Sako Carbonlight/Barrett Fieldcraft

kipper09

WKR
Anybody here had any experiences with these two rifles. Been eyeballing them both and the Barrett obviously has good t some attention. The sako not so much. Just wanted to see if anybody had some input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I know is different is the trigger. On the Barrett you have the Timney which is curved and wide. The Sako trigger is more straight than curved compared to the Timney, and is narrow as well. Completely different feel. I just sold a Sako Finnlight to a friend because of it.....Sakos shoot very well, are balanced, excellent fit and finish, and the actions feel amazing, but I personally do not care for the triggers whereas I highly prefer the feel of the Timney. Something to consider....

Last edited:
The sako carbonlight is one hell of a rifle. If they'd get with the times and twist and throats properly they'd be a class of their own considering factory rifles.

The stock alone on the carbonlight is worth a pretty penny. There is a huge difference between hand laying up fiberglass and "dry" carbon.

For my money I truly think the sako is a better factory fodder gun ... but the barret is better if you roll your own with greater coal available and twists rates for high Bc bullets

hodgeman

WKR
The Sako is a fair bit more spendy than the Barrett, and apparently tougher to source.

I've got a Barrett...pretty tough to beat. A 5 pound rifle that shoots 1/2" groups... what's not to like there?

1/2" 10 shot groups?? Color me impressed.

Sako carbonlight was running 1700 this summer. Same ball park range. Love that short bolt lift and the vertical grip is perfect. High comb puts a 30mm scope in a sweet spot. Something about that gun just feels tits up scoped. Seems like a lot of whisperlight gun stocks get too top heavy once you mount rugged glass on them. Not with the sako.

The that said a Tikka t3 super light cut to 20" and a wildcat composites stock should run about 5lb 1oz... should be 1000$ or so.

hodgeman

WKR
1/2" 10 shot groups?? Color me impressed.

Sako carbonlight was running 1700 this summer. .

I never said a 10 shot group...1/2" for 3. A 10 shot group at 1/2" would be truly spectacular...

Carbonlights are $2800 on Bud's and Europtic currently...that's a $1300 difference from a Barrett, within spitting distance of twice as much. Hard the think a Sako would be twice as nice.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Having gotten to shoot both a sako carbon lite and a Barrett prior to making a purchase for my tastes I preferred the Barrett buy a lot.....and I like and own a few Tikkas as well but when it came time to expand the UL rifle collection the Barrett just made more sense for me.

Like NDBOWHUNTER said a Tikka T3 SL in a quality lightweight aftermarket stock is worth considering as well. But still won’t have the mag box room which is appealing for me. If you just shoot factory ammo def not a concern though.

stevevan

WKR
I had a carbonlight. Sold it. It was very well made of a good quality. The issue I had was the length of pull of the stock. Way over 14+ inches which was excessive for me. I brought it to a gunsmith to see if he could cut that back to normal 13.5" and reinstall a decelerator pad. He did not want to do it given the construction of the stock. He also talked to a Sako/Beretta rep. Hence, I sold the rifle.

FURMAN

WKR
I would say the cartridge you choose will have an effect on which I would choose. Like Luke said the magazine length would be a huge consideration. The Sakos/Tikkas are too short for magnums. Ironically they may be better for short action cartridges as you can just change the magazine to a longer one.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Appreciate all the input. I been eyeballing them both. Getting really close to buying one. Seems like the barrett at this point is probably just as good of gun and the price is substantially less. Looked at the tikka as well but think I wanna stick with sako or Barrett. Any other input I’d love to hear

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Ordered up the fieldcraft in 6.5. Have a 2.5-8x36 leupold and Talley’s here waiting on it. Pretty excited to try it out. Thanks for all the input. Gotta find a good whitetail round now. Looking at the 129 grain interlock spire point. Anybody have any experience??

hodgeman

WKR
Ordered up the fieldcraft in 6.5. Have a 2.5-8x36 leupold and Talley’s here waiting on it. Pretty excited to try it out. Thanks for all the input. Gotta find a good whitetail round now. Looking at the 129 grain interlock spire point. Anybody have any experience??

That is my exact setup. In my rifle, the 143 ELDX is the most accurate round I've tried. Of course- everything I've tried is sub MOA but the 143ELDX prints 3 shot bug holes.

I have managed to tag a small caribou with it- at 339 yards with it. Worked exactly as advertised.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Have read some outstanding reviews on the 143 eldx. Wasn’t sure on the performance on smaller deer sized game. I appreciate the input. I will order a test run of those as well.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Have seen 9 deer killed with a 143 out of a 6.5 Creedmoor. Works so well I don’t see a reason to change. Ranges were from 120 to 495 yards.

bozeman

WKR
My next is a 22-250, the Barret is at 21".......blows my mind..........looks like the Fierce is an option in these ranges $ wise........if the Barrett was 24 or 26", I'd already have one........best of luck!