Which 300 win mag factory ammo for elk?

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I have a tikka t3 in a 300 win mag and after shooting several factory loads in it I have narrowed it down between Hornady precision hunter 200g and Barnes vor-tx 180g. Both rounds group great out of rifle but which one would be a better choice for elk?

carter33

WKR
I have used the Barnes vor-tx 180 gr on various large game and can attest to its great penetration and large wound channel it generates. I have since sold my .300 win mag (which was also a tikka t3 lite). That being said I am sure the hornady 200g is great as well, most new hunting bullets are.

I would consider more which grain you prefer, the larger 200 or lighter 180. A little more velocity with the 180 should provide slightly less drop at moderate distances 200-400 area but the 200 will likely have more knockdown power closer up if say you were in grizzly country.

OP
B

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I am zeroed in at 200 yds and regularly shoot out to 500 yds. So I'd say I would be shooting somewhere between 100 and 500 yards max. Not going to be in grizzly country, unit 52 Colorado.

I'm happy with the 200 grain eld-x ammo and probably won't change anytime soon. I don't have experience with them on elk but have killed a pig, deer and a bear with them and have been impressed by them. Shots have ranged from 30 to about 125 yards. Pass throughs on both the buck and pig. The pig was moving broadside and I took out the heart he didn't go anywhere except fall off into a creek bed he was running towards. The buck was the furthest and quartering hard to me, the shot was right where his neck met his brisket and exited behind the offside shoulder. Jellied his lungs and he dropped right there. The bear was actually less than 5 minutes after I shot the buck and he came out of the brush about 2 feet away from my buck sniffing around. That was a steep downhill shot at 30 yards and entered just in front of his ear, ran down his neck and lodged in his shoulder. I weighed the bullet I recovered and it came in at almost 68 grains so it shed more than half of its weight. I can't argue the results of 3 shots and 3 dead animals that never took hardly a step.

Over the past few years I’ve become a big fan of the Barnes vor-tx ammo. It groups very well and I’ll echo what carter said regarding penetration and wound channels. I’ve used it in my .300wsm, 7mm-08, and .270 win., all with excellent results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaseyU

WKR
You obviously did your homework on shooting different rounds and figured out which one your gun likes. That said. Factory ammo, my gun loved the 200 grain eldx. I shot an elk at 340 and a Muley dropped at 390. No track job on either. Bullet was placed where it needed to be and very happy with them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk