Which large caliber?

FlyGuy

WKR
Archery hunting is much more of a passion for me than rifle, but I've been itching to get a new rifle for a few years now. Since I've never been a rifle guy I'm looking for some advice on the caliber selection for my next purchase.

For starters - I don't reload. God knows the last thing I need is another hobby. I also don't spend a lot of time out at the range, 2-3 times a year is about average for me.

I hunt as many critters as I can. Annually, that list would include: Whitetail, pigs, Axis, Nilgai and (starting this Spring) Black Bear. Elk is usually an Archery Hunt but I have rifle hunted them in the past and I’m sure I will again in the future. Antelope and Mule deer have not yet been targets but will be in the next few years. The rest of my “Want to Hunt” list is pretty much everything else, though mostly limited by points/tag draw odds: Aoudad, Oryx, Moose, Goats, Caribou, all the sheep...

I currently have one "do it all" big game rifle - a Ruger Mark II M77 in 7mag that I've owned for 27 years. It’s stainless/composite and has an old 4x12 40mm Leupold on it. It weighs in at 8lbs complete, and it shoots very well. I have it zeroed at 330 yards with Hornady 162 gr precision hunter ammo, which gives me essentially point and shoot (+/- 5”) out to 400 yards. I am comfortable shooting at game inside of 400 yards in ideal conditions, but I don’t practice enough to shoot at anything but paper or pigs out past that. I really like this gun and I have no plans to sell it. It does everything I need it to do in a fairly lightweight package and without too much recoil. So, I’ve been stuck trying to come up a rifle that I liked any better than what I already have.

I've been contemplating this dilemma for a few years now. Then last week I had an Epiphany. Maybe instead of adding just one new rifle, what I really needed was TWO new rifles! One smaller, one larger. Once I came to that realization things started becoming a lot clearer.

For the smaller caliber, a few buddies of mine have gotten 6.5 CM and they love them. I feel like one of these is in my future as it closes the gap between centerfire and 7mag.

Now I just need to hone in on the larger caliber and that's where I am really kind of lost. I have a nilgai hunt coming up in Mid-January and I'd like to use something larger than the 7 on this hunt. I plan to shoot with a break at the range and eventually with a suppressor on hunts, so I'm not too too worried about recoil. I don't want a heavy weight rifle, but for this gun 9lbs all in seems like a good target weight. I hear a lot of talk about the 300 and I am drawn to the 300wsm. But, is it different enough from the 7? Since I’m keeping the 7, should I be looking to skip the 300 and step all the way up to the 338 win mag? 300RUM?

Jake C.

FNG
I'm in the same dilemma right now. I've always been a bow guy as well and can only afford 1 new rifle this year though! I've changed my mind about 20 different times between brands and calibers. I'm looking at Fierce Firearms, Christensen Arms and Montana Rifle Co and ill most likely go with the 300 WIN MAG. Ill be interested to see the feed back on this thread. Good Luck on figuring out what you would like! Wish I could be of more help!

AXEL

WKR
CRF STS .338WM, try to find a mate to your 7Mag and get good irons on it. I like spare mounts-scope with each of my serious rifles, prefer Leupy VX3s or Swaro Z3s, and load 225-250 CE bullets or buy ammo so loaded.

hodgeman

WKR
A I hear a lot of talk about the 300 and I am drawn to the 300wsm. But, is it different enough from the 7? Since I’m keeping the 7, should I be looking to skip the 300 and step all the way up to the 338 win mag? 300RUM?

IMHO there's not a whole lot of difference in the 7mag, the .300WM and the .300WSM...the differences are academic at best.

You can go up to the .338, but the .338 takes some getting used to and you don't mention hunting big bears and there's nothing on your list of critters that needs the .338's level of power. At one point, I had a whole slew of big cartridge guns- .375s, .338s...even a .416. Finally dumped them all because I much preferred shooting and hunting with my .300WSM a lot more.

If you want an impractical "big" gun...go with a .375 or a 45-70 for that matter...but it sounds like you enjoy your 7mag enough that you'd never use it in the field.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
CRF STS .338WM, try to find a mate to your 7Mag and get good irons on it. I like spare mounts-scope with each of my serious rifles, prefer Leupy VX3s or Swaro Z3s, and load 225-250 CE bullets or buy ammo so loaded.
Axel,

I'm not a gun guy. What does that mean?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
There isn’t much difference between the 7mm RM and 300 WM. A step up would be a .338 WM. Or man up and pick up the parent cartridge of the 7mm RM. The .375 H&H. That’s what I did. I started with a 7mm RM. Added a few 6.5 CM. And my newest caliber is the .375 H&H Mag. It shoots flat and fast enough with lighter bullets for elk. And with a heavier bullet, is suitable for everything up to Cape Buffalo. So it had my vote.

