Tikka build

Anybody considered a .284 Win or 6.5x284 on a Tikka as opposed to trying to shoehorn in a WSM? It's a "semi short" case, longer and fatter than a .308, but shorter than a typical LA. I test fit some loads in a LA Tikka mag a couple years ago, and it seemed to fit and function perfectly while giving plenty of room to seat a bullet out. Looked like a better fit in a Tikka length mag than the LA 700 they are usually built on.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Some thought on my end, I have a stock one in 7-08 so yeah its crossed my mind. But I have a 280AI (on a tikka M695) so realistically for me hard to be motivated to do so since the 280AI has more punch and the M695 mag has a bit more room. On the other hand the 7-08 is easy on brass, somewhat common, etc. and slated for my kids to hunt. So for me its only crossed my mind. But a factory LA mag with a bolt stop change sure makes that appealing for someone starting from scratch.

I went 300WSM on the latest project as it offers me a bit more over my 280AI and the Tikka action length seems to suit that catridge with heavies quite well once the magazine issue is addressed (which it seems it should be shortly).

A .284 would be cool, I thought it would be a good fit in a tikka as well. Seems like there isn't a great brass solution, people complaining about donuts on the Norma and formed Lapua brass.

A .284 would be cool, I thought it would be a good fit in a tikka as well. Seems like there isn't a great brass solution, people complaining about donuts on the Norma and formed Lapua brass.

Regular .284 Win brass from Norma is currently available, so no forming needed.

.284 Winchester Brass Cases, 100 Count | Bullets.com

It's a good point though. Brass was an issue when I owned a Remington based .284. If I did another, I'd stockpile enough of that Norma stuff for the life of the barrel.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I preordered a 3 (red) & 5 (black) round after seeing this and have been watching their progress. Aside from reportedly functioning with the WSM in a long action (the builder said he's got a 270wsm and thus was especially motivated to make a WSM compatible long action mag) I gotta admit they are starting to look pretty sweet even though I don't really bling out my guns. Looks like they're coming along nicely, the delivery of the run of springs will be what dictates final delivery (supposed to be mid Dec at this point).

They had to tweak the retention plate from plastic to aluminum (bonus) but are shipping waves now, got me 3rd and if fits a WSM just fine. If I slide really slow a long COAL bullet will hang up in my chamber (presumably on the shoulder transition) but with a minor amount of speed or pressure it chambers in just fine and doesn't mar up the tip. I'm pleased with them vs reworking a LA factory mag. :)

VQAbbcxl.jpg