Rifle choice under $1000

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I won't say what is best but I will say what has worked great for me. The Tikka T3 in stainless is pretty hard to beat. Picked up one for my wife this year in 270 and added a swagger bipod. The rifle shoots great with cheap store bought ammo but was shooting sub MOA (on a lead sled) at 100 when I was sighting it in with some handloads I worked up. Now I have to buy a second one for me because I can't always "borrow" my wife's rifle.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
I would take a hard look at 300 WM. Plenty of ammo available, and with a muzzle break is a kitty cat to shoot. My wife shoots her 300 WM all day, and crushs steel and game out to 1K.

5'2" 125#, and a lady: just saying

I’d recommend a Tikka. I think it’s the best factory action on the market and even worthy of building a semi-custom rifle on. As howl pointed out, you can come in under budget and put the savings towards a glass upgrade. Too many guys shoot the wad on their rifle and then neglect the glass. My rule is, generally: spend 1.5x-2x the price of the rifle on the glass, for factory rifles. I like how Savages shoot out of the box but they aren’t consistent enough. 2 will be terrific and 1 will be like a new Remington. I’ve yet to shoot or hear of a non-shooting Tikka. Also, the aftermarket support for Tikka is growing very quickly and there’s already quite a bit of stocks for it. The cool thing about the Tikka is that, aside from a stock replacement that fits your personal tastes, there’s really not much people are seeking to “upgrade” on the Tikka. As opposed to the R700 that requires all sorts of upgrades to shoot like a Tikka. Lol!

I favor the Tikka CTR because I shoot suppressed or with a muzzle brake and the CTR comes threaded. Besides, the heavier but shorter barrels balance well and allow me to shoot strings with my .260 in off-hunting season comps. Oh yeah, the detachable magazines feed flawlessly and I LOVE them! Actually prefer them to my AICS style magazines on my custom rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crotalus

Lil-Rokslider
Went through a similar search last year and ended up with a Browning X-Bolt Western Hunter. I’m very pleased with the decision. It’s lightweight, easy to carry and shoot.one thing I really like is the ability to open the bolt without disengauging the safety. I was looking for a 300wsm though, with the muzzle brake it has less recoil than my Rem 700mtn in 30.06 that is substantially heavier.

I’d recommend a Tikka. I think it’s the best factory action on the market and even worthy of building a semi-custom rifle on. As howl pointed out, you can come in under budget and put the savings towards a glass upgrade. Too many guys shoot the wad on their rifle and then neglect the glass. My rule is, generally: spend 1.5x-2x the price of the rifle on the glass, for factory rifles. I like how Savages shoot out of the box but they aren’t consistent enough. 2 will be terrific and 1 will be like a new Remington. I’ve yet to shoot or hear of a non-shooting Tikka. Also, the aftermarket support for Tikka is growing very quickly and there’s already quite a bit of stocks for it. The cool thing about the Tikka is that, aside from a stock replacement that fits your personal tastes, there’s really not much people are seeking to “upgrade” on the Tikka. As opposed to the R700 that requires all sorts of upgrades to shoot like a Tikka. Lol!

I favor the Tikka CTR because I shoot suppressed or with a muzzle brake and the CTR comes threaded. Besides, the heavier but shorter barrels balance well and allow me to shoot strings with my .260 in off-hunting season comps. Oh yeah, the detachable magazines feed flawlessly and I LOVE them! Actually prefer them to my AICS style magazines on my custom rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGREED,.. My son and I are, VERY happy with, our Tikka's especially, in Stainless Steel and with, the Factory, Composite stocks, which we both have. No matter what, Caliber you choose, the Tikka is, a SUPERIOR Rifle, to MOST rifles under, a couple of Grand ! Reasons,.. here's,.. WHY ; 1) Very smooth Bolt, "travel" and NICE, 70 degree, Bolt "Lift", for good thumb "clearance" to Scope ! 2) The Best feeding action for, the WSM Fat Cartridges with, the single stack 3 round detachable Magazine ! 3) the quality of the Stainless Steel, Action and Bbl is, less likely to "Rust" than, most others ! 4) MOST shoot, easily under, 1 MOA with, a little "playing around" with, the Load ! 5) the Trigger, has an AWESOME, "crisp break" and is easily adjusted and it is, NOT necessary to replace with, an "after Market", Timney/ Jewell, etc.,! 6) the Stock is a very hard Composite that has practically, NO "Flex" to it and IMHO,.. NO need to replace it, just check the "free float" so bbl is NOT touching the forearm of, the older T3's ! As a former Gunsmith and having owned more than, a few,.. "Working Man's" Guns, like, Weatherby MK V's, Remington 700's "Customized", Win Mod 70's, Browning's, Customized Mauser 98's, etc. I can say that, the Tikka's, ARE,.. a LOT of, Rifle for UNDER, a Grand !!

Cabela's, has TIKKA T3x's, on Sale,.. at $100.00 off ! It sure would have been NICE,.. if this Rifle was,.. made in America !

