First rifle help

I had a post earlier asking about the CTR as a hunting rifle. I went out this last weekend with a borrowed Savage scout rifle In 308 with a detachable mag and a heavier barrel. After lugging that thing around for a couple days, I no longer wish for a detachable mag heavy barrel rifle for hunting. I learned a lot talking with other rifle hunters about their setups while on this hunt.

Rifle thoughts / choices:
I am now leaning towards rifles like the Christensen Arms Mesa, Tikka lite or Superlites,Kimber or maybe a Barrett Fieldcraft.

Scopes:
I'm thinking to top it with a Vortex Razor LH, Nightforce SHV, or a Sig Whiskey 5, or a used Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42

Caliber:
My goal is still to practice as much as possible this next year, so caliber and ammo cost is a big concern. I learned shooting bows that it's best to avoid starting bad habbits, so Im looking at 6.5 creedmoore, 30-06? Open to other suggestions as well. What is a good longer range performer (400-500) yards for Elk, Muley, Antelopes that won't break my already surgically repaired shoulder or pocket book?

Holaday

FNG
When you talk about breaking your pocket book, how much are we talking here? The rifles and scopes you have listed don’t scream budget friendly, although everyone’s pocket-book friendly budget is different.

I doubt anyone will argue with getting a 308/270/3006 for reasonable distance shots on any of the animals listed.

Have you shot much in the past? What’s your tolerance for recoil? If you’re planning on consistently taking long range shots then maybe the three I listed aren’t for you (elk...). If you’re keeping shots to 300 yards then no problems likely.

Buy good bullets for big game.

I should be hunting but instead I’m on Rokslide...

JWP58

WKR
I'd probably just get a Tikka T3 in either 30-06 or 308 (whichever you prefer, the Tikka is a long action only so take that for what its worth). As far as scopes, any of the scopes you listed you can get the cheapest.

Any of those combos will serve you well, for years I suspect. I have no idea concerning your shoulder, but reduced recoil loads can be purchased if needed, as well as aftermarket recoil pads/muzzle brakes.

mmac

WKR
Where do you live? For every good comment on a rifle, you will have someone with a bad experience. The only real way to sort it out is to shoot some options. If you live in AZ, I would be happy go to the range sometime. I would bet others would offer the same as it is a good group on here ....

JFK

WKR
If this is your first rifle I’m going to assume that you are also new to shooting and hunting with a rifle....is this correct?

If so, I would do two things. First, simplify your gear choices. No need for fancy or exotic calibers or rifles. Second, I would shorten those distances up on what you are considering average shots. 150-300 yards is more normal and doesn’t require that you dial in yardage on your scope. A variable power 3x9x40 scope is a great option. Sight in 1.5” high at 100 yards, learn your drops and go hunting. Find a good bullet that your rifle likes then shoot it at the range too. It’s expensive but there is little reason to not practice with the same ammo that you’ll use on a hunt. A rimfire 17hmr is a good practice rifle for higher volume shooting. 270/30-06/308 are all good choices for a first rifle and will always have a place. If, later on you decide longer shots, scopes that you can dial, or a larger caliber would serve you better than you can always get a second rifle to fit that need.

OP
M
Not new to shooting. Used to shoot pistol comps, and long range with friends (borrowed equipment) before kiddos. Just never hunted with a rifle. Always been a bowhunter.
Learning rifle hunting is a deep hole of knowledge, and money.

I'd suggest a Tikka T3X in either 7-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor or even the 30-06, although I dont have any experience with the Creedmoor just yet I do have plenty with the 7-08. I replaced the crappy stock recoil pad on my Tikka 7-08 with a limbsaver and that thing is really mild recoiling. Plenty of good factory ammo for pretty reasonable prices.

I've had a few Vortex pieces and havent been real happy with them so personally I'd stay away from the Vortex line. I'd look at the Leupold lines in either 3x9 or 4.5x14. They are light weight and I've never had a problem with them. Theres always going to be someone who's had a bad experience with something though so take that for whats its worth. Good luck with whatever you end up getting and make sure to post up some pics of what you end up with and how it shoots!

I'd suggest a Tikka T3X in either 7-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor or even the 30-06, although I dont have any experience with the Creedmoor just yet I do have plenty with the 7-08. I replaced the crappy stock recoil pad on my Tikka 7-08 with a limbsaver and that thing is really mild recoiling. Plenty of good factory ammo for pretty reasonable prices.

I've had a few Vortex pieces and havent been real happy with them so personally I'd stay away from the Vortex line. I'd look at the Leupold lines in either 3x9 or 4.5x14. They are light weight and I've never had a problem with them. Theres always going to be someone who's had a bad experience with something though so take that for whats its worth. Good luck with whatever you end up getting and make sure to post up some pics of what you end up with and how it shoots!

