regarding ammo, what does "cartridge run out" mean

njdoxie

WKR
I'm reviewing new ammo for my 338 win mag, the old ammo it was dialed in for is no longer available, and I came across this in a review of a certain ammo:

"In my very fickle SAKO 338 Win Mag this ammo gives me 3/4" groups at 100m when I sort each cartridge for run out. The ones with the smallest run out I use for hunting between 0.03" to 0.06". The ones above this, some up to 0.12", I use for practice and to verify my zero."

Can someone tell me what "cartridge run out" is?

OP
N

njdoxie

WKR
Thx for the resopnse, but I'm not a handloader, don't have the tools....is there any way to measure with a caliper?

I guess I could get dial indicator, but what tool would I use to spin the cartridge?

OP
N

njdoxie

WKR
Thx, I'm finding a lot of info, now that I know what to look for.

Last edited:

muddydogs

WKR
If your shooting factory it's a non issue. Find a factory round that your rifle likes and shoot it.

Not the most scientific or accurate method, but roll the cartridge down a mirror or piece of glass held at a slight angle, and watch the tip of the bullet. If it doesn't wobble, there is minimum run out. The more the tip wobbles as it rolls down the glass, the greater the run out is.

OP
N

njdoxie

WKR
If your shooting factory it's a non issue. Find a factory round that your rifle likes and shoot it.

I'm trying some factory ammo from doubletap, it uses a bullet I like, 250 gr np, and it's the fastest 250gr load on the market, I chronod it at 2745, but I get a flier every few shots. But I love the bullet and ballistics....I bought a hornady concentricity tool, to examine the ammo with, I'm hoping I can find a reason for the fliers and weed out those shells.