Tikka build

Jon Boy

WKR
I'm going to need to rebarrel my tikka superlite 7mm rem this winter. I'm thinking of making it into a 7mm wsm and getting a 26" bench mark in an 8.5 twist. Only reason for going to the wsm is so I can fit 195 bergers in my tikka magazine. Anybody ever do this? I know performance wise I'm not gaining really anything over the standard 7mm rem. From the research I've done looks like guys are regularly pushing the 195s out of the wsm above 2800 fps.

Any of you guys with experience with something similar have any thoughts?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Just for geewiz. My buddy and I have custom built 7LRM's. He built his around the 195 Berger. I did not. He shot them for a while and had decent results. I'm shooting the 180 ELDM at 3060fps with exceptional accuracy.

Running the numbers between our rifles, my rifle with the 180 ELDM @ 3,066 fps produced more down range energy and less drop than his rifle running the 195 @ 2,950 fps. He has since switched to the 180 ELDM and is seeing more consistent accuracy.

That being said I don't think your going to see any appreciable gains shooting the 195. I would stick with the new Berger 175 elite hunter, Berger 180 Hybrid or 180 ELDM.

Just my opinion from my experiences with my 7mm wildcat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
Just for geewiz. My buddy and I have custom built 7LRM's. He built his around the 195 Berger. I did not. He shot them for a while and had decent results. I'm shooting the 180 ELDM at 3060fps with exceptional accuracy.

Running the numbers between our rifles, my rifle with the 180 ELDM @ 3,066 fps produced more down range energy and less drop than his rifle running the 195 @ 2,950 fps. He has since switched to the 180 ELDM and is seeing more consistent accuracy.

That being said I don't think your going to see any appreciable gains shooting the 195. I would stick with the new Berger 175 elite hunter, Berger 180 Hybrid or 180 ELDM.

Just my opinion from my experiences with my 7mm wildcat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great advice. With a properly throated wsm you should get over 3000fps with 180s.

OP
Jon Boy

Jon Boy

WKR
Thanks Dan! The 195 is where I wanted to start but the 180s are also on my radar, and they will not fit in a tikka mag in a standard 7mm seated at the right depth either so I would still like to have room for them if I go that route

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In regards to putting together a long action bolt stop/mag tikka with a WSM cartridge yes I'm currently doing that, just in 300wsm. Don't have the rifle yet though to comment too much. I know I will likely need to open up the feed lips on the mag some (the larger diameter of the WSM case doesn't protrude as high up with the stock magazine) so the bolt hits enough of the case to effectively push feed it (and also get the centerline of the case riding higer so it runs up the feed ramp) but I'm waiting till I have the rifle in hand and will use a dummy round to get that dialed in sanding a little off at a time.

OP
Jon Boy

Jon Boy

WKR
In regards to putting together a long action bolt stop/mag tikka with a WSM cartridge yes I'm currently doing that, just in 300wsm. Don't have the rifle yet though to comment too much. I know I will likely need to open up the feed lips on the mag some (the larger diameter of the WSM case doesn't protrude as high up with the stock magazine) so the bolt hits enough of the case to effectively push feed it (and also get the centerline of the case riding higer so it runs up the feed ramp) but I'm waiting till I have the rifle in hand and will use a dummy round to get that dialed in sanding a little off at a time.
Let me know how that goes!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

WSM brass doesn't fit in the regular long action mags at all without modification. You will have to take the magazine apart and use a Dremel tool to grind out some material on the insides. It's not very difficult but just a heads up.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
WSM brass doesn't fit in the regular long action mags at all without modification. You will have to take the magazine apart and use a Dremel tool to grind out some material on the insides. It's not very difficult but just a heads up.

I recall you saying that but the long action T3X mag that came with my rifle I didn't find that to be the case (it was a 7mag donor), I can put a 300WSM case into it (perhaps a tad more resistance that a 7mag case but I wasn't fighting it). It just sits a bit low as the feed lips aren't opened as much as on a factory WSM magazine (my buddy has one). I did see that my 7-08 T3 mag had a ridge of material that would prevent a fat WSM case from entering it though, is that what you experience previously or was the entire wall of the mag too tight before?

Following.. a 300 wsm or 7 SAUM out of a tikka LA mag has been on my radar for a while.

Clarktar

WKR
If looking to replace factory Tikka bottom metal to fit long pills, check out redsnake. I have no experience with it yet but am ordering soon for a Tikka 30-06 build.

