Sidearm for grizz

gabenzeke

WKR
What model of handgun, in a caliber suitable as a sidearm for grizzlies, is the lightest weight? Originally, I thought a .454 would be the minimum, but are most guys packing a 44? I prefer a revolver.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Axlrod

WKR
Google your question there are many threads on the subject.
S&W 329 is what I pack and bear spray. Just remember a 44 mag has less power than a 30/30

luke moffat

Super Moderator
If rifle hunting I don't bother with a handgun ever.

If backpacking during the summer and not actively hunting bears I used to carry a 44 mag. Lots of guys I know carry glock G20 in 10mm. I am just gonna carry my rifle in the future though. More accurate with it than my handguns and its not much more weight than most handguns anyways.

FlyGuy

WKR
I've been researching this myself for a few weeks. Nothing is going to be light, but the 10mm Glock will be by far the lightest option.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
If rifle hunting I don't bother with a handgun ever.

If backpacking during the summer and not actively hunting bears I used to carry a 44 mag. Lots of guys I know carry glock G20 in 10mm. I am just gonna carry my rifle in the future though. More accurate with it than my handguns and its not much more weight than most handguns anyways.

This little guy...er, hammer? :D

88KIGVq8AfxvM6Wh-mD1CBgteBsQ02ua8THeH6lQiMpoYUgbbMB7E0A48H-Yk3LOuMSGFMmXNfBkr0ZcxXhsrlXr5Dhf0v2RVuxyMOWpuH6QJC2TxpPHbPLp2FRLwp4G4nVD-wTaLF5WToIm-SKaXwUTCVYs8r6N-zP1u_70LkgrMY6o7A5FtjIFbKtBdSnsavD3iVQLyKJFx1kEsMNvE24JTlZ0Ak0jZesNN9ly8C1wDFGUbQctQzAldBKUD42KuYHVLx5qkGobAH3M8kpaLfn-Rw6SZclLXVgGSiXZvh7UZtX8XzctGXymuF30cY7WyGc8Aqib_pWJaFpFowIe1Ip4EnrwGpbNSu1zYJhOICkuSLlQbL6P-V4J_3HPZAh73hBPT8-pNQQdxD9CIpQvhtQRi3xuGdKr4YTP9En9VmjcS-iuCaev9yldv2Q36q_eXwYmHUI7LQ7nvy-I0qqenJpsNllt260SlLrO5GAEGuwLKBgeBdW5b9EnnC30ds58SUAcs7IxREybYYPxAcH1_3BrIrdLpdNEhgmPtc5axe3vg9V1S2xODozhRWwVJ7MaA9siAF82qTxCde16V9eTlaDKKcpxwemhPeLH9O-8G5RE2YvlUEecRJnEsm-_eQn0KzAANUG9SZcAG_zryXZzSyEqw80z4RLpdz1P=w577-h769-no

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Should have mentioned long gums are put since it'd be used for archery hunting. The ruger in 454 may just be the gun if nobody else has any revolver suggestions. I've shot one before and it's pretty easy to get on target for a couple rounds

jvonbank

Lil-Rokslider
Another thing that is nice about my 454 is you can practice with 45 Colts which are easier on both your hand and pocketbook!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

howl

WKR
Supposedly the data from actual encounters shows bear spray to be effective for brown bears. Odds are on spray or a rifle if you're considering things that actually go on. If I were expecting to actually run into a grizzly, then I'd want a rifle or at least shotgun. That means .338 or .375. Handguns aren't anywhere near that.

Now on what was asked, the answer is as much gun as you can run. I top out at .44 mag if I want to get a second shot in with any kind of speed. A hard bullet on target is what you want. Go down in power if you need to so you can run the gun well. Most people don't shoot enough for a handgun to be anything other than a security blanket.

AXEL

WKR
With the exception of the true EXPERTS, packing a handgun in Grizzly country, is mostly a waste of energy and is more of a sop to one's imagined fears than a realistic tool for protection.

I also do not trust spray and my choice is and has been for 50+ years, IF, I think I NEED protection from Grizzlies, a short tubed, big bored CRF rifle which I load with CE bullets, NPts, are my favourites and PRACTICE.

Most of the working bush pros I have known since my first encounter with a Grizzly in April, 1956, who did carry .44Mags. etc, actually stopped doing so and gave up their often custom 45-70s, as well, in favour of .30-06s, .338WMs, and 9.3x62s. I prefer the latter and never use my last .375H&H "old" Mod. 70, custom carbine as I prefer to keep the "muscle memory" of using all "standard length" cartridges in this application.

I packed a Redhawk, 5.5" in my last couple seasons, alone for months in Grizzly country and had it for 20 years, good handloads, but, it takes SO much practice time and is so heavy that I gave it up and sold it. YMMV, but I spent a LOT of time alone in some of BC's most remote wilderness, had very close encounters and this is the choice I came to after that.

Actually, as always, young as he is, (from my perspective, creak, groan ;) ) I find Luke Moffat's opinions on such matters to be "spot on".

