Tikka 7-08 and accubonds

Like the title states I have a t3 lite 7mm-08 and I cannot for the life of me get 140 accubonds to group with varget. Loaded to max mag length,loaded incrementally shorter, tried many different powder charges.

Using virgin winny brass, cci 200 primers. Anybody got any insight on OAL or different powders, or should I just move to a different bullet.

Holaday

FNG
Are the shots all over the map or do you get the odd flyer? Have you tried some premium target ammo at 140 grains just to see if it’s the gun or an ammo issue? Keeping your barrel clean?

I should be hunting but instead I’m on Rokslide...

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
My Wife's Savage loves varget with the 120 gr. Ballistic tip, 140 BT, and 139 gr. IB.

You could try different primers? Or try RL17, RL19, H414, or H 4350.

What kind of groups are you getting? Are you 100% sure you don't have a scope or mounts issue?

OP
A
Avg group of around 2". Most are 2.5-3. Not what I'm looking for. I'm thinking of trying different brass. Not impressed with the Winchester Right out of the bag.

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
I have seen components make a big difference so that may be a great place to start. Good luck!

N2TRKYS

WKR
Avg group of around 2". Most are 2.5-3. Not what I'm looking for. I'm thinking of trying different brass. Not impressed with the Winchester Right out of the bag.

I like Winchester brass. I wasn't crazy about Lapua brass, though. Try a different primer or powder.

Try sum H4350.. I found in my 7-08 any thing over 130 gets H4350.. 130 and under gets varget..

YUP,.. THIS ^^^ H4350 and RL17 are good powders for, the 7mm08 ( 140 ) and REMINGTON Brass "might be" available at, Precision Reloading, in Mitchell SD. They had my .270 WSM brass in Rem. brand. Powder "Burn Rate" and Bullet vs Twist, are very important in getting great accuracy from a bbl. I had also read that guys were getting VERY good accuracy from the 150 grain AccuBond in 7mm08. Good Luck !

AdamW

WKR
I had the same issue with 140 Accubonds in my .270 before elk season last year. Decided that time was better spent prepping other things for the trip and ended (not) shooting factory ammo. There's a combo out there your gun will like, it's always just the hunt of finding it. For someone like me, it is brutal. For others, it's the "hunt" that is fun. They're sick in the head though. :D

Nick-D

FNG
My 7mm08 shoots 140 Ballistic tips into 1/2 moa, rem brass and 2208. I have never had any issues getting AB or NBT's to shoot. Check that the rifle is sitting in the stock properly, the recoil lugs can be finnicky to fit when you throw the stock back on.

short of that get some factory ammo and try it, see if its the rifle. I've yet to meet a tikka that doesnt shoot

Mike 338

WKR
Loaded incrementally shorter? That's a bit vague.

If you haven't started at .010" off the lands and tested in .030" increments, all the way up to .130" jump (.010", .040", .070", .100", .130"), then you haven't tested seating depth. Use a powder charge about 1-1/2% below max and test these seating depths. .130" jump may or may not be possible to fit. Chances are that you'll find one that groups noticeably better. Don't load just 3 shots each. Do it right and shoot enough to give yourself real data. That way you won't be scratching your head and wondering if your test was a fluke.

OP
A
I cleaned the piss out of the gun today. Reset the stock on the action, torqued it down and checked all scope screws (none were loose there). Couldn't find Big Game anywhere. I have some rl19 so I tried it out. 46-47-48 grains. Also bought some factory hornady ammo to foul things up (and add some more hornady brass to my collection).

I think my gun just didn't like varget. 47 grains seemed to be the ticket, it was around 3/4". I'm gonna try it with magnum primers, hornady brass, different lengths etc until I can get things touching, which I think is definitely possible.

Also, I've heard you can buy the cheaper nosler BTs and use those in place of accubonds for load development. Truth?

I cleaned the piss out of the gun today. Reset the stock on the action, torqued it down and checked all scope screws (none were loose there). Couldn't find Big Game anywhere. I have some rl19 so I tried it out. 46-47-48 grains. Also bought some factory hornady ammo to foul things up (and add some more hornady brass to my collection).

I think my gun just didn't like varget. 47 grains seemed to be the ticket, it was around 3/4". I'm gonna try it with magnum primers, hornady brass, different lengths etc until I can get things touching, which I think is definitely possible.

Also, I've heard you can buy the cheaper nosler BTs and use those in place of accubonds for load development. Truth?

I'm hoping it's, "the TRUTH", too !
I'm working up loads for, my 270 WSM with, 140 Bal Tip's and plan on using 140 AB's when, I've found the "right Load" ! My sons .264 Mag shot BOTH 140 weight Bullets, in the same "Hole", to about 300 yards, so I'm trying "IT" too (CHEAP practice !).
Personally, I would not use the Mag Primer until, using about, 55- 60 grains of powder, tho JMVHO ! ( Mag Primer's are, THICKER and don't "show", Pressures as well, in Standard Cal's ).
It sounds like you've found, a "good" load already with, the AB's and RL-19 ! CONGRAT'S !

Ashy,.
If, you ever want to try, the New Hornady ELD-X, 162 grain, HIGH BC, bullet in the 7mm08, my son used 44.2 Grains of, RL-17 to reach 2,700 FPS in his, 22.3" Tikka, T3X SuperLite, using the .30-06 Magazine and longer Bolt Stop at .020/ .025 OFF, the Lands for a, sub MOA, group !
That is a MAX load, tho !,.. so "work up" to that,.. CAREFULLY ! The 162 will hit harder at, longer range than, a .308 !