Ruger Model 77 MKII - 30-06 update or upgrade?

sparetime

FNG
I am a little disappointed in myself and my rifle. I have a Ruger M77 MKII in 30-06. I realize after a miss this season that I need to work on my shooting, especially after running up a hill. I also realize that the trigger on my M77 is terrible and that it could use a good butt pad. It could just be me, but the Ruger felt recoil seems more than other 30-06's I've fired. It sits in the original Ruger wood stock, which isn't the greatest for mountain hunting (primarily an elk rifle, but it does some Wisconsin Deer hunting also).

My question is, would i be better off replacing the stock and the trigger or selling the rifle and getting a semi-custom gun like a Nosler Liberty or a Montana Rifle Company X2? Or is there another company out there I should look at? Seems the Nosler or the MRC can be had for less than $1,400 or so. Seems like I'd be into the same or similar money either way (assuming I can get $450 or $500 for the existing rifle).

EastMT

WKR
If you don't want to blow the money, a drop in trigger and HS Precision stock will run less than 500. I once had a huge collection of the boat paddle stocked guns, super rare ones including 7.62x39. Only one left is the 77/22 but I kind of miss those old guns, bullet proof and indestructible. They have their short comings, the trigger being the main problem. I put a Timney in all mine and they shot pretty good. Good luck with your choice!

Gorp2007

WKR
How far out are you looking to shoot? If you don't like the rifle and you aren't emotionally attached, I'd probably just move on to something else. For $750 you can pick up a Tikka T3X from Cabela's and spend the rest on practice ammo. But I'm biased because I have a Tikka.

Dropped a timney in my boat paddle m77 about 10 years ago. Took it from a 1.5MOA gun to a .75MOA gun. My suggestion is get a new trigger and get a new stock. Unless you just need an excuse to buy a new rifle.

Roy68

WKR
I have a M77 MKII 25-06 that is now 25 years old. I put a Timney in it several years ago and it made a world of difference. I am wholly confident with with my MK II out to 450 yards. It also sounds like you are keenly aware of recoil (I'm not so much), and a limb saver pad may be of benefit to you as well. For $200 you can make a couple of real improvements your Ruger.

When the MKII came out the 3pos safety was great addition imo, and the new trigger was the worst thing imo. I also have a MK I in 7mm to compare too. Also make sure the action screws and optics components are secure.

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same rifle in the same caliber. Mine is a great shooter, but heavy as hell. I have not hunted it in years. For that reason, alone, I might look into a new rifle ... and a new caliber. Tikka makes a great rifle for the listed price above, and there are great glass and ring options that will put you in that $1400 range, total. Several other manufacturers do the same. I own a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 that is a damn fine shooter, and is light enough to carry anywhere. There are mixed reviews on Remington 700's so I won't say anything other than MINE is outstanding, but, the point is, options abound for lighter rifles in your price range not named Nosler or MRC.

Second question, why not look at a caliber that gives you a little more range or top end? You don't need to go up in felt recoil to do that. I'm not much of a .270 fan, but that is a great round, as are most of the 7MM's and a few of the 6.5's (or even a .257 WM or 25-06). If you are wanting one gun for everything, why not look at the .300 WSM? Pretty sweet round that gives you more than the 30-06 without a noticeable difference in recoil and if you don't hand load, no problem (ammo is everywhere now). My advice is clearly worth what you paid for it, but having had this exact argument with myself on a few occasions I thought I'd chime in.

Best of luck whichever way you go.

OP
S

sparetime

FNG
thanks for the input. I have 11 months before hunting season, so I have some time to try a few things and experiment. Looks like a new trigger can be had for under $200 if I have a gunsmith install it. I'll have to do some research to see if a Timney trigger install is something I can do myself or not.

On the other hand, I appreciate that for the cost of a trigger and a replacement stock I can get into a $700 or so rifle and it sounds like I can expect good quality at that price range.

OP
S

sparetime

FNG
I appreciate all the insight, good point that I could be throwing money after a "pig" trying to upgrade my existing rifle, or it could be money well spent.

