Cost of cutting and crowning a barrel

I'm just curious. I've never had this done. How much does your gunsmith cost to cut your barrel and Crown it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Curvebow

Lil-Rokslider
Ive never had a gunsmith do it. But, I bought a crowning tool and pilot for doing a 30-06. I cut the barrel from 22” to 18.5”. I bought the tools from Brownells along with a tool for chamfering the outsider of the barrel to get rid of the sharp edge. It came out fine!

I first put a plug of parches in the barrel to keep junk out of the action area and taps the barrel where I was going to cut it. I sawed it off with a hacksaw. I put cutting oil on the crowning tool and end of barrel, used my cordless Milwaukee and slowly went to it. Chamfered the outside doe, then used cold bluing for protection when I as done. I think I spent $160 on the tools, but that was about 6years ago.

The crowning tool can be used on other barrels, you just need a calibe specific pilot for it to keep it centered. Good lick!

Schism

WKR
My gunsmith has been changing me $80 to cut, thread, and crown my barrels for suppressor use. I’ve never asked him for a price on just a cut and crown.

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
should be cheap... you can buy everything from Brownells to do it yourself for not much more $$$ especially if you have lots of rifles in similar calibers (30cal bore pilot will let you do anything from 30 Carbine to 300RUM)

atmat

WKR
Just bringing this thread back to life. What is everyone paying nowadays for a cut and thread?

I can’t find anyone local to me (Dallas, TX) charging under $150

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
$100 was what I was quoted a few years back. I did it in my garage for less than $15.

atmat

WKR
I'm a dummy. I read that as cut and crown instead of cut and thread. Yeah i'm not threading it myself haha.
In fairness that’s the title of the thread. I tried to revive an old thread instead of posting new.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Including threading?
No, threading would be an additional 80 if I remember correctly (180 to cut, crown, and thread; threading alone was 100). I do not have the balls or equipment to attempt threading myself.

Raider4044

Lil-Rokslider
Just bringing this thread back to life. What is everyone paying nowadays for a cut and thread?

I can’t find anyone local to me (Dallas, TX) charging under $150

$150 is pretty reasonable. I would send it to Morgan at Class 3 Machine. He’s in the DFW area, but you have to ship it to him, no drop offs. Not sure what he charges to cut, but last I checked he charges $75 for a thread job. He’s about as cheap as it gets and does excellent work.