Mountain rifle options

sparetime

FNG
Been doing some homework on a new mountain rifle for elk. I've convinced myself that it will be in .300 win mag.

I've sorta narrowed it down to the following rifles
Christensen Arms Mesa
Montana Rifle co. X2
Nosler 48
Sako A7

I've been able to look the nosler and Sako over in person. I'm making the assumption that the MRC X2 is going to be very similar to a Winchester Extreme Weather, which I've been able to check out. Let me know if that's a poor comparison. This leaves only the Mesa that I haven't handled.

Cost wise they are all within budget, and not more than a couple hundred from the cheapest to the most expensive.

Any input on one vs the other?

I don't want to hunt with a brake, but the Mesa is included because it has one that can be removed. The other three don't come standard with a brake.could be nice for range practice, but i do have a lead sled, so it isn't an absolute.

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
For a little more money I’d recommend a Sako Finnlite. Execellent rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
I've had the Nosler 48 in .300WSM since 2006... I just can't say enough good about it. Reasonably light, ridiculously accurate, and the finish is weatherproof as it gets.

FURMAN

WKR
The Sako and Nosler will limit bullet seating if you reload. My vote is for the Mesa.

AXEL

WKR
Elk are tough, often live in VERY harsh country and will head into gullies dense with blowdown and even Devil's Club, if hit slightly "off key". Then, you will suffer to get one out and may even lose it to a Grizzly, here in BC, anyway.

Sooo, a LIGHT, CRF powerful rifle seems best and I have a lot of "Elk Rifles". My usual favourite is my Dakota 76-.338WM, customized by Ralf Martini and wearing a Leupy VX3 1.75x6 MHD.

But, I am an old geezer, rather crippled by injuries and find my KMA .280AI calling to me each excursion more now and with the 160NPt. at 3000 fps-mv, this is both adequate and easy to pack on a pack full of meat in BC's mountains. Well, "easy" is a relative term here...... ;)

Try one, perhaps the regular Montana in .300Win, running 180-200 premium bullets and see how you go.

Best of luck, elk are "it" for me.

OP
S

sparetime

FNG
The Sako and Nosler will limit bullet seating if you reload. My vote is for the Mesa.

Thank you for the info. Can you expand on why the Sako and nosler may limit seating depth? Are the magazines short thereby restricting overall cartridge length?

FURMAN

WKR
The last Sako I was around and all the long action Noslers to my knowledge have a 3.4" magazine. The longer bullets for the 300 win mag are going to be around 3.7" when seated properly. The other issue with the Sako is most likely it will have an 11 twist which is too slow for bigger bullets. If you are planning on shooting 180s or less in the 300 I would suggest a 7mm as it will be far superior ballistically. You will run into the exact same issue with the magazine with a 7mm Rem Mag.

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
If by mountain rifle, you mean you will be hauling it aroud alot... you are missing the best of the bunch for toting aroudnd... Kimber Montana or subalpine/ mountain ascent if your budget allows.

Nothing comes close to that weight at that price...

WyoElk

WKR
I was and am in The same boat. I picked up a nosler but by the time I got a scope on it (VX-5) it was heavier than I wanted for a mountain rifle. Lightening it was going to be pretty spendy so I decided to go another way. I’m currently looking at a fierce Fury. Should be a touch over 8 with the same scope. I also like the detachable magazine but it’s not mandatory for me.

I can afford a Kimber but they just don’t appeal to me for whatever reason. I’m also set on a 300win so I don’t want to go quite that light either. The other rifle in my consideration is a Weatherby mark V ultra lightweight. 6 3/4 bare but it just Doesn’t seem like quite as much rifle for the money.

The Mesa’s seem nice but it’s going to end just a little heavier than I want. Seem like great triggers though.

OP
S

sparetime

FNG
I'll do some looking into the Kimber.

I hadn't already for several reasons, the first being I've read that accuracy can vary from rifle to rifle and there are plenty of other companies that are very accurate. The second is, I'm not sure if I can shoot a lightweight rifle very well. Third is recoil is inversly proportional to weight of the gun, all other things being equal. Wish I had a way to try one out.

Not trying to bash Kimber, I just don't know that much about them.

mmac

WKR
I have to agree on Kimber. I have a 300 win mag and in the supergrade I think it is called. I have an elk hunt coming up and taking that over a Cooper in the same cal. I did have to send it back because the firing pin was having problems. But they were fine to work with and was not a big issue. With handloads I can get 3 into 1/2 moa. If I can do that it is really just an accurate rifle.

I have never understood the bashing, but I think all rifles have issues. I have a browning A-bolt I have never been able to group and just gave up. Others love them though....

Muttly

WKR
For what it,s worth, just some numbers I had written down juggling ounces with a Zeiss HD 5..
Kimber MA, in 300 Win Mag, 7 lbs, 12 oz.. Montana would be right at 8 lbs.. Lighter scope could knock 5-6-7 ounces off as well. That with Talley rings.
Only have the one Kimber, first three from a cold barrel are pretty close together, hot barrel doesn't throw em near as bad as I thought it would. It,'ll show my mistakes pretty quick though, not necessarily a bad thing..

My son has a Model 70 Extreme weather SS in 300 WSM with a Zeiss Conquest mounted on it. That is sure a nice package and I really like it. Hard to go wrong with a Cooper or Montana Rifles X2 in 280 Remington or 280 AI!

I was and am in The same boat. I picked up a nosler but by the time I got a scope on it (VX-5) it was heavier than I wanted for a mountain rifle. Lightening it was going to be pretty spendy so I decided to go another way. I’m currently looking at a fierce Fury. Should be a touch over 8 with the same scope. I also like the detachable magazine but it’s not mandatory for me.

I can afford a Kimber but they just don’t appeal to me for whatever reason. I’m also set on a 300win so I don’t want to go quite that light either. The other rifle in my consideration is a Weatherby mark V ultra lightweight. 6 3/4 bare but it just Doesn’t seem like quite as much rifle for the money.

The Mesa’s seem nice but it’s going to end just a little heavier than I want. Seem like great triggers though.

If you're fine with a 6 3/4 lb bare rifle and don't want to spend $2,000, look at the Vanguard Backcountry or Wilderness. Same weight, less than half the price. I just picked up a used .30-06 Backcountry for $500, it weighs in at 6 lb 9.7 oz. Add a Leupold VX-2 2-7x33 at 9.9 oz, and you're looking at a 7.5 lb gun all up that has enough balls to shoot anything that walks, isn't too heavy to carry most places, but is just heavy enough to shoot well and not make you flinch.

I've seen countless reviews of the Tikka T3 rifles. Seems that everyone who owns one, loves it. They just never felt right to me.

Might be worth checking into.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have one of those too but its no mountain rifle IMO, mine weighs in at over 8lb compared to my Kimber which is just a hair over 6lb.