Benjblt

WKR
IMHO there's not a whole lot of difference in the 7mag, the .300WM and the .300WSM...the differences are academic at best.

You can go up to the .338, but the .338 takes some getting used to and you don't mention hunting big bears and there's nothing on your list of critters that needs the .338's level of power. At one point, I had a whole slew of big cartridge guns- .375s, .338s...even a .416. Finally dumped them all because I much preferred shooting and hunting with my .300WSM a lot more.

If you want an impractical "big" gun...go with a .375 or a 45-70 for that matter...but it sounds like you enjoy your 7mag enough that you'd never use it in the field.

I haven't shot one much but I think the .375 is more practical than you think. It has good ballistics for it's size and the kick is not unbearable.

I think you have to be careful on what make of gun in 300 wsm you get. The fat cartridge doesn't feed as well in some guns.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't shot one much but I think the .375 is more practical than you think. It has good ballistics for it's size and the kick is not unbearable.
I agree. After shooting a ton of guns, checking ammunition availablity, and studying ballistics of different calibers and bullets (a hobby of mine in itself, expecially when reloading), I landed on the .375 H&H and don’t regret it one bit. I’m not trying to talk OP into the .375 (ok,... maybe a little), but here is what I’ve found while picking a “larger than 7mm Rem Mag” caliber. My first centerfire caliber was the 7mm Rem Mag. Second was .223/5.56 in AR-15s. Third was the 6.5 CM. Then when looking at a larger than 7mm, I looked hard at .300s, .325s, and expecially the .338s. I landed on the .375, and here is a few pints as to why.

The .375 H&H with Hornady GMX 250 grain only drops 20” at 400 yards (200 yard zero). The 7mm Rem Mag Barnes 140 Grain TTSX BT drops 17” (same zero). Ballistics are very near the same with only 8” of difference at 600 yards (only 1.5 MOA of difference at this range, 11.3 vs 9.8 MOA).

The biggest difference? The 7mm has 1,674 ft-lbs energy at 400 yards. The .375 has 2,728 ft-lbs energy at the same yardage. With these two loads, the .375 is carrying the same energy at 400 yards, that the 7mm has at 160 yards. The 7mm is making 2,900 ish ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle. The .375 H&H is making that much energy at 350 yards.

If you want something bigger than a 7mm Rem Mag, the .375 H&H definitely fits the bill. Besides also the nostalgia behind the caliber, it is a very versatile round with bullet weights running from 175 all the way up to 450 grains with most factory loads being 225-350 grains. You can buy ammo anywhere in the world in this cartridge, and because it is the minimum size dangerous game caliber, you can take any game walking on earth with it.

Because pictures are cool! Here is one for fun. First is the 6.5 Creedmoor IIRC, Hornady 140 EDL. 7mm Rem Mag 150 grain Winchester BT. Then the .375 H&H 300 grain Barnes TSX. Last is the mighty .22LR for comparison.

168eyif.jpg

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
There is a differnce in 300 wsm and 300 win: 300 wsm is limited to 190 gn bullet or less in a factory chambered rifle. With the 300 win, you can run 240 smk if you desire.

Based on the initial comments: 300 win mag is a caliber that handles all game in North America; without being grossly overguned on whitetail to not enough gun on coastal brown bears.

Kotaman

WKR
I’ve killed just about everything in North America with a 300 WSM. My “light” rifle is also a 6.5 CM and I love that cal. Get yourself either a 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM and a 6.5 CM and you’re set for anything in North America.

TwoTikkas

WKR
Since you don't hand load,your 6.5 CM is a good choice. Of course the 7RM you already have. Throw in a 338 Win mag. Two tons of muzzle energy from a 24" pipe. Standard length action. Handy overall length for elk or bear in the timber. Good selection of factory fodder that's readily available. Just don't buy it in one of the ultra light rifles. Been there. Done that. Won't do it again. Full house 250s kick like two sons a bitches.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
There is a differnce in 300 wsm and 300 win: 300 wsm is limited to 190 gn bullet or less in a factory chambered rifle. With the 300 win, you can run 240 smk if you desire.

Based on the initial comments: 300 win mag is a caliber that handles all game in North America; without being grossly overguned on whitetail to not enough gun on coastal brown bears.

Yet I wouldn’t feel undergunned on coastal bear hunt with a 308, 30-06, 300 wsm, 300 WM, or 300 RUM ;)

I agree. After shooting a ton of guns, checking ammunition availablity, and studying ballistics of different calibers and bullets (a hobby of mine in itself, expecially when reloading), I landed on the .375 H&H and don’t regret it one bit. I’m not trying to talk OP into the .375 (ok,... maybe a little), but here is what I’ve found while picking a “larger than 7mm Rem Mag” caliber. My first centerfire caliber was the 7mm Rem Mag. Second was .223/5.56 in AR-15s. Third was the 6.5 CM. Then when looking at a larger than 7mm, I looked hard at .300s, .325s, and expecially the .338s. I landed on the .375, and here is a few pints as to why.

The .375 H&H with Hornady GMX 250 grain only drops 20” at 400 yards (200 yard zero). The 7mm Rem Mag Barnes 140 Grain TTSX BT drops 17” (same zero). Ballistics are very near the same with only 8” of difference at 600 yards (only 1.5 MOA of difference at this range, 11.3 vs 9.8 MOA).

The biggest difference? The 7mm has 1,674 ft-lbs energy at 400 yards. The .375 has 2,728 ft-lbs energy at the same yardage. With these two loads, the .375 is carrying the same energy at 400 yards, that the 7mm has at 160 yards. The 7mm is making 2,900 ish ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle. The .375 H&H is making that much energy at 350 yards.

If you want something bigger than a 7mm Rem Mag, the .375 H&H definitely fits the bill. Besides also the nostalgia behind the caliber, it is a very versatile round with bullet weights running from 175 all the way up to 450 grains with most factory loads being 225-350 grains. You can buy ammo anywhere in the world in this cartridge, and because it is the minimum size dangerous game caliber, you can take any game walking on earth with it.

Because pictures are cool! Here is one for fun. First is the 6.5 Creedmoor IIRC, Hornady 140 EDL. 7mm Rem Mag 150 grain Winchester BT. Then the .375 H&H 300 grain Barnes TSX. Last is the mighty .22LR for comparison.

168eyif.jpg

Can’t argue with this, simply based on the fact that I’ve killed more game with my .375 H&H mag than any other single rifle I own, so I guess it holds a special place in my safe. Also the fact that it’s a mod. 70 (my favorite all time rifle), and everything, and I mean everything, that anyone has pulled the trigger on with this rifle has died with one shot. 3 moose, 6 caribou, and 2 brown bears. Now that I’m thinking about it, it’s been almost 10 years since I’ve hunted with this rifle.....probably time to get her back out into the field. Oh, I like posting pictures too.
29b844daf326c0e979d30b02c607b14d.jpg

4d4aa239910cb4e8846c3807ac1cf5d3.jpg

973e288e2defe86853fa5cb77f1395b6.jpg

f8716ea9c9c8238aa1e7011757a304fa.jpg

7a5d405c6d5a347df81ef3a379be2333.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
I'd get a lighter rifle, something like a 25-06 or 7mm-08 as I don't get all crazy about the CM then instead of a heavier rifle since you already have a 7mm which is big enough for what you want I would spend the money on upgrading the scope on the existing 7mm.

hodgeman

WKR
I haven't shot one much but I think the .375 is more practical than you think. It has good ballistics for it's size and the kick is not unbearable..

Well...I've shot one a LOT. The rub with N.American hunting is there's nothing that really requires the .375's level of power living here. Bison, muskox, big brown bears and that's about it and even then...lots of folks kills those reliably with smaller cartridges.

I will admit the .375 kills lighter game with authority...but it's heavier to carry, much more costly to shoot, and in a lighter rifle will beat you like you owe it money. I could easily do all my hunting with one, but I'm happy I don't have to. Even in Alaska, I know way more folks packing 7mags and 300s than toting a .375.

Unless a guy is going to Africa (and even then) the .375 is more nostalgia and "gee whiz" than practical.

.300 win mag gets my nod. If you didn't have the 7MM already I'd say .30-06 as others have stated. I recently sold my .338 win mag and opted for a .300 win mag as my "large" caliber in my safe. I have been in some of the darkest places of the earth chasing wild things and I guarantee you I can find .300 win mag ammo when and if mine gets lost or stolen. The .375 H&H would be next on my list. Personally, I love the .338 Win Mag but as another fellow Texan...you don't need it. I have killed several Nilgai with both the .338 and .300 and don't miss the recoil of the .338 at all...

My decision finally rested on this simple fact....I can shoot ANYTHING in the world with the .300 win mag except the big and nasties. If and I ever get the opportunity to shoot any of the big 5 or a big brown bear i'll buy a new gun in .375 H&H at that time.

If you ever want to talk guns i'm down the road in Brenham :)

WKR
I'd keep it simple. The 7mm remington will do anything you want done. You don't shoot much and you are very used to your current setup. Buy some of these, Barnes VOR-TX Ammo 7mm Remington Mag 150 Grain Tipped - MPN: 21563

And use them on anything heavier you may hunt. Way better to use a rifle you know and are comfortable with than adding more rifles to learn. Good luck either way. And though you didn't ask, I'd go with a 6x fixed scope to keep it even easier.