Two Gun Combination for Multi Species Out to 600yards

Kmarkwardt

Lil-Rokslider
So I’d like to have rifles for antelope, whitetail,
mule deer, black bear, elk and moose.

I figure I can do a great caliber for antelope, whitetail and mule deer, then another for black bear, elk and moose.

I’m sure you could go on both extremes and go a different caliber for all of them or a single caliber for all of them. I’d imagine 2 should do it.

My next quandary is that here in N Idaho, shots are often either 300-600 yards or 20-30 yards. So I’d like to keep in consideration that these rifles should be able to carry energy a long ways, but should also be able to expand at short distances. Perhaps this is more in bullet selection, but I’ve been told that something like a 6.5 Creedmor would be too hot for short range. I don’t know if this is accurate or not.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
I may be masochistic but I chose one rifle to rule them all in a .300WM. Granted, I still have other rifles but I finally figured that if I chose one rifle that can do it all and became comfortable shooting that rifle then that's all I needed. Still, I have a .243WSSM that I might take for antelope or Whitetail and mulies.

hodgeman

WKR
Not sure you need two rifles...as Colonel pointed out- a .300 handles all of that nicely, near and far.

I've hunted everything with a .300WSM and there's nothing on that list it wouldn't handle. As boring as the "one gun hunter" sounds, there's a certain amount of sense in it.

JWP58

WKR
I'd feel pretty comfortable using my 308 for that. I personally won't shoot past 400yds though.

Last edited:

AXEL

WKR
I was born, raised and started hunting-shooting just north of the Idaho Panhandle, in the West Kootenays of BC. So, after shooting since 1958, hunting since 1964 and collecting 150+ guns, most big game rifles since then, I have a few opinions. ;)

For the serious guy who does use some factory ammo at least for whatever reasons, I would choose and have since Jan. 1968, a pair of CRF rifles in .270Win. and .338WM. Especially, with good handloads, nothing beats this combo and I used mostly P-64-70s in good synthetics from 1985 and Leupy VX or Vari-X scopes. Nosler Pts, 150s and 250s and still feel this is ideal.

I do still have a lot of rifles and now tend to use a custom Dakota 76-.338 and a KMA .280AI, but, the old .270/338 combo just works and good ammo is everywhere.

If we’re talking about scoped bolt actions, then I’d agree that any of the 6.5, 270, or 7’s would do for the small rifle and the 338 is king for the big stuff. But if I could really only own 2 rifles, one would have to be an open sighted lever action. In the thick woods where shots are fast and short, a scoped bolt action is not the best tool.

AXEL

WKR
I have had about all of the lever guns available including a Sako Finnwolf, Winny 71, Browning 86SRC, Savage 99s, BLRs, Mod. 94s, both pre and post 1964, Marlin 1895s, 1894s and Winny 88. Have shot and carried a Winny 95 and I have never been as fast and accurate in the BC "jungle" with any of these as I am with a short, 3=pos. safety Brno 21 or Brno ZG-47.

So, I deem this a personal thing and sold all my levers except a Marlin 336-44M, which I have owned for 50 years and keep for my Taco 4x4 in case of "varmints" if you get my drift.....

I like ghost and post sights over opens, but, have and use both.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
So I’d like to have rifles for antelope, whitetail,
mule deer, black bear, elk and moose.

I figure I can do a great caliber for antelope, whitetail and mule deer, then another for black bear, elk and moose.

I’m sure you could go on both extremes and go a different caliber for all of them or a single caliber for all of them. I’d imagine 2 should do it.

My next quandary is that here in N Idaho, shots are often either 300-600 yards or 20-30 yards. So I’d like to keep in consideration that these rifles should be able to carry energy a long ways, but should also be able to expand at short distances. Perhaps this is more in bullet selection, but I’ve been told that something like a 6.5 Creedmor would be too hot for short range. I don’t know if this is accurate or not.

Thoughts?

For the uses and ranges you mentioned I would personally choose a 300wm or 300 Ultra using 215 Bergers and something like a Swaro X5 in 3-18 for optics.

Then go with a 6.5x284, 6.5-06AI, or 6.5-280AI for a dedicated deer/antelope rifle. The 140 Berger Hunting VLD has been my go to for the 6.5s and it has performed well for me.

howl

WKR
Use a heavy for caliber bullet. Don't take shots quartering toward into the point of the shoulder unless you are using a hard bullet that needs to hit bone to ensure it opens. 270 WSM 150gr non-premium bullet is an example. Don't try to break a heavy bone with it at short range and you're good for everything.

Beastmode

WKR
I run a 6.5 creedmore for deer and short range elk and a 300 WM for longer range big critters. If I were hunting big bodied mule deer and elk for the most part I would probably just run a 300 WM. The problem is it is a little too much gun for the little blacktail we have on the west coast.

Been thinking about this myself, I currently have a few different rifles, but I think the way to go is a a lightweight (7-7.5 lbs all up) short action like a 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, or .308 with a 20" #1 barrel and something like a Leupold 1-4 or 1-5, paired with a medium weight (8-8.5 lbs all up), long or magnum action like a .280, .30-06, 7mm mag, or .300 Win Mag with a 24" #2 barrel and a Leupold 3-9 or 2-10. Preferences depend on your recoil tolerance and ability to share bullets in 7mm or .30 caliber if that matters to you.

The nice thing about a pair of rifles like that is having a suitable backup or loaner rifle for most situations, but being different enough to make it worth having 2 guns.

2five7

WKR
Lots of good advice given already! I second the thought of a 6.5 cm, .270 or such in a lightweight rifle for long walks,and a .338 for the big bears and elk at longer ranges.

If you go the one rifle route, 300winny with a heavy vld can surely do it all.

If I had to own only 2 guns, it would be a light weight 270 Winchester and a 338 win mag. The 270 would cover every animal up to elk out to ranges I probably am not capable of shooting and the 338 would get my moose and big bears. Both are time tested, readily available in any make, model, action and style you could want and ammo is abundant and cheap when compared to the ultra mags, and fad cartridges. In a pinch, I would bet a paycheck that if you left your ammo at home, you could find someone in the woods who would have one of these two rounds on them.

Thank goodness I dont have to limit myself to two guns. That would be no fun!

I shoot a 6.5 CM for antelope and deer, and a 30-06 for bear and elk. I handload so I get pretty good ballistics out the '06.

Fitzwho

WKR
Same as a few of the guys above.

Deer/Antelope: 6.5 Creedmoor, custom Rem 700 with 20” Christensen Arms barrel, weighing in at 7lbs with a scope (Razor HD LH).

Anything bigger: 300 Win Mag, custom Rem 700 Carbon Six 23” barrel, weighing in at 9lbs flat with a VX-6.

Also have a couple Savages in 204 and 35 Whelen just to round it out. But the Creedmoor and Win Mag can get pretty much anything done with a new load work up.

I'll be the weird one out here. For antelope, deer, muley, and black bear I would go with a 243, 30-06 for elk and moose.

I’ve used a 243 for my deer, coyote, groundhog gun for the last twelve years now and just recently ordered a 30-06 to do exactly what you stated. I guess that makes two weird ones.