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
I'm kicking this thread back up, cause I'm curious in the Ruger Hawkeye m77 in 300 win mag. Price seems to be around $700 to 800 range and I don't see alot of Rugers on the forum.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Jackalope

FNG
I’d do a howa 1500 barreled action in a bell and Carlson. Use the rest towards a nicer optic setup or ammo.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm kicking this thread back up, cause I'm curious in the Ruger Hawkeye m77 in 300 win mag. Price seems to be around $700 to 800 range and I don't see alot of Rugers on the forum.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Rugers are good guns but they aret really light weight which is a big focus on this forum.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
AGREED,.. My son and I are, VERY happy with, our Tikka's especially, in Stainless Steel and with, the Factory, Composite stocks, which we both have. No matter what, Caliber you choose, the Tikka is, a SUPERIOR Rifle, to MOST rifles under, a couple of Grand ! Reasons,.. here's,.. WHY ; 1) Very smooth Bolt, "travel" and NICE, 70 degree, Bolt "Lift", for good thumb "clearance" to Scope ! 2) The Best feeding action for, the WSM Fat Cartridges with, the single stack 3 round detachable Magazine ! 3) the quality of the Stainless Steel, Action and Bbl is, less likely to "Rust" than, most others ! 4) MOST shoot, easily under, 1 MOA with, a little "playing around" with, the Load ! 5) the Trigger, has an AWESOME, "crisp break" and is easily adjusted and it is, NOT necessary to replace with, an "after Market", Timney/ Jewell, etc.,! 6) the Stock is a very hard Composite that has practically, NO "Flex" to it and IMHO,.. NO need to replace it, just check the "free float" so bbl is NOT touching the forearm of, the older T3's ! As a former Gunsmith and having owned more than, a few,.. "Working Man's" Guns, like, Weatherby MK V's, Remington 700's "Customized", Win Mod 70's, Browning's, Customized Mauser 98's, etc. I can say that, the Tikka's, ARE,.. a LOT of, Rifle for UNDER, a Grand !!

This is a good example of how people go overboard with how nice Tikka rifles are. Yes they are nice, accurate etc but I just dont agree that they are superior to most rifles under a few grand.

@ NewMexican,.. If you have read all, the previous posts, you will note that, there are, a LOT of Hunters & shooters, liking the Tikka's, for the amount of $$$ spent on them. I might have been a bit "heavy Handed" on my choice of words, "superior to most Rifles, under a couple of grand", I'm SORRY for, my poor choice of words, there ! We are, very, happy with, how well, OUR two Rifles,.. shoot and function and the remarkably low cost for, the performance level, achieved. IMHO, the Tikka is, an AMAZING Rifle for, the $$$'s spent and obviously, not just, my opinion.
As you can see, I'm not very "PC" and sometimes, irrationally exuberant about, my pet Rifle project ! Again, SORRY for my choice of, words !

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
@ NewMexican,.. If you have read all, the previous posts, you will note that, there are, a LOT of Hunters & shooters, liking the Tikka's, for the amount of $$$ spent on them. I might have been a bit "heavy Handed" on my choice of words, "superior to most Rifles, under a couple of grand", I'm SORRY for, my poor choice of words, there ! We are, very, happy with, how well, OUR two Rifles,.. shoot and function and the remarkably low cost for, the performance level, achieved. IMHO, the Tikka is, an AMAZING Rifle for, the $$$'s spent and obviously, not just, my opinion.
As you can see, I'm not very "PC" and sometimes, irrationally exuberant about, my pet Rifle project ! Again, SORRY for my choice of, words !

I agree that for the cost, they are the best. theres nothing else out there for 700-800 dollars that competes with them, Ive had a few of them on and off over the years and /I think they certainly are great rifles, Ive just personally never really felt that they really "compete" with rifles costing 2x as much. I wasnt trying to be a smartass, I always just get a chuckle out of the Tikka love on the internet. Like I said, Ive had Tikkas, they are likely the best in their price range.

Where's the love for the Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker? I have one, and a Tikka. I like both but like the X-Bolt better. I think they are very similar rifles but what swings it for me is 1.) the 60* bolt, 2.) having the ability to open the bolt and still have the safety on and 3.) I like the stock on the X-Bolt better.

Then again, you could just get a Tikka T3 and top it with a Leupold VX3 in DNZ mount and get on with your life.
^^^^^^^^
This is exactly what I did in 7RM and Love, Love, Love it!!!

EastMT

WKR
Then again, you could just get a Tikka T3 and top it with a Leupold VX3 in DNZ mount and get on with your life.
^^^^^^^^
This is exactly what I did in 7RM and Love, Love, Love it!!!

I've had 2 tikkas, shot good, light weight, I just can't love em. I guess it's like a truck brand.

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

hodgeman

WKR
There's a lot of good choices out there in the $1000 range. Browning X-Bolts are solid lightweight performers. The Howa/Weatherby Vanguards are good choices (typically a bit heavier but excellent shooters) and the Kimber Hunter has the right sort of features.

But yeah, the Tikka T3 more or less rules that segment of the market. They seem to shoot unusually good and are popular for a reason. They aren't quite the good deal they were back when you could get one for $500 in stainless...but still a great choice. My .270 Tikka outshoots my Browning X-bolt .270...but it's not by much and I liked the X-Bolt better. The X-bolt was more expensive by $300.

6rgunner

FNG
Do the brownings stocks still have the dura coat problem? I’ve heard that after a couple years it deteriates and is horribly sticky.

What is recommended if you want to purchase one, get a wood stock or there other options?

Last edited:
Quite a few good rifles for under $1,000. I'm definitely going to be another backer for the Remington model 700. It's tried-and-true and known for being reliable and accurate. There's a reason this gun has seen every war we've been in since Vietnam