Keeping Rain and Snow off optics - And still being able to shoot Quick

BigWoods

WKR
I'm wondering what tips and tricks are out there for how to keep optics from getting obstructed by rain and snow while out hunting, yet still being able to make a quick shot when needed. My Kimber is wearing a Leopold 2.5-8 and my Ruger American Ranch has a Vortex Venom mini red dot.

For some context, most of the deer hunting around here involves tracking deer through the large timber plots. The best days to do so are when the snow is coming down so I can know which tracks are fresh. If I were hunting from a stand or even stalking big game, the shots wouldn't need to be as fast, but here I've got maybe a second or two to get on target if a deer gets up.

Thanks for the help!

I have ordered a neoprene scope cover based on getting my scope fouled with snow last year. Not sure if it would be fast enough but it pulls right off.

muddydogs

WKR
I like the scope slicker cover, it's about as quick as anything to remove from the scope and its small enough to fit in any pocket very easily. I cut the storage case off mine as it's not needed and don't like it flopping around. I carry the scope cover in my pocket and use it when needed.
Amazon.com : Alpine Innovations ScopeSlicker weatherproof rifle scope cover : Sports & Outdoors

The rifle slicker also packs well and I carry this to cover my rifle or muzzy if the weather gets real nasty as well as covering my rifle when on the ATV.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
For the Leupold at least, Get the Alumina Flip up covers. They flip up super fast, can cover objective as well as ocular, and don't leak. Get butler creeks for the other.

Butler creek flip ups. It's just second nature to touch them open when shouldering. Doesn't take anymore time than normal. I'll never run a scope without them.
Just because some guy has been doing something for 35 years doesn't necessarily mean it's the intelligent thing to do.

I never thought I would, but I really like those neoprene scope covers. You can pop them off in one movement unlike flipping two lens covers up. I also think the neoprene padding could save your scope from some impacts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtmuley

WKR
Enjoy your Butler Creeks Sandman. Had a set. Threw em in the garbage. Total waste of money. See, I am intelligent. mtmuley

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I bought Vortex defender caps for all my scopes. Love them

For a backback I will probably put a neoprene cover over the whole thing anyways though

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For what you describe, I'd use open sights. Nothing quicker than that for target acquisition. For everything else, I've used the flip up covers.

muddydogs

WKR
Ive always used butler creek flip ups, I don't understand why some guys hate them?

Why? Well they make some noise when flipped up, for those of us that only cover our scope when its needed the flip caps are in the way, there's two buttons to push instead of just slipping off a cover and if you leave the caps open they get caught on everything.

I don't know anyone that uses them

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
for those of us that only cover our scope when its needed the flip caps are in the way, there's two buttons to push instead of just slipping off a cover and if you leave the caps open they get caught on everything.

Why would you need to cover your scope when you already have the caps? Flipping them up is as easy as raising the rifle to your shoulder. I flip them up in the same motion. Which is why I would also never leave them up. And if you have time to ready a shot, they can be opened silently. If I used a neoprene cover, I'd need a new one each time I went out because the old one would most likely still be laying on the ground where I left it. The last time I used a bow sling, I had to go back and try to find it after figuring out that I was missing something after shooting a bull. That was 8 years ago.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've tried all the options through the decades...it rains a lot around here and then come November your in the brush with snow and or rain. Grew up using a piece of rubber tubing, then the neoprene cover, the on to butler creek and currently using the leupold alumina flip ups. Butler creek caps always leaked for me, so their use was short. The neoprene did ok and protected the entire scope. The alumina covers have worked best but they occasionally leak as well. On wet days I'm always checking to make sure they didn't accidentally open and that things are still clear. Matter of preference and if things are really wet you and the optics will be wet as well😀