Which large caliber?

KJH

WKR
I'm a big fan of both the 300 RUM and the 375 H&H. There is nothing wrong with big rifles, but they aren't for everyone. I think everyone should have a few...

The 300 RUM is a favorite long range gun for me. I can shoot it comfortably for 40-50 rounds per day. It will kill anything in North America and the factory loads you can get are good. Its a great long range powerhouse.

I don't believe the 375 H&H is impractical. You can shoot factory 375 H&H rounds with 235 grain bullets at 3100fps and have them be stupid accurate at 400 yards. That kills everything from deer to moose in almost all hunting situations. Not to mention it's kind of nostalgic and has a classic aura about it.

Of course, just about everything else mentioned here is just as good to the right person and their likes. Find something you like and enjoy it.

LaGriz

WKR
FlyGuy,
For the bigger rifle how about a 9.3X62, 338-06, .35 Whelan, .325WSM, a Ruger 338 short mag. These could all be had in a pleasant to carry configuration. May provide you with the alternative (and punch) you may be looking for out too say 350 yards or less. Beyond that point you may be hard pressed to best the performance of your 7 mag.
My .280 Rem was once my only rifle. I now own 5 and have learned that the .280 was/is a true all-around choice for North America. If I had to shuck a few weapons for what ever reason, it would be a tough decision on which ones should go. Hope it never happens.

LaGriz

Eddy C

FNG
CRF STS .338WM, try to find a mate to your 7Mag and get good irons on it. I like spare mounts-scope with each of my serious rifles, prefer Leupy VX3s or Swaro Z3s, and load 225-250 CE bullets or buy ammo so loaded.

I'm impressed with that Dewey!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Right now a 375HH is the only magnum I have (I have 2 of them). I really like it and I dont feel its excessive for general hunting. I've shot an elk with a 235g from my 375 but thats it, this summer when I'm floating more, Ill bring them along and get more use out of them.

If you don't reload, then 300 Win Mag is the answer. There are tons of factory cartridges out there. You will be able to find one that works well in your gun. The 338 calibers have more limited and more expensive ammunition.

If you were a reloader, I'd tell you to go with a 300 Norma magnum of 338 Norma magnum if you really wanted to shoot extra long range. But, for a non-reloader, 300WM is best.

Sounds like youre in a good place. That 7mm is well known by you and you honestly need nothing else. But since this is a big bore rifle for the sake of big bore ownership, id throw the 375 Ruger into the ring. I handload and dont spare the powder so the performance i get outta this little devil is amazing. Not sure what factory offerings are available but im sure they are more than adequate. Mine is the green laminate stocked ruger alaskan guide gun and the included brake works great. It rolls you with the big loads but is not at all painful. Just another option to consider, enjoy the hunt.

LightFoot

WKR
I agree with the 375 H&H recomendations. A 300 is not much more than the 7mm you already have. Factory loaded 375 ammo is widely available and can be used for anything from elk to dangerous game. Recoil is manageable.

I imagine that the 375 Ruger is equal in many respects since it has quite a following.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

gelton

WKR
My dad has a .375 H&H and nothing on the range makes the sound or has the impact on steel that the .375 does. Its noticeable enough that people will stop and watch.

cooperjd

WKR
i sold my 375HH and wish i had it back. my go to rifle is my 7mmRM. I have a few in the arsenal, most recently adding a 6.5CM barrel for the t/c dimension. my big gun right now is a 338 RUM. but i still miss having a "big gun" in the safe. I will eventually get another 375HH or maybe something that starts with a 4. i did not think my 375 kicked all that bad. the 338 RUM is worse on the shoulder, and i only shot 300gr bullets out of the HH. if you already have a 7RM, i do not see enough difference in a 300WM to get one. i'd go for 338win or 375HH as others have said.

PNWGATOR

WKR
“Buy a Tikka .223 and top it with a SWFA 6x and buy a couple cases of Black Hills ammo and learn to shoot.”

It’s the advice I’ve been given and the path I’m on.

Recommend starting there and not be in a hurry to make a bad decision.

Shraggs

WKR
Since you own a worthy bigger gun capable of big game at long distances I would also look to not overlap with calibers a little more or less potent.

I do like mid bores as mentioned above - they flatten things. The 35 whelen of course, but a departure could be a 338 federal. In a light weight bolt gun or a 358 Winchester in a browning lever. Either will give you 300 yards (338 a bit further) of big game killing in light weight rigs with recoil that is not offensive.

On the low end what about a 6mm Remington in a 26" Barrel. Use it for what designed smaller deer and vermin with no recoil and loaded right 500+ yards of fun.

John

MTSabo

WKR
Another for the 375 Ruger guide gun. Very much enjoy mine. Got it full length glass bedded, now point of impact dosent change much between different loads.

Look at a 375 Ruger Guide Gun. I replaced my Montana X2 375 H&H with one and couldn't be happier. Lighter, more compact, less bulky, much easier to carry, stupid accurate. Much higher velocities across the chronograph, great for DG if you go to Africa, with 235gr or 250gr bullets it
would make a dandy elk rig if you do not have way long shots to make, very minimal meat damage on small critters like deer. The muzzle brake makes it a pussycat to shoot and is not obnoxious at all (still loud). If yer gonna go big, go big:cool: