Which Tikka?

For an all pourpose hunting / range rifle should you choose a Tikka T3X lite compact or the Tikka T3X CTR. Both are going to be 308. I am wondering if there is enough meat on the T3X lite barrel to thread 5/8x24 or if an adapter will be required.

Don’t know about the threading issue. You are going to save weight and about $250 to go with the lite but you may spend more to get it threaded, if it is possible.

I just ordered a lite tikka that is going to replace a compact tactical as a hunting gun. I have 2 20 inch 308s that I bought in the “tactical” configuration. One is a Remington xcr with a heavy barrel and the other is a t3 tactical - the predecessor of the CTR. Both shoot great but probably add 1-1.5 pounds over the lite models without a bunch of functionality that really matters while hunting IMO.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I had my Tikka 300 wsm threaded. Gunsmith suggested 1/2x28 and then bushing up from there which is exactly what I did. Works out fine.
MRoighky 1.25-1.5 pound of difference in the CTR and lite versions. I have both. More or less depends how important accuracy is vs weight.

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
Go with the t3x lite. The ctr in my opinion will not provide any more benefit.

OP
M
Thanks for all the info. Does anybody around here hunt with their CTR, and if so did it need to go on a diet?

Difference in bare gun is a bit over a pound and the ctr has a built in base.

My t3 compact tactical in 308 is out on loan but as I recall, it was a shade over 9lbs with a 4x14 scope, heavy tactical rings and claw sling. I expect the lite to come in around 7.7 with a v3xi a dnz mount and lightweight sling.

howl

WKR
Do you intend to shoot more than 20 rounds per range session? Will you spend more time carrying it around or shooting it at the range? When you are carrying it around, will you carry much more, like a loaded pack, at the same time?

OP
M
Howl,
Yes, I am planing and budgeting 2 boxes of ammo for every month. This may prove to be a lofty goal, but it's my current thought process. This will be the only rifle, so I guess more range time practicing than field. .Carrying both rifle and pack

luke moffat

Super Moderator

Mmm I have shot and own both.

Both the CTR and T3 lite provide different benefits.

Yet to see a T3 lite that can shoot 5 shot groups like a CTR out of the box. I have yet to see a kimber Montana that can shoot groups like a T3 lite that’s th progression I have seen.

If backpacking hunt where camp is on your back then lighter the rifle the better often. Day hunting from a base camp rifle weight isn’t that big of a deal. :)

Jon Boy

WKR
Mmm I have shot and own both.

Both the CTR and T3 lite provide different benefits.

Yet to see a T3 lite that can shoot 5 shot groups like a CTR out of the box. I have yet to see a kimber Montana that can shoot groups like a T3 lite that’s th progression I have seen.

If backpacking hunt where camp is on your back then lighter the rifle the better often. Day hunting from a base camp rifle weight isn’t that big of a deal. :)

Ive had the same experience. My hunting partners CTR in 260 is the easiest rifle I've ever shot. I run a modded superlite and he has a number of other lites. All are half minute or less guns but the CTR by far gets the most first round hits at our 8 inch gong at 850.

howl

WKR
I wouldn't want to carry the CTR when backpacking, but it would be preferable when shooting or carrying with just a day pack. I wouldn't want to shoot the lite more than 20 rounds per range session. Around the 18th or 19th shot I start thinking, "When did this thing start kicking so hard?"

I guess shooter fatigue at the range is more manageable than hiking fatigue in the hills.