Build or Buy?

Is it a better value to build a "custom" rifle or buy one form one of the many custom builders out there? I am trying to figure out if I should spend the money on a build or get one already done. Time is not a concern but money is. Not sure if changes anything but I'm a lefty.

I found a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter in .270 Win and had my gunsmith buddy put a 24" Shilen match grade barrel chambered in .280 AI on it. Trigger magic was worked and the stock was pillar and glass bedded. Love that rifle. Wish I would have done it sooner!

I'd say it depends on a few things such as caliber you want, weight, stock choice/design, action type and the rest is mostly cosmetics. I would rather spend the $ to build exactly what I want or even buy a used custom if the price is right.
What are you thinking of building?

I 2nd the Christensen, there nice guns for the money! In my opinion there about as close to custom as it gets without building one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
If righty I'd of said, buy a Barrett and don't look back assuming you are talking a hunting rifle. I'd watch for a nice lefthanded Remington 700 BDL in a A or B series serial number to pop up. Then I'd have it bedded into a Mcmillan classic and hunt it. I did that with B series 30-06 and have had great success with it.

hodgeman

WKR
You'll never get your money out of a custom.

If budget is an issue, just buy factory and rock on. Factory rifles are ridiculously good these days.

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
As a lefty, I know the pain of trying to find rifles... It is great for people to suggest buying a factory rifle, but in many cases, it is next to impossible to find what you are after in a lefty. I have a beautiful, wood-stocked, Cooper in 300WM. I wanted a synthetic stock, but they don't make them in left handed models.

I wanted a light weight 7mmRM for PA hunting, but that was also very capable for 600+ yards on elk. I figure I saved $1,000-1,500 over the custom builders and I got exactly what I wanted. I ordered the barrel from Hart (#3 fluted, 23" finish length), stock from Manners (EH1, shortened length of pull, flush cups, GAP camo), and had Pierce provide the Ti action, Ti muzzle brake, Timney Calvin Elite trigger, and do the balance of the work. Right now, with a Vortex Razor HD LH on it, it weights 7.75lbs. All in, I have under $5,000 into this rifle (including scope) and it is to my spec, including a custom reamer that I own for loading the Berger 195EOL bullets nice and long. I never intend to sell mine, so resale wasn't a consideration.

My point being, you can get exactly what you want and I think you can do it cheaper than the $6-8K that some of the custom builders charge.

-David

WKR
As a lefty, I know the pain of trying to find rifles... It is great for people to suggest buying a factory rifle, but in many cases, it is next to impossible to find what you are after in a lefty. I have a beautiful, wood-stocked, Cooper in 300WM. I wanted a synthetic stock, but they don't make them in left handed models.

I wanted a light weight 7mmRM for PA hunting, but that was also very capable for 600+ yards on elk. I figure I saved $1,000-1,500 over the custom builders and I got exactly what I wanted. I ordered the barrel from Hart (#3 fluted, 23" finish length), stock from Manners (EH1, shortened length of pull, flush cups, GAP camo), and had Pierce provide the Ti action, Ti muzzle brake, Timney Calvin Elite trigger, and do the balance of the work. Right now, with a Vortex Razor HD LH on it, it weights 7.75lbs. All in, I have under $5,000 into this rifle (including scope) and it is to my spec, including a custom reamer that I own for loading the Berger 195EOL bullets nice and long. I never intend to sell mine, so resale wasn't a consideration.

My point being, you can get exactly what you want and I think you can do it cheaper than the $6-8K that some of the custom builders charge.

-David
That sounds like an amazing setup. Like you, I don't plan on reselling any of my builds. Just rebarrel as necessary and rock on.

OP
C
Thanks for all the replies. Lots to look and think about.

30338, I got your pm. I might have to take you up on the offer.

Beendare

WKR
Great question Camel

lefty here too....and I'm in for opinions.

We hear the stories of guys into customs for $8k and they don't get any more accuracy [or worse] than an off the shelf Remington. I dunno how true these stories are...or whether its a 1/2" MOA weapon in the hands of a 3" MOA shooter.

Then we hear of off the shelf rifles putting them in the same hole for a fraction of the $$ of a custom.

I wonder if there is a happy medium....say taking one of those LH Tikkas and having a good gunsmith work his magic?

dotman

WKR
You can get a custom for $2500ish but it will not have a ti action or carbon barrel. Price is purely driven by the components you decide on.

I think Justin Crossley has had a few tikkas rebarreled and customized but in the end if you go this route your just buying the rifle for the action.

howl

WKR
Best value is a factory rifle and enough ammo to shoot the barrel out at shooting classes. Have it rebuilt to your spec. thereafter.

NDGuy

WKR
Not sure if changes anything but I'm a lefty.

Your reasonably priced factory options are:
1. Tikka T3/T3X Lite & Hunter (wood stock)
2. Ruger American, Ruger American Predator, and the Hawkeye FTW
4. Browning Xbolt Medallion, Hunter, and Micro Midas
5. Rem SPS
6. Savage Model 111/116

I am really watching for the Barrett Fieldcraft, Christensen Arms and Bergara lines to come out with a lefty but until then your best bang for your buck is the Tikka.

A slight step up from that list would be a semi custom rifle from Montana Rifle Company (X2 model). You can buy one for around $1200. I haven't shot one but heard of good things if you can find a store that stocks them vs waiting months to have one built for you.

I have a Tikka 30-06 and love it, I also recently picked up a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM.

I'm a sucker for custom guns and own a few myself. I end up at the decision to go custom because what's ideal to me for a specific purpose is not factory available. That doesn't mean that it is necessary, practical, or in any way worth the money. There is always an option (even for us lefties) of a factory rifle that will do everything every bit as good as a custom. When it comes to the difference between calibers and accuracy, you are always going to pay many 100's of percent more for single digit percent performance improvement. With that being said, if you have the money and interest go for. This is hobby and entertainment we're talking about here. We don't need to justify it with practicality. For me personally I couldn't enjoy a rifle as much if I just went to a semi custom shop and spent a lot of money. I like doing the design and any work I'm capable of myself. To go and buy an already done rifle for a bunch of money and take pride in owning it is like paying a landscape company to take care of your grass then bragging about how great your grass looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
For a little more info, I have a Reminton in 7 mag that I would use as my base. I was thinking of upgrading the barrel, stock and trigger. I'm not a huge gun guy and bow hunt 98% of the time. However, I would like one gun that is worth shooting. So many choices!!

I am a lefty. I wanted custom but decided to simply rebarrel a Tikka because my gunsmith said he can get them to shoot with ANY custom rifle. I just shot the rifle for the first time in the last week. .3 group with factory ammunition. My gunny was right! He said I will get .25 out of with reloads. A custom gun will not get any better. I have $1,100 in the gun.

11c1ae23e4c8c19c5f10e4347f164753.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cooperjd

WKR
i have a remington 700 stainless in 7RM.

I took off the factory plastic stock and got a B&C alaskan full lenght aluminum block stock. i "pillar" bedded it with ernie the gunsmiths spacers. i did the bedding/free floating work myself. i replaced the factory trigger with a timney myself. i bedded the 15moa scope base myself. i lapped the rings myself. with handloading i can get well under moa, 3-shot groups. my best group was 0.183". it opens up a bit as i keep shooting and heat the barrel. but it is a hunting rifle and very accurate for me.

if you like to tinker, you can get a semi-custom rifle and do some work yourself and save a ton of cash and have some fun in the process, and end up with a rifle that shoots great.