Shotgun

Jackalope

FNG
My vote is for the mossberg 835. Basically a beefier 500. Aluminum receiver saves a little weight, safety is ergonomic and ambidextrous, user replaceable ejector (870 is riveted), gloves don’t get pinched while you load it as the shell elevator stays out of the way, lots of barrel options as it shares the mag tube with the 590a1. You can run the bird barrel and stock tube cap in the field and swap to a cylinder bore barrel and choate extension for bedside duty in under a minute.

howl

WKR
What is so good about the Barreta A300 that I should seek it out if you dont mind me asking?

It is a proven design that will cycle both very light and heavy loads. It kicks less and shoots more smoothly. There is no worry about making sure the bolt is seated so you don't click instead of boom. It uses easy to find chokes. The synthetic model stock adjusts for length in addition to drop and cast like the wood. To get equivalent build quality in a recoil gun you're at the level of the Franchi Affinity. The Affinity is nice, but its not as smooth and it'll click on you.

More to the point, when shopping shotguns you have to handle them and see what suits you. For example, I personally favor Berettas and Winchesters. The Franchis fit me real well, but I just don't like they way they feel and shoot. If one of those other guns fits and feels better, I'd go that way. There's no point in owning a shotgun that doesn't shoot where you look and feel good doing it.

Eddy C

FNG
I have owned many shotguns from my first singleshot Cooey 20, through some pricey doubles, British, AYA sidelock 20 and Brownning BSS sidelock 20, to several 870s and Mod. 12 and 42.

My using favourites, even with three highend German and Browning combo guns on hand, are my Benelli Nova and Super Nova 12 pumps. Lighter, tougher and more reliable than ANY others I have used and "backpacking" shotties par excellence.

Perhaps, the most uglee shotguns ever, but, they work like nothing else. Best guns for using Brenneke slugs on Grizzlies, if that is a concern.

Can't go wrong with that great advice Dewey!

A point nobody has brought up: a break action gun can easily be taken down - often without a tool- and thrown in your pack as long as your pack has enough depth to accommodate the barrel length. I carry a gun sock with me and drop the barrel and forestock as an assembly into the sock, then give it a couple of twists and drop the rear stock into the sock. The twist keeps the pieces from banging together. Then fold the sock in half at the twist and slide it in your pack. Even if the barrel sticks out a little bit, it's better than having the whole length in my opinion.
If you're hiking long distances to or from a hunting spot and don't want a gun in your hands the whole time or hanging from a gunbearer, this can be a useful consideration.

frankrb3

WKR
First shotgun, go with a Remington 870. They're great pump action shotguns and now they even make them with a removable magazine.