I agree 100% with this ^^^^ as, I chose a Tikka t3 Lite, Stainless,.. in 270 WSM caliber ! Putting a 3x9 Burris on top for, "real World, hunting" to 700 Yards (with a Dial on top) and will PRACTICE, offhand, sitting with sticks, prone over, Back Pack and leave the,.. almost 1 Pound Bipod,. HOME ! I shaved 1.5 Pounds off, my Rem Model 700 SPS ( 7 MM Mag) am loading 140 Accubonds in the .270 WSM to 3,150 and am keeping everything,.. SIMPLE ! Total Rifle / scope cost,.. $920.00 NO Brakes for me, I'll Drink the Rum and go light at, 7.4 Pounds total weight with, steel Burris Rings ! I don't need to "assasinate" an Elk or, Deer at,..1,000+ yards ! If you go Tikka .270 or bigger, don't forget to buy a Limbsaver Recoil pad ! Good Luck !

The "Perfect" Deer/ Elk, Rifle, DOESN'T exist, IMO . I'd sort out where you are going to Hunt and how ( terrain, "style" of Hunting planned and RANGE for, possible shots ) THEN, start to think of, weight of Gun and Caliber needed, to shoot, the distance required ! I personally like to,.. walk, stalk, sit and Glass from,.. open Sage country, to dark timber ! My shooting range might be from, 40 yards to, maybe 500- 600 yards.
And you don't need, to spend a Fortune to Hunt, like I do ! Hope this "helps" ! Practice, practice, practice,... ALL, the shooting "positions" necessary, to HIT, is way MORE important than,.. the Caliber, you pick !

OP
M
I don't intend to "assasinate" elk, deer, or any other game. I know I passed up a cow elk, and doe mule deer this last weekend at just over 300 yards With a 308 because I didnt praractice enough with a borrowed rifle. I'm most interested in a good caliber I can shoot often (budget part of this equation) enough to become proficent at distance. I only get one chance to buy a scoped rifle, so I'm trying real hard to ask questions, do tons of research, and not screw it up.
Thanks for all the comments and info so far!

I don't intend to "assasinate" elk, deer, or any other game. I know I passed up a cow elk, and doe mule deer this last weekend at just over 300 yards With a 308 because I didnt praractice enough with a borrowed rifle. I'm most interested in a good caliber I can shoot often (budget part of this equation) enough to become proficent at distance. I only get one chance to buy a scoped rifle, so I'm trying real hard to ask questions, do tons of research, and not screw it up.
Thanks for all the comments and info so far!

My best Friend and my son, both, really like, the 7mm08 Cal. (140-162 grain loads) for low recoil and fairly flat, trajectory (always use a Range Finder, tho !) I chose the .270 WSM ( 140 Nosler Accubonds/ 150 Partitions) for a tad more, "reach" and "punch" but, like you said and I mentioned, earlier, it's all about,.. "practice" at "real World" Range and shooting positions ! MOST Elk, are shot, UNDER 400 Yards ! The old .270 Win has killed a LOT of Game and ammo cost is reasonable, too. I do love my Tikka .270 WSM so far ( but, I Hand load, so ammo cost is the same as, a .270 Win.) and it IS, the "Perfect",.. Rifle / Cal. for,.. ME ! The .270 WSM Recoil is, a tad heavier, tho ! SOLD, my 9 lb.( without, Bipod ) mod 700 7mm Rem. Mag. and truly love 7.4 lbs BETTER but, I cannot, shoot/ Kill over 700 yards anymore,.. gotta get, "closer",.. LOL
I carry, the Hunters Specialties wood "sticks" with a strap on my back for, sitting shots,.. to 300 yards and rest the rifle over my Fanny pack with, a Holland rear rest, "Field bag" to support the "Toe" of stock for, Prone shots, over 300 yards. You sound like an "ethical Hunter" to me and WE all applaud, that !
When I used the word "assasinate" I meant that, the Elk/ Deer, don't even know that, the so called, "Long Range, Hunters" are even on, the same Planet with them,..they are so far away ! ( Shooting, NOT,..Hunting, IMO !) Good luck with your choice !

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely settle on a caliber, first.

I don't think that anyone in the world has a bad thing to say about a .308 or a 30-06 (other than me, maybe), but I think that it is reasonable to place those calibers in a proper category. I might label that category, "Traditional Hunting Calibers." I have a 30-06, and it is a tack driver, but in a heavier Ruger M77. That, in conjunction with the marginal ballistics, keeps it in the safe more than the field. I love it, but am just not thrilled to hunt with it. Looking at a ballistics chart will likely make you question a .308, too. But, the .308 has a well earned reputation as a hard hitting accurate round. For me, it is hard to get past the marginal ballistics, though. I just don't get it. It is not enough to say that "hey, the .308 has been around forever, and I have killed X with it." Some logical reasoning would be nice once in a while as to why people love it, other than to say that they were taught to love it by their dad or grandpa, etc. Frankly, the ballistics suck. See any chart online for nearly any standard hunting bullet weight (150-180 for the .308) and you will be surprised it is still being sold. Reloaders can push those numbers, but not enough to make it enticing for me. Ammo is cheaper than most calibers though as there is a ton of it out there, for obvious reasons. That, and the AR platform application, are the only logical reasons I can come to as to why it is still around and popular.

