Need Rifle Suggestion

Benjblt

WKR
I'm looking for rifle suggestions in 300 WSM. I would prefer a single stack magazine. A rifle that is between 6.5 to 7 lbs give or take. I'm looking to shoot up to 600 yards with the possibility to shoot further if I get the right set-up (scope, load, etc.). I want a production rifle that shoot sub-MOA. I really like the two Browning Speed options and am looking at the Browning Pro but that one is a little further out of reach price wise. It seems that a lot of you are pro Tikka, Kimber, and Montana Rifle Company. I'd like to keep my cost around $1,200 (or less) for the bare rifle. Any thoughts?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Tikka are nice and the one short fall on the WSM (factory mag length limiting COAL) might be getting addressed cheaply shortly. Mountain tactical is releasing some billet long action mags that are claimed to fit the WSM body in a month (I preordered some for mine, so I'll see soon). They also have an extended bolt stop for ~$25. So with the extended bolt stop and long action mag you'll have a 300WSM with an allowed COAL over 3.34" which can run even the long/heavy bullets. With the whittaker gun cost of stainless T3x tikkas you could have a gun with that conversion for under $700 which is well under budget and Tikkas are shooters.

But if you want to save some weight there are certainly some nice Kimbers options.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Tikka are nice and the one short fall on the WSM (factory mag length limiting COAL) might be getting addressed cheaply shortly. Mountain tactical is releasing some billet long action mags that are claimed to fit the WSM body in a month (I preordered some for mine, so I'll see soon). They also have an extended bolt stop for ~$25. So with the extended bolt stop and long action mag you'll have a 300WSM with an allowed COAL over 3.34" which can run even the long/heavy bullets. With the whittaker gun cost of stainless T3x tikkas you could have a gun with that conversion for under $700 which is well under budget and Tikkas are shooters.

But if you want to save some weight there are certainly some nice Kimbers options.

Are you talking the synthetic stock? What's the weight?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Weight of a Tikka? They are a bit over 6lb. With a lighter scope and talley rings you're talking a 7.25 scoped gun. I know some models of kimbers are lighter but you'd need to look over their offerings, I don't know them intimately.

robie

WKR
I've got the kimber montana and feel I should have just saved the money and gone Tikka.

I like my gun but not sure there is a huge benefit to paying for the Montana.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes they are a single stack plastic magazine. All tikkas have the same action length but they have different magazines and bolt stops to create short/medium/long action configurations. Putting a long action stop into a short/medium action gun allows the bolt to go back further to use a long action magazine with a short/medium action cartridge. The issue with the WSM is that the factory long action magazine needs some work to the feed lips and likely a bit of thinning of the walls. Supposedly the one mountain tactical is releasing next month will feed long action WSM just fine.

To be clear the factory 300wsm configuration works fine with SAMMI length cartridges, the above is for reloaders wanting to use long bullets seated out long.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Yes they are a single stack plastic magazine. All tikkas have the same action length but they have different magazines and bolt stops to create short/medium/long action configurations. Putting a long action stop into a short/medium action gun allows the bolt to go back further to use a long action magazine with a short/medium action cartridge. The issue with the WSM is that the factory long action magazine needs some work to the feed lips and likely a bit of thinning of the walls. Supposedly the one mountain tactical is releasing next month will feed long action WSM just fine.

To be clear the factory 300wsm configuration works fine with SAMMI length cartridges, the above is for reloaders wanting to use long bullets seated out long.

Got it. Thanks.

Brado16

WKR

pods do you have a T3x 300 WSM? If so what is the heaviest bullets that the 1:11 is allowing you to shoot and at what velocity?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
pods do you have a T3x 300 WSM? If so what is the heaviest bullets that the 1:11 is allowing you to shoot and at what velocity?

I have a T3x action at hells canyon getting a 9.5 twist carbon barrel chambered in 300wsm. So I needed to address the mag length issue but sorry no input on the factory 300wsm barrel (donor was a 7mag).

GKPrice

Banned
I have worked with a T3 in 300 WSM, it shoots 200 grain Accubonds as well as any other rifle I've seen (including my son's T3x 300 Win Mag,and it just drives tacks) - just don't plan on a big velocity gain in that particular combo, 180 Accubonds will surprise you

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I have worked with a T3 in 300 WSM, it shoots 200 grain Accubonds as well as any other rifle I've seen (including my son's T3x 300 Win Mag,and it just drives tacks) - just don't plan on a big velocity gain in that particular combo, 180 Accubonds will surprise you

What kind of groups are you getting with the T3?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Heavier, more expensive. But if you're interested in them check'm out.

I happen to like Tikkas a lot. Sleek actions, accurate, relatively affordable stainless guns in a decent factory synthetic stock with a pretty good trigger that I can hunt hard. Mag length issues are one con for certain cartridges and not as much aftermarket support (compared to remmington 700 for instance) but that is growing. Can't say I've paid attention either way to what after market support browning has, I've never had any real motivation to consider them.

Are brownings even single stack mags?

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Heavier, more expensive. But if you're interested in them check'm out.

I happen to like Tikkas a lot. Sleek actions, accurate, relatively affordable stainless guns in a decent factory synthetic stock with a pretty good trigger that I can hunt hard. Mag length issues are one con for certain cartridges and not as much aftermarket support (compared to remmington 700 for instance) but that is growing. Can't say I've paid attention either way to what after market support browning has, I've never had any real motivation to consider them.

Are brownings even single stack mags?

Thanks for the feedback. I've seen a lot of support for Tikka and they seem a little more cheapley made the few times I've held them.

The Browning X-Bolts are single stack.

Gorp2007

WKR
The Browning X-Bolts are single stack.

According to the the Browning website, the X-Bolt utilizes a rotary magazine. It doesn't matter to me one way or another, but if you're truly looking for a single-stack, it may matter to you.

Rotary Magazine

On the plus side, the price of X-Bolt magazines makes the replacement cost for Tikka mags a little more palatable.

Last edited:
OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
According to the the Browning website, the X-Bolt utilizes a rotary magazine. It doesn't matter to me one way or another, but if you're truly looking for a single-stack, it may matter to you.

Rotary Magazine

On the plus side, the price of X-Bolt magazines makes the replacement cost for Tikka mags a little more palatable.

I guess you're right but it feeds inline with the bolt and that's what matters.