Keeping Rain and Snow off optics - And still being able to shoot Quick

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
if it's a leupold spend the money on the alumina covers... super well worth it, they thread in, fit perfectly, can be indexed in any direction easily, don't add to the outer bell diameter and don't interfere with clearance anywhere.

If looking for speed and don't like the flip ups. get the bikini scope covers and tie a string around one of the bands and around the scope tube. flies off easily and doesn't get lost...

howl

WKR
What very little I do of that is done with a peep sighted lever action. Special arctic military forces seem to use things like M1917 Enfields or Tikka CTRs with peep sights.

muddydogs

WKR
Why would you need to cover your scope when you already have the caps?

Not sure what your talking about here? I don't run the crappy caps, I don't usually have anything over my scope but carry the scope cover in case I get some weather or I end up crawling around the thick stuff when its snow covered. I guess what I;m saying is if I had the caps on my scope they would be open 90 percent of the time and in the way.

As for loosing the cover during a shot I guess that's a personal issue. I have no problem taking a shot with the scope cover in my hand but then I will pick up my brass most of the time after a shot as well.

Never had mine freeze or leak. I've been using them forever. All
my scopes have them. I've used them all over the west and AK from temps well below freezing, blizzards and torrential down pours. They are so easy to open when shouldering I don't even think about it. They add ZERO time to shoulder a weapon. They do have a slight "pop" to them when they come open but I have never missed an opportunity or had animals alerted to my presence due to this. Use them or don't, I couldn't care less. But to say they're junk and I threw them away without explaining your reasoning or issue with them is laughable and comes across as unintelligent.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Lots of good suggestions here!

I've use the butler creek caps before and had several break on me in the open position so I stayed away from them since. At the advice of many here, I'll have to look at the Alumina covers more of the VX3i.

I used one of the rubber 'bikini' covers last year but it didn't always seal so water got by it and would fog the scope.

The leupold came with the neoprene cover, which seems like a good concept. I may have to look more into the Scope Shields which have a little pull tab built in as well as a retaining loop.

mtmuley

WKR
Sandman, what is laughable is your concern that I haven't used any kind of scope cover in 35 years. mtmuley

Stid2677

WKR
I pretreat my lens with anti fog before I leave home and use a scopeshield neoprene cover, I thread the loop over the stock and then attach the sling. Quick tug and it comes off and hangs on the rifle, not to get left behind...

27Y0MYZh.jpg

I pretreat my lens with anti fog before I leave home and use a scopeshield neoprene cover, I thread the loop over the stock and then attach the sling. Quick tug and it comes off and hangs on the rifle, not to get left behind...

27Y0MYZh.jpg
Hey Steve, a couple questions for you. Do you use a Kifaru gun bearer (I kind of remember you using one, but I could be wrong), and if so, does your rifle tend to want to hang upside down, ie., scope down? If this is the case, do you have any problem with water accumulating/collecting inside the neoprene cover?

Stid2677

WKR
Hey Steve, a couple questions for you. Do you use a Kifaru gun bearer (I kind of remember you using one, but I could be wrong), and if so, does your rifle tend to want to hang upside down, ie., scope down? If this is the case, do you have any problem with water accumulating/collecting inside the neoprene cover?

I use the gun bearer on my Kiaru packs,, on my SG I use the tops part of the gunbearer, but the lower portion is different on the SG. They were out when I bought my pack so I just made the lower part. I carry it several ways. Upside down as seen, most times rightside up when the bears are around. I swing it back and strap to the pack at times too. I have never had a water issue, but do see were it might catch water in a heavy rain. I tried all types of caps,, rafting, non stop rain, long boat rides, all have proven too much for my caps. Under certain conditions, it is just plain tough, a warm face and breath, will fog up about any scope.

wjlpelch.jpg

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
Stid, thank you for the field report on the Scopeshield. I'm thinking that's probably my best option for the Scoped Kimber.

Also, I figured out a rather simple solution to keeping the mini red dot (Vortex Venom) clear on the Ruger American Ranch. I punched a hole through the rubberized cover with a leather punch, tied a string around the gun then put a knot under the cover through the hole to retain it when the sight is in use. If it's a nice day out and I don't need the cover, the whole things slides off from the barreled end.
View attachment 59737
View attachment 59738

A quick tug on the string or brushing my thumb across the back of the cover removes it effectively.

zhunter

FNG
I have had good luck with the butler creek flip ups. I relly like them just make sure they fit tight

Defender flip on the vortex scopes
Leopold screw in caps on Leopold
Night force caps on night force
And when traveling, in ranger, i cover the whole gun with a quick release type cover to keep dust off it.

In the flip covers is my dope chart

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I would add to my comment...
On any scope flip caps, I install a piece of double sided tape to ensure it never comes off

The defender seems best fit, but the eye piece cover is always a loose fit than I care for.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I have always used butler creek and have liked them. On my last scope I got vortex defenders and I do not like them. They want t slide off the scope rather than popping open when trying to open them with one hand. I fixed this in the middle of a hunt this year with a zip tie, however, who wants a zip tie on their rifle.