The redsnake dbm looks promising!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I recall you saying that but the long action T3X mag that came with my rifle I didn't find that to be the case (it was a 7mag donor), I can put a 300WSM case into it (perhaps a tad more resistance that a 7mag case but I wasn't fighting it). It just sits a bit low as the feed lips aren't opened as much as on a factory WSM magazine (my buddy has one). I did see that my 7-08 T3 mag had a ridge of material that would prevent a fat WSM case from entering it though, is that what you experience previously or was the entire wall of the mag too tight before?

On the regular Tikka T3 magazines I found the entire inner wall of the magazine was too tight. I could push the WSM brass into it but there was too much resistance for it to feed right. If the T3x magazines have more clearance that's good news.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can't 100% say it won't need a little polishing to loosen it up to ensure proper feeding until I get to play with it but it definitely fits in there without fighting it. But feeding could be another story. Off the bat though I can see the centerline of the case is too low and thus the bullet won't clear the end of the mag without opening up the feed lips to let the case sit higher.

weaver

WKR
I'm am also in the process of rebarreling my T3.
I had the same idea to go with a WSM cartridge to be able to run a longer coal.

Just have to solve the magazine issue and think I might have found the answer from mt tactical.
They are taking pre orders on a new billet magazine and it lists the long action mag as compatible with WSM cartridges.
Tikka Billet Magazines

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

RedSnake

FNG
If looking to replace factory Tikka bottom metal to fit long pills, check out redsnake. I have no experience with it yet but am ordering soon for a Tikka 30-06 build.

The redsnake dbm looks promising!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks Clarktar. Yes. The feedback from a handful of gunsmiths/rifle builders has been very positive thus far. Our long action AICS Bottom Metal will fit factory stock (with minor modification) and allow an OAL of 3.500

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Clarktar. Yes. The feedback from a handful of gunsmiths/rifle builders has been very positive thus far. Our long action AICS Bottom Metal will fit factory stock (with minor modification) and allow an OAL of 3.500

I just ordered one to try out. I'll post up my thoughts when it shows up.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm am also in the process of rebarreling my T3.
I had the same idea to go with a WSM cartridge to be able to run a longer coal.

Just have to solve the magazine issue and think I might have found the answer from mt tactical.
They are taking pre orders on a new billet magazine and it lists the long action mag as compatible with WSM cartridges.
Tikka Billet Magazines

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I preordered a 3 (red) & 5 (black) round after seeing this and have been watching their progress. Aside from reportedly functioning with the WSM in a long action (the builder said he's got a 270wsm and thus was especially motivated to make a WSM compatible long action mag) I gotta admit they are starting to look pretty sweet even though I don't really bling out my guns. Looks like they're coming along nicely, the delivery of the run of springs will be what dictates final delivery (supposed to be mid Dec at this point).

23561661_2118754468346258_2576763441460556192_n.jpg

RedSnake

FNG
I preordered a 3 (red) & 5 (black) round after seeing this and have been watching their progress. Aside from reportedly functioning with the WSM in a long action (the builder said he's got a 270wsm and thus was especially motivated to make a WSM compatible long action mag) I gotta admit they are starting to look pretty sweet even though I don't really bling out my guns. Looks like they're coming along nicely, the delivery of the run of springs will be what dictates final delivery (supposed to be mid Dec at this point).

23561661_2118754468346258_2576763441460556192_n.jpg

Looks promising. Mountain Tactical puts out quality products — have several of their 20 moa rails.

One other solution to running WSM cases is to use our Tikka/TRG Bottom Metal that mates the trg 42 Magazine with the Tikka action. Short action calibers will require swapping out the bolt stop. Tikka T3/T3x Aftermarket Bottom Metal-TRG Magazine (LA) Compatible DBM – RedSnake Tactical

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah I started with a long action donor rifle so the bolt stop was good to go off the bat. Since I don't need an extended COAL from what the factory long action can provide I wasn't motivated to do any bottom metal changes so I was going to work over a factory mag but these billet ones look to be just the ticket for a WSM setup. I know some guys complain about the composite factory bottom metal but I've never had an issue with it.

That said various bottom metal options coming out for extended long action COAL is great for the guys running long action calibers that would benefit from the change. Looks like MT has one for AICS to fit 3.6" but needs a little action shaving to do so, bit more involved. But nice to have options of COAL, mag type, etc. on the market. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lannyw