Bought Used Rifle, Action/Barrel Stuck in Stock

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
So I bought a used Cooper Jackson Hunter in 7mm-08 on gunbroker and picked it up from my FFL today. Put a new Z3 3-9x36 with some 1 piece Talley ultralight rings (7# 6.9oz total) and then went to cleaning. All was well until I couldn't get the barrel/action out of the stock.

I'm going to shoot it tomorrow at the range and if it shoots, I will leave it alone of course.....just wondering if anyone else has any feedback on why it is stuck...my only thought is some kind of bedding job where it was either intentional or a mistake. I have paid to have a bedding job done before but had no problem removing afterwards, so I am a little concerned.

Thanks for any feedback.

7mm08.jpg

wapitibob

WKR
A few hammer hits to the btm action screws that were turned out a cpl turns should give you an idea of just how stuck it is.

whiskeysierra762

Lil-Rokslider
Im assuming you were able to get the bottom screws out?
If so try putting it in a chest freezer over night. I've had to do that on a few rifles after glass bedding them to get them to come out of the stock.

OP
Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Took it to the range and it shot lights out so I'm not going to worry about it for now.

Will try the freezer after the season and see if that works. My only concern at this point is being able to keep it clean/from rusting in the areas I cannot get to

A common benchrest technique is to "glue" the action into the stock using epoxy. With a used, high end gun off gunbroker it's difficult to rule that possibility out. As long as it's shooting the way you like I wouldn't worry about it for a few thousand rounds when you're due for a rebarrel.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk