Kimber MA in .280AI

RoJo

WKR
So I am considering going with this rifle for backpack hunts. Any of you Rocksliders have experience with this rifle in this caliber? Thoughts or opinions? Any favorite loads that it likes?

Thanks!

N2TRKYS

WKR
That would be a great setup if you like Kimbers. I have the ballistic twin to the 280AI(7 SAUM) and love it. I've used 160 grain Accubonds and Partitions with great results.

AXEL

WKR
I bought one in May, 2015, five boxes of Nosler brass, some boxes of 160 NPs and loaded Magpro and RE-26. I get 3000 fps-mv, chrono'd with the RE-26, good groups and no pressure signs, although I do not use those but rely on tested data.

I do not care for the Talley 1-piece mounts and went with Talley QD bases, silver 1" rings, 2 pairs and two Leupy VX3 3.5x10x40 silver scopes. I find this rig to be among the nicest of the 150ish big game rifles I have owned since 1964 and tend to use it on every trip. If, I were younger, I would buy another just the same, same accessories and will get a Ti bolt handle for mine soon.

A pair of these is as close to "perfect" for BC-AB-Territories hunting, IME-IMO, as one can ask for and they are NOT too pricey all things considered.

I strongly recommend this combo for the handloading hunter after mountain game.

texag10

WKR
I'd love to know about this combo (or the montana) as well. 280AI seems like a great cartidge that's enough for anything I see hunting without being overly harsh on recoil. How is the mag length on long action kimbers? I'd love to be able to load 168 berger VLDs and seat them out a ways to take max advantage of the cartridge. I've heard they are short but haven't seen measurements.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I don't have a 280AI or a Kimber, but do have its ballistic twin in a rifle that I always hear has mag length limitations. I have a Remington Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM with the factory 22" barrel. It shoots 160 grain Accubonds at 2960 fps with great accuracy seated at 2.80"(less than mag length). Maybe the setup you're after won't be affected by mag length either.

OP
RoJo

RoJo

WKR
Perhaps, but I am really looking for first-hand experience with the specific rifle and chambering.

Thanks anyway...

N2TRKYS

WKR
Perhaps, but I am really looking for first-hand experience with the specific rifle and chambering.

Thanks anyway...

All I'm saying is that I know several folks that have that setup and haven't had any of the issues that you read on the internet.

And, Accubonds are about $17 right now at Midway. So, buy your rifle, work up some loads and post pics of your kills.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
RoJo

RoJo

WKR
I ended up going with a Kimber Subalpine (.280 AI). I'm picking it up tomorrow. Topping it with a Leupold VX-2 3-9x33 to keep it light, at least for starters. I will see how that combo works. I may or may not pick up a muzzle brake, since the barrel is threaded...

texag10

WKR
Sounds like a sweet setup, I'd love to hear how it works out for you. Copper creek makes ammo that is competitively priced with nosler and the new hornady precision hunter load. I found an older thread on here where a guy with a .280 AI mountain ascent posted some load and COALs. Definitely not going to be seating a berger out by the lands it seems. He was loading 160gr accubonds and looked to find a pretty stellar combo even with a big jump.

OP
RoJo

RoJo

WKR
Thanks for the info. I found some info in a few older threads, and I will keep digging. I am partial to Barnes bullets, but I have found that they do like being pretty close to that .05 jump that Barnes suggests. I will be interested to see how close I can get to that.

Stid2677

WKR
I own a couple MAs, including a280AI. Most Bullets that shoot best seated close to the lands will have a secondary accuracy node seated deeper. Google Berger’s seating info, they break it down. I had to seat deeper with both my 280AI and my 06, mainly because if I ejected an unfired round, the tip would get damaged as they ejected. Last I checked Barnes recommended .050, which is darn close to seating them just until the last groove disappears inside the case. On my phone today, have some data photos on my computer when I get home. 160 grain Accubonds shot well in mine.

OP
RoJo

RoJo

WKR
Thanks! Do you hunt quite a bit with your MA's still? I say "still" because I have seen some of your data photos in some older threads, like 2012 or 2013? And you said the 160 AB's "shot" well. Have you stopped hunting with those rifles? Just curious...

Anyway, I picked up the Subalpine today. Looking forward to getting it to the range.

Boreal

WKR
I’ve got that exact rifle, and love everything about it except the ugly stock. I developed a load with Hammer Bullets 150 gr. Sledge Hammers on H100V. Getting less than MOA at 100,3037 FPS with 3.8 SD and 7 ES. Took the rifle and those loads to Afognak and came back with a 5x5 bull. Only 100 yards, but excellent terminal performance. I’m planning on taking that to the Brooks in August for sheep and have no doubts about it out to 500.

And I fixed the ugly stock.
8a4ef47f4e49b0c5bd9f301a9a7a69eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h20fowler

Lil-Rokslider
And I fixed the ugly stock.
8a4ef47f4e49b0c5bd9f301a9a7a69eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, I hate the stock finish as well. The optifade on mine is already scratched off quite a bit after only 1 season of use. Any idea if the Montana stock would fit? I feel if I just hydrodip it, it will just look lie shit again and expose the yellowish base color again...

Stid2677

WKR
Thanks! Do you hunt quite a bit with your MA's still? I say "still" because I have seen some of your data photos in some older threads, like 2012 or 2013? And you said the 160 AB's "shot" well. Have you stopped hunting with those rifles? Just curious...

Anyway, I picked up the Subalpine today. Looking forward to getting it to the range.

The 280AI I have is ammo picky, it also had a weak firing pin spring that took me a while to figure out. The 06 was always a shooter and likes about any ammo I feed it. If I could only have one, I would choose the 06 anyday, but the last few seasons I have only hunted sheep myself and for backpack hunts my little Adirondack in 6.5CM is just too easy to pack and hard hitting so I have used it. I did take my MA 06 moose hunting this fall as a backup to my buddy who was bow hunting.

If yours don't feed well check the follower, all the Kimbers I have bought needed some polishing of the follower and some trimming around the blind box and feed ramp to get them feeding smooth. I would stay on the lighter side of bullets, mine would not stabilized the heavier bullets and would keyhole, indicating insufficient twist rate for the heavier bullets. This was my and I say MY experience, YMMV don't want the haters to flame me.

Steve