270wsm and 300wsm

What would be a comfortable range for elk with these two calibers?

I ask because I am looking at a few elk hunts in the next few years. I would like my range to be 600 yds. I am also wanting to go fairly light weight as I will be backpacking quite a bit.

Any opinions on other calibers welcome.

hodgeman

WKR
I've been a long time user of the .300WSM and I like it a lot.

I've taken a pile of caribou and moose with it to 400ish yards without issue and in a friend's LR chassis gun we shot steel at 800 with ease.

My rifle weighs in at 7.5 pounds I'd pop an elk with it without hesitation.

GKPrice

Banned
I've been around and personally shot 270 WSM's a bunch, I was hung up on 140 & 150 class bullets then tried 130 Etips and never looked back, same for the 3 "boys" - wouldn't hesitate to shoot 600 yards if all else was right
the 300 WSM would be AT LEAST that good as well

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider
Why short mag? 300 WM can take heavier bullets because the case is longer. Plus, ammo is everywhere. Lots of long range guys use the 300WM. I'd say there are more long range shooters using the 300WM than the 270 and 300WSM combined.

jjjjeremy

Lil-Rokslider

My Winchester 70 EW comes in at 8.5 lbs with a scope, and I wouldn't want anything lighter. Short mag shaves a few oz, but I would just as rather go on a long training hike and shave that weight off my body. A Kimber saves about half a pound off the 70, and other makes shave even more with non-mauser actions.

I think your decision should be based on energy at 600 yards, then work backwards to find what cartridges can give you that performance, and which of those are used by long range guys. I think the 270wsm will fall off the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tikka t3 in a 300 wsm is bad medicine........perfect for what you want. I load for my buddy's 300 wsm and I wouldn't think twice at shooting at an elk at 600 yards or whatever your ability dictates.

Randy

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
Both of those are the only WSM's worth owning. If your limit is 600 yards, both will do the trick with a good bullet and good shot placement.

I'm partial to claw exctractors and 3 position safeties if looking at weight I would be looking up kimbers, Montana Rifles and Winchester also make fine rifles. I've got speecimens from all of them (mostly kimbers and winny featherweights) you should look at them and make the choice based on your desired end weight with scope/ mouting system.

Last edited:

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Both of those are the only WSM's worth owning.

What, no love for the 325wsm? This is by far my favorite wsm caliber and an excellent round here in Alaska. I take my 270wsm for sheep and black tails and typically my 325wsm for everything else. I can't imagine the 325wsm is that popular of a round in the lower 48 though.

Between the 270wsm and the 300wsm for strictly elk I'd say go 300 all day. For mostly deer with an occasional elk thrown in I'd say 270.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
For me I determine the cartridges ability by looking at the maximum yardage that the round has over 1500 ft*lbs of energy then cross check and determine that the corresponding velocity is above the manufactures rated velocity for reliable expansion. For my 7mm rem mag with custom handloads this is 550 yards. My dads 300 WSM is just slightly further, and i would imagine that the 270wsm would be just slightly shorter than the 7mm rem mag on average.