What can I expect from an upgraded stock? I think replacing the stock will be an improvement to my existing rifle. I just don't have enough experience with stocks to know what to order be it a McMillan, HS Precision or Bell and Carlson. Living in Minnesota I just can't go handle them to determine my best fit.

Money well spent? And after all these 'upgrades' you'll still have a 'pig' that will wear you out if you have to push it. Why not consider getting a lighter rifle with a real stock that mitigates recoil? The MRC will be as heavy as the ruger. A kimber montana/barrett fieldcraft is way lighter and both already have a stock that has considerable less felt recoil than the HS......

Another thing......If you do decide to upgrade the Ruger, you'll never get back the costs of the upgrades IF you do ever decide to sell it. Buy a timney and Micky and figger yours is worth $450, and you'll be money ahead to buy a Kimber.....

howl

WKR
Keep the Ruger as a backup. Buy something else that has less recoil for use at the range. 30/06 is about as much recoil as most people can tolerate without having to bear down and focus hard on handling it. I suggest a .308 class cartridge if not .308 itself. .308 is about the top end in a light rifle you intend to shoot on the range very much.

I am not suggesting any rifle in particular, but I do suggest keeping the controls all the same so you don't have to go searching for the safety, etc in the heat of the moment. Also, the value of a matching 22lr should not be underestimated.

Congratulations on your two new rifles!

FURMAN

WKR
I did not read everything in this thread. It seems you are not emotional attached to the rifle so I would sell it and start else where. I have no idea what your shot distances will be but for general hunting the Tikka is hard to be. In magnum calibers the mag box will severely limit it's capability(still fine for most normal hunting). The Christensen Mesa is a great rifle for the price.

Spend $200 on a Hogue stock and Timney trigger and see if it satisfies what your looking for in this rifle. If it still doesn’t then buy a Tikka in a different caliber like a 270 . You will still be way under your budget and have 2 good rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

a member here has a tika 06 he was going to sell me but i need stainless. says its a shooter

boom

WKR
i sure as hell wouldnt take a miss and let that poopoo a rifle.

if i did that, all my bows would be at the bottom of a lake. even with a rifle, misses happen.

i have a 30.06 that used to clover leaf bullet groups all day long. i shot that rifle a lot. off season was awful for the local desert jackrabbits. you shoot 300 yards at a jack, a deer sized target is low hanging fruit. i did a self imposed archery only vow. only this year did i realize how stupid that was..:). i pulled out that '06. the clover leafs are long gone (same reloads). more like .75" groups. even 1"..shooting is a perishable skill, even nestled in on sandbags on a concrete bench.

i would put a trigger on that gun and shoot it more. familiarity breeds great bullet groups. i let a smitty rework my existing trigger..i have ZERO clue what he did, but it is super crispy..if that makes any sense. my 257 wtby mag needs a new trigger badly.

and i LOVE my wooden stocks. i use a solohunter gun sock and keep the rigs dry. i dont worry about the wood..and i love the feel of it.

I have an MKII in .300 winmag. It has the boat paddle stock. I had a gunsmith polish and reduce the trigger pull for 20 dollars. It shoots 3/4" inch groups at 100 yards with factory ammo. When I used to reload it shot 1/2" groups. Recoil sucks, but hey its a .300. Its been a great gun for me, I took care of the stainless barrel shine with a rattlecan of black spray paint. Its ugly, but boy it kills animals.

My suggestion is a trigger job and new stock. Then work on a higher grade rifle in a different caliber. It is nice to have a good back-up gun on a long trip.

Lots of range time is the next best upgrade. Confidence in your gun and yourself goes a long way.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Snuff

FNG
I would keep it a install a Timney Trigger. I have two MKII that both have timney triggers that are tack drivers. I put a McMillan Stock on the 280 Remington and bedded it also. On the 300 win mag I bedded the Ruger Synthetic Stock. That is a great action and firearm just get a good trigger and you will love it.