same quality.

Compare some side by side at your local place of business but don't get wrapped up in the manufacturer