Sidearm for grizz

Someone really needs to just design a simulated bear defense challenge. A repeatable test to see some real, useful, comparable information. Have a lot of shooters to each use all kinds of firearms and see, after going through it, which methods the shooters preferred. And still, it would be only a cross-section of a real defensive situation. I just think it would make for an entertaining tv show ;)

Anyways, I'm glad I took the time to read Stephen Herrero's book.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I really think 99.9% of people underestimate how fast and powerful a big pissed bear will be...I’m sure here that number is much lower.

This clip of Fred Eichler being charged is a good example. He and his guide were ready and waiting and didn’t have time!

Bear Attack Easton Bowhunting TV - YouTube

Both Remington and Mossberg recently came out with very specifically made to be completly legal “duck bill” gripped shotguns with 14” barrels in 12 gauge. I was very interested initially but man they weigh a ton.

colonel00

WKR
I really think 99.9% of people underestimate how fast and powerful a big pissed bear will be...I’m sure here that number is much lower.

This clip of Fred Eichler being charged is a good example. He and his guide were ready and waiting and didn’t have time!

Both Remington and Mossberg recently came out with very specifically made to be completly legal “duck bill” gripped shotguns with 14” barrels in 12 gauge. I was very interested initially but man they weigh a ton.

I started this thread mostly in jest. I have a TAC-14 and a buddy has the Shockwave. They are quite easy to shoot and a ton of fun. I'm finishing a video showing us shooting clay pigeons. That said, while you can hit a clay with target load, I don't think I would rely on one of these as a defense weapon. I've shot low power slugs and buckshot out of them. It's doable but accuracy suffers greatly. Plus, you risk injuring yourself if you get it too close to your face trying to aim while shooting a higher power round.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/gene...652-picked-remington-tac-14-bear-defense.html

Blandry

WKR
They move fast and from the stories I've heard in rough ground can appear out of nowhere. Best to practice for these encounters. The bad outcomes you hear from people who carry spray but don't know how to use it or a carry sidearm they have never fired in an intense situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramont

Lil-Rokslider

I agree, I've read research that says that most bear attacks give you about 3 -5 seconds to react before that bear is on you. That's why I finally realized that using a semi-auto pistol doesn't give you any advantage whatever over a single action wheel gun. So what's more important is just how much killing power can you put on the bear in a couple of seconds. It's also why you have to be careful about where that barrel is pointed, you wont have much of a chance to move it in to position when you are under attack and the longer the barrel the longer it will take to get it on target, not to mention that it also becomes a long lever that the bear can use to jerk that weapon out of your hands with.

The bad outcomes you hear from people who carry spray but don't know how to use it or a carry sidearm they have never fired in an intense situation.
The only issues I have with this statement are, 1. using a can of bear spray is not exactly rocket science, so I can’t imagine that it’s that difficult to figure out and, 2. how many people have the opportunity (or I should say really bad luck), to practice using a side arm in an “intense situation”. And by intense, I’m correlating that with the possibility of losing your life if you screw up. Hell, I bet close to 99% of our police force have not been in that intense of a situation. Don’t get me wrong, I do believe that practicing A LOT makes a big difference, but it’s not everything, and a person really never knows exactly how they’re going to respond in an intense situation until they’re put in that situation. Just sayin’.

I’ve seen this video before and I really have a hard time believing that this guy fired a warning shot at a charging brown bear when it was within 8’ of climbing into their boat. I think that in reality, he completely missed an attempt to shoot/kill the bear, or actually did in fact hit it (its impossible to tell from the video). Either way, the bear turned off the charge, so mission accomplished.

prconnection

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen this video before and I really have a hard time believing that this guy fired a warning shot at a charging brown bear when it was within 8’ of climbing into their boat. I think that in reality, he completely missed an attempt to shoot/kill the bear, or actually did in fact hit it (its impossible to tell from the video). Either way, the bear turned off the charge, so mission accomplished.

I was thinking the same thing when they said"he fire a warning shot". He was shitting his pants and his revelover when off. Where the bullet landed who knows but at the speed that bear was coming in there would not have been time for a follow up shot that's for sure

Snyd

WKR

yup. it's pretty obvious he reacted and missed. But, "fired a warning shot" makes it politically correct for tv and makes him/them sound like "experts". "He missed" would make him look not so much like an expert and like they would "actually kill mama grizzly bear with babies!!".....GASP!!!!!....bloodthirsty hunters...murderers. Remember, America thinks grizzlies are an endangered species everywhere.

But either way, yup he stopped the threat so mission accomplished. I always figured and hope that if that happens to me and that when I miss that first shot the muzzle blast will turn the beast.