18 or 21 inch 6.5 CM

hodgeman

WKR
For most field shooting over nominal ranges- velocity tends to be pretty overrated.

My 18" only shoots 2550MV with 143 ELDX factory. I popped a caribou with it at a lasered 339 yards. Impact speed was right around 2100 fps with 1400 ft/lbs.

The bullet entered the rib cage, broke one on entry, expanded and punched through the opposite rib and the offside hide- showing good expansion and a path of destruction between the two. It's still sailing over the tundra for all I know. The caribou took two steps and tipped over on its nose. I could have lit more gunpowder behind the bullet, added barrel length and MV... and I doubt the outcome would have improved significantly.

I was slow to come to the 6.5 party, but I've become pretty impressed over the course of the season. My 18" Barrett has become one of my favorite rifles- easy to carry and easy to shoot well. I still think it's a little light for an elk or moose, but I've have no qualms tying into one with a decent shot at moderate range.

After comparing notes with Luke and a few others- I think the 6.5 kills better than its paper ballistics would indicate.

KurtR

WKR
RL-26 in both the 24” and 18” loads. Was glad to see RL26 was still able to get a 147 to 2700 even in the shorty barrel.

In the 24” I just got done with all 300 pieces of lapua virgin brass. The load for those 300 was right at 2840 fps proven to 1400 and ES was 15. Now it’s once fired and merely bumping the shoulder back 2 thou I picked up another 60 fps. Still tight primer pockets (lapua small rifle primer may contribute to that to keep the pockets from expanding) or stiff bolt lift, or marks on brass, and primers look good. Just start at like 44 grains and see where you find pressure. I will say without a drop tube I ran out of space in the lapua brass with RL26 before I found pressure with the 143s

To keep things separated and because I had a pile of once fired hornady brass from shooting quite a bit of hornady factory loads too I only run hornady brass in the 18” and I did find pressure 1.5 grains above what was best accuracy with the 147s.

Have you seen any variance with the rl i have use 22 and 19 in a couple guns and when it got hot out i almost got in trouble with a almost stuck bolt. I just use hornady brass i would like do some experimenting but hard to get away from a load that has worked good for me. Thanks for the info.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Have you seen any variance with the rl i have use 22 and 19 in a couple guns and when it got hot out i almost got in trouble with a almost stuck bolt. I just use hornady brass i would like do some experimenting but hard to get away from a load that has worked good for me. Thanks for the info.

Hornady brass I am sure is fine as it seems to work in my fieldcraft thus far. I just wanted to keep brass separate for both 6.5s I have so went with Lapua for the heavy chassis rifle.

I wouldn't switch whats working for you either.

20 in barrel savage lightweight hunter getting 2725 fps with rl17 on the 143 gr eldx took it up to over 2800 with no pressure signs but accuracy was at 2700 mark