Fjelljeger

Lil-Rokslider
Any weapon or spray that you choose is only usable if it is carried on you all the time. Having it sitting on your pack or in a tent as you walk around camp negates its effectiveness in a hurry. With that said, everyone that has mentioned the need to practice extensively with a handgun in order to make that weapon system effective is speaking the truth. That means repetition, repetition, repetition. Drawing and firing under a timer and under stress. It takes thousands of rounds to build that muscle memory.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
I have ZERO experience with griz. That said, I carry for 2 legged critters in the field and have ran a gloc 23, S&W 629, and 1911,but these days its Ruger LCR in 357 with lazer grips. Its the lightest thing I got , and I can shoot in the dark. Saved the llamas from wolves this year at 2 am.

WKR
I have ZERO experience with griz. That said, I carry for 2 legged critters in the field and have ran a gloc 23, S&W 629, and 1911,but these days its Ruger LCR in 357 with lazer grips. Its the lightest thing I got , and I can shoot in the dark. Saved the llamas from wolves this year at 2 am.
Real interested in this story. I stress about my boys and wolves. Alot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Any weapon or spray that you choose is only usable if it is carried on you all the time. Having it sitting on your pack or in a tent as you walk around camp negates its effectiveness in a hurry. With that said, everyone that has mentioned the need to practice extensively with a handgun in order to make that weapon system effective is speaking the truth. That means repetition, repetition, repetition. Drawing and firing under a timer and under stress. It takes thousands of rounds to build that muscle memory.

I agree with this 100%. I don’t shoot handgun nor have the interest to practice enough to become proficient with one to save myself from a grizz at charging distance. Fact is much of the time I do a lot of my backpacking without any weapon at all. Once I realized this I figured the chances of me seeing a grizz I might want to pursue FAR outweighed my rare need to actually defend myself from a grizz (have only been bluff charged twice in my life). As such a rifle that doubled as a more accurate way to defend myself and ability to actively hunt a grizzly than worrying about becoming profient and spending hours and thousands of rounds for something that likely never will happen made the rifle option much more attractive to me.

Chances are I will never need to defend myself but chances are far greater I will see a grizz i will want to take in units that are open year round so I pack accordingly. I personally feel folks over think the bear charge thing a whole lot. :)

Beendare

WKR
What model of handgun, in a caliber suitable as a sidearm for grizzlies, is the lightest weight? Originally, I thought a .454 would be the minimum, but are most guys packing a 44? I prefer a revolver.

Lightest grizzlies gun with your criteria; SW 329PD Scandium frame .44 mag revolver weighing in at 25 oz. Next would be something like a G20 or G21 [with hardcasts loads of course]...or better yet an H&K....right about that same weight.

That 329PD takes some getting used to shooting wise...its got a lot more recoil than my 629 classic with the same cartridges. Whats noticeable is how you can shoot a box of cartridges with the 629....but after a couple cylinders you start to feel the effects of that LW scandium frame 329PD pretty quickly.

I wouldn't hesitate getting a Glock or H&K to shoot heavy hardcast 10mm or .45 super. I think those hard cast bullets will be a game changer but we just don't have a lot of data points yet to prove it. The H&K USP and USP compacts can handle those hard cast bear loads stock but all of the guys I know with the Glock 10mm's have tweaked them a little to function better with the heavy hard cast.

It comes down to what

there was an article on Buffalo Bore's site a while a go about an Alaskan guide who shot a charging grizzly at close range with a M&P 9mm with Buffalo Bore outdoorsman +P 9mm hard cast

luke moffat

Super Moderator
there was an article on Buffalo Bore's site a while a go about an Alaskan guide who shot a charging grizzly at close range with a M&P 9mm with Buffalo Bore outdoorsman +P 9mm hard cast

Yes indeed!!! Phil Shoemaker a guy that sees more brown bear die in a year than most of us would in a lifetime. So I guess 9mm handgun is the cartridge of choice ;)

AXEL

WKR
Good point, bud, I often chuckle about some of the claims by those who make $$$$$$ by commenting on what a VERY FEW do, while ignoring the real abilities-experience levels of most.

Elmer Keith, a renowned pistolero, called by Ralph Young, a major Alaskan bear guide, "The best field shot I have ever seen", stated more than once that he always preferred and used a carbine in a major caliber, for bear protection, over a handgun. Some of the guys I learned from were of his age, knew him well and were highly experienced bushmen and agreed.

I had an intensive, week-long combat revolver course from a trainer here who trained the LEOs and COs of BC and could carry on the job. My decisions on this were exactly the same as yours posted above and for the same reasons. I seldom carry any gun when hiking=fishing and will do so only if packing out meat for a friend, or, taking my wife or female friend into the bush.

I wish that folks would put the energy into learning bear behaviour and carrying Freon horns that they do fretting about bear guns on the 'net. I suspect this would actually reduce attacks in many areas.