Montana Rifle Co vs Christensen Arms

Jake C.

FNG
I've narrowed my rifle choice down between two companies and their rifles. Montana Rifle Co's X2 Extreme and Christensen Arms Mesa or Ridgeline. I was recently considering a Weatherby but would rather go with one of these companies. The only real reason I like the Christensen Arms choices is because they are cerakoted or the carbon fiber wrap and have a muzzle brake already. I like the Montana better because of the simple look and have heard better opinions about their company. I can have a muzzle brake added very easy so im not worried about that. Just figured I would try to pick some of the brains on this site in aiding with my decision with pros/cons from you guys.

If you have either of these rifles let me know what you like/dislike about them please. Thanks!

ofl0926

WKR
do you know what caliber you want the rifle?
in the near future, i am probably buying a mesa. just love the look of the rifle. dont knock weatherby. i own multiple mark V rifles and they are great shooter. as well as there vanguard. in the vanguard line they have the backcountry and in the mark V, the ultra lightweight or the weathermark.

I’m torn between these to for the same reasons you mentioned.
I’m leaning toward the x2 because it looks like it built to take a besting and I really like the m70 style action. But a muzzle break would in order and I haven’t looked into what that would entail.

But then the mesa’s are a sweet looking gun, cheaper, and already have a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jake C.

FNG
do you know what caliber you want the rifle?
in the near future, i am probably buying a mesa. just love the look of the rifle. dont knock weatherby. i own multiple mark V rifles and they are great shooter. as well as there vanguard. in the vanguard line they have the backcountry and in the mark V, the ultra lightweight or the weathermark.

Ya im gonna go with a 300 win mag. Ya ive always heard good things about Weatherbys.

OP
J

Jake C.

FNG
I’m torn between these to for the same reasons you mentioned.
I’m leaning toward the x2 because it looks like it built to take a besting and I really like the m70 style action. But a muzzle break would in order and I haven’t looked into what that would entail.

But then the mesa’s are a sweet looking gun, cheaper, and already have a break.

Haha we have the same problem, I keep going back and forth everyday. Not sure what ill end up choosing. Ive got to wait a year here in Indiana to hunt with it anyways so I might end up saving some more pennies through the year and going with a Fury like WYO-GASMAN said or the Christensen Ridgeline.

ofl0926

WKR
Haha we have the same problem, I keep going back and forth everyday. Not sure what ill end up choosing. Ive got to wait a year here in Indiana to hunt with it anyways so I might end up saving some more pennies through the year and going with a Fury like WYO-GASMAN said or the Christensen Ridgeline.

thats not a bad idea. save some more money and get a better model. either way, whichever rifle you choose, try and see if you can handle one. see which fits you better. all those rifles are great rifles and shooters

OP
J

Jake C.

FNG
thats not a bad idea. save some more money and get a better model. either way, whichever rifle you choose, try and see if you can handle one. see which fits you better. all those rifles are great rifles and shooters

Ya id like to handle the Christensen Models but Cabelas never has them in stock and its a touch over an hour drive for me! Either way im sure both are fantastic rifles and they will fit me pretty well. Im pretty good at adjusting to the gun if I have to a little bit.

wyo_gasman

Lil-Rokslider
I have my heart set on a Cooper model 92, I played with a Fury at Sportsmans Warehouse the other day and man its a good feeling gun.

I wonder where the kimber montana would stack up between these two. Looks like newer models are threaded for brakes.

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm liking my mesa, but want a side baffle brake for prone shooting. I'm no long range guy but it's shot well under Moa with factory hornady Eldx.

Recoil is very manageable, in a 300 it's not a very light gun, but I'm coming from a kimber that I didn't care for all that much. The mesa is comfortable to shoot for me. And I don't mind the extra weight for a gun I can shoot better and have more fun behind at the range.

I like it so much I'll be getting one in 6.5 creedmoor for the wife, and for a lighter cal gun, still considering going with the ridge line so I can plug in CA side baffle brake without any fussing around.

Blandry

WKR
I think kimber does everything right. They've had some QC issues in the past but appear to have worked it out at least in their rifle line. I've been looking at Montana, similar rifle with a controlled feed semi-custom at an affordable price and seemingly better QC than kimber but at a heavier weight. The Christensen is a modified push feed rem700 action. The straight comb of the kimber also suits me.

I have two kimbers that have served me well. I'd have no problem buying another one.

I'd go with the Montana rifle from your two considerations.

Last edited:
I just noticed that the Montana Extreme X2 is now carried at Sportsman's Warehouse. Looks like they have a few of them in stock here locally. I've always wanted to get my hands on one and looks like I can now. If only their long actions were closer to 7 lbs....