If you are able to move past the traditional calibers, you will find that there are a few really attractive options in the 7MM category that won't break the bank on ammo purchases and will give you better ballistics (see, 7MM-08--based on .308 casing--, .280 Rem, etc.). There is a very good recommendation above for the .270 WSM. That is an outstanding all around caliber and ammo is readily available in most areas and mid range in terms of cost. My hunting partner shoots a standard .270 and loves it, too. Nothing wrong with that selection if you are looking for a readily available caliber that shoots flat. I am not a huge fan, but I respect the hell out of a lot of guys who are, so what do I know.

If you like the 6.5's, there is nothing wrong with the creedmoor. I've seen what the 120 grain Super Performance GMX rounds do to big, tough, CA mountain boars and have been very impressed. Accurate, easy on the shoulder, and enough punch to kill almost anything in the lower 48. Plus, ammo is getting cheaper and is available anywhere. If you plan on shooting a lot, this might be the best selection.

I think that I have posted a few times that I am a .280 Rem guy. If you buy ammo online, like I do, the cost is about average for hunting calibers and you are on the top end of standard caliber ballistics (close to magnum numbers). There was a post above about the .280 AI. I firmly believe that the .280 AI is the best all around north american hunting round (EXCLUDING BIG BEARS) IF YOU RELOAD. I do not reload, so I stick to the .280 Rem and have killed a spectrum of game with it with zero bullet failures.

As far as rifle choices, you seem to have a good grip on that part. I opt for lighter rifles as I hike a lot. Some folks, like my brother, can handle a heavier rifle on long hikes. I feel the extra 1-3 lbs after day 1, so I try to keep my hunting rifles in the 7.5LB+- range. Obviously, it is best to go and handle a few and see what you like. Settle on a barrel length/type, weight, stock, etc. I got lucky and bought a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle .280 that shoots straight. From what I read, some of them don't. Tikka is a GREAT selection, too, for all the same reasons. Lots of Tikka guys on this site. That there are so many really speaks to the direction that company is headed in. Plus, you'll save a bunch of cash on the rifle purchase that you can use for ammo or upgraded rings/scope.

Long, windy post. I love this stuff, though, and really enjoy reading posts on this site on the topic so I thought I might chime in and offer some marginally useful content. Obviously, I stayed away from the bigger mag calibers and the expensive smaller calibers. Best of luck with the purchase. More importantly, best of luck in the field with your new purchase.

weaver

WKR
I'd go with a Tikka T3 3006
Nightforce Shv 3-10x42
Dnz huntmaster rings.
Try HSM Trophy gold 185gr ammo
Very capable 500yd elk rifle.

Colorado bull taken at 520yds with this exact setup.
ee2fd5d994abf6e88296f63ff9c8bdee.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

OP
M
Nightforce Shv 3-10x42
Dnz huntmaster rings.

Thank you!
Beautiful animal.

Nightforce Shv 3-10x42
Dnz huntmaster rings.

YUP, the .30-06 is NEVER, a "bad choice" ! In my Family and Hunting "friends" group, we have killed, dozens of Deer, Elk and Bear with it ! My first Big Game, rifle was an NRA Springfield 06 that, I got at 15 years of age and killed my first Buck at 16. A few years later I just had to have, a Left Handed .270 Wby Mag. then, a .338 Win Mag built on a Wby L-H Action, it was a serious "Tack Driver" ,..clover leafing, 210 grain Noslers @ 100 yds. But they DO,.."Kick" and I'm NOT, 40 anymore ! I would have bought, a Lefty in 7mm08 IF, I could have found a Stainless Stl., Tikka,.. the .270 WSM is "good enough" for me, tho as, I reload ! NICE, Bull and GREAT, shot !

I AGREE with, most of the posts on, Calibers for Deer and Elk ! .270 Win. .308 Win, .30-06, .280 Rem ( AI if, you Reload, too ), 7mm08, the .270, 7mm and .300 WSM's ( IF, recoil, is NOT an issue, for you ! ) THEY will, ALL kill humanely, to 500-600 yards with, the "RIGHT" bullet/ ammo and GOOD shot "placement" ! However I PERSONALLY, would NOT buy,.. a 6.5 creed for Elk unless, you plan to keep, the shot to, 400-450 MAX ! AGAIN only,.. my personal opinion !

Lindbm5

FNG
If your interested in a whiskey 5 I have a very lightly used 5-25×52 I can give you a great deal on. It might be a little too much scope for your app. I never had the turret cut, so you could get one made for whatever rifle you choose. I would also suggest a tikka in you caliber of preference. They are great shooters.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425