Mountain rifle options

EastMT

WKR
So I've been truck shopping, compared all the options, narrowed it down to Ford or Chevy, what are your thoughts on these two?

Internet: dodge or Toyota, but Nissan is best.....def not Honda........

OP
S

sparetime

FNG
Thanks for all the replies. Good information to know that the Nosler and Sako may have mag length issues. I probably would have missed that detail. Otherwise, sounds like I should take a look at Kimber also. There is a dealer with 4 of the five in stock about 4 hours from me. Might have to make a road trip so I can check all of them out. They don't have the Christensen Mesa, but have the Sako, Nosler, MRC and Kimber. Which is pretty amazing if you think about it.

FURMAN

WKR
If the Mesa is like my Ridgeline you’ll be limited in seating depth there too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both of my Ridgelines are right at 3.7 which will be perfect for a 215 in a 300 Win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

deadwolf

WKR
Both of my Ridgelines are right at 3.7 which will be perfect for a 215 in a 300 Win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'll double check the mag box length on my 300wsm tomorrow, but I cannot get to within .003 of the lands with my Berger 185 vlds. Off the top of my head I think I'm at 2.93" COAL. I normally measure CBTO. I have to look at my data in the morning. Maybe the LA's are more forgiving.

FURMAN

WKR
I'll double check the mag box length on my 300wsm tomorrow, but I cannot get to within .003 of the lands with my Berger 185 vlds. Off the top of my head I think I'm at 2.93" COAL. I normally measure CBTO. I have to look at my data in the morning. Maybe the LA's are more forgiving.

The OP is wanting a 300 WIN MAG you are talking about a cartridge that I would NEVER build or own in a true short action such as a Savage or Rem 700. The 300 WSM really needs to be run in a long action if you want a repeater. I do not have a 300 WSM in front of me but I would guess it would probably run about 3.2" with a Berger 215 seated with its boat tail junction at the neck/shoulder junction. Remingtons and clones typically run right at 3.7" without a Wyatt box in long actions. Short actions typically run about 2.85" in Remington and around 2.95-3.00" in a Savage. I have never seen a true short action with a magazine box greater than 3.0". I would not say long actions are more forgiving. I would say manufacturers are not very bright when then neuter cartridges by shoving them in magazines that are too short.

deadwolf

WKR
I realize the OP is asking for a different cartridge, I'm giving my personal observations and experience in regards to a specific rifle maker, and cautioned him that maybe the mag box in the long action Ridgeline might also run short. Luckily you chimed in with your 3.7" number and he should be good to go. And I'd pass on shooting the 215 from my short mag anyway, don't need it. I'll second and agree wholeheartedly that manufacturers shoot themselves in the foot by not giving the reloader ample room to load em long.