Rifle choice under $1000

huntdoc

FNG
Reading a lot of discussions has my head spinning. I'm new to all of this and want to start with a simpler approach. Pretty sure I want to go with a 308 as a do it all caliber for now. Easily available ammo, something I can handle, and covers deer and elk that I hope to pursue. Probably go with stainless barrel and synthetic stock. What is best gun out there for under $1000? Not including scope. Looking for lots of opinions, throw in factors like weight, quality of trigger, etc. What is important?

Hard to beat the tried and true performance and building capabilities of a Remington 700. On the opposite end the Ruger American seems to be by all means a solid rifle for hunting especially the American predator models and it’s really affordable allowing money to spent on great glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
What is important? It has to go bang every time in every condition. It has to hold zero. The rest is mostly ergonomic preference and fluff. Give me a used stainless Tikka T3 in a Manners stock for that price point, but there are other great options.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Budsgunshop.com has Remington Model Seven SS in 308 for $622 with free shipping. I bought this rifle in a 7-08 today. Drop in a Timney trigger for about $125, a scope of your choice(mine will wear a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40), and it will sit in Talley lightweight rings. You can replace the stock, if you want to.

JohnnyB

WKR
Tikka T3x lite. My own experience with the T3x lite stainless in 300 win mag has been great. The out of box accuracy along with the weight has been incredible. If I buy anymore rifles in my lifetime they will likely be different caliber T3x's.

Aesthetics are personal but if you value functionality at a reasonable price try a Tikka.

Bones

WKR
I think for that price range, a Tikka has to be in the conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
If you want a cheap shooter, there are deals out there on TC ventures. Mine is a 308 and it's very accurate

Tikka or XBolt IMO.

I prefer the stock fit/finish, Longer COAL mags that fit completely flush, and recoil pad (personal favorite) on the Xbolt

prefer the trigger, smoother action (x bolt is smooth as well), price, and much better aftermarket support on Tikka

Win M70 Extreme weather are darn nice too, might stretch a hair above $1k and weigh a bit more though.

frosty_1

FNG
I recently picked up a Tikka T3x Superlite for $599 from Sportsmans Warehouse. It also came with a free Burris 3-9x E1 scope...I added Talley lightweights and a sling. I'm well under $1k for a lightweight, great shooting gun.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You could get a mesa, x-bolt, m70ew, kimber hunter, weatherby back country, renamingron 700 mountain, t3x, for that price range, ice even seen kimber Montana's go for 1099.00 on gunbroker.

I would go with a Remington 700 AWR for about $1000. And then drop a $200 trigger in it. Then swap the stock and get it bedded for anthoer $700. And then run about $200 of different ammo through it trying to find something it likes. Then get pissed because you could have bought a better rifle for the money you have in the Remington and it still isn’t shooting that well. And then buy a $650 tikka and have it shoot like a friggin laser with some crap rounds you bought at Walmart. And then shun the Remington to the back of your safe and glare at it every time you open the door like it betrayed you.

Anyway, that is just my thoughts...

Yep- tons of options for your price range.
My opinion would echo most of what has been written.

Some packages already have the adj trigger, bedded stocks, floated barrels and decent action, while others require some add ons or mods.
Your $1000 is a better platform than my original budget of $500 years back.
So many companies are offering packages with the right features already built in, able to get you out to that 400-600 range with decent practice.

That way you can spend more $$ on things like scopes and bases and rings and rails, bi-pods. slings, stock patterns (dipping, wrapping, painting), breaks, magazines etc....

Its part of the journey- enjoy it

micus

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think anything touches the T3X for what you are describing at that price point.

Light, durable, very accurate, outstanding reputation / history, aftermarket support, great factory trigger, beautiful bolt operation.

A guy could do way worse for WAY more $$... ask me how I know.

Mike.

JFK

WKR
If you end up going with the Tikka remember they are built on a long action so you could go 30-06 as well. Even more available ammo choices and some marginally better ballistics.

If you are new to shooting, an ultra light 30cal rifle may not be the best choice as it will kick hard and could lead to bad habits. You might consider a rifle that weighs a bit more, get comfortable shooting it and see if the extra weight bugs you. If it does then you can always spend the balance of your $1000 budget on a nice lightweight stock to drop weight. You could also look at 270 or 7-08’s.

goodorbit

Lil-Rokslider
I have been super happy with a Steyr Pro Hunter in .308 $650 with SS barrel. They were running a package deal awhile back and picked it up with the Swaro Z3 on top. Bore sighted at the factory. It has seen enough rain, snow, bumps and all out falls, yet still remained zeroed, that I'm very confident in it.

Steyr Pro Hunter - Firearms

If you end up going with the Tikka remember they are built on a long action so you could go 30-06 as well. Even more available ammo choices and some marginally better ballistics.

If you are new to shooting, an ultra light 30cal rifle may not be the best choice as it will kick hard and could lead to bad habits. You might consider a rifle that weighs a bit more, get comfortable shooting it and see if the extra weight bugs you. If it does then you can always spend the balance of your $1000 budget on a nice lightweight stock to drop weight. You could also look at 270 or 7-08’s.

For Deer, to 700-800 yds and Elk, to 500- 600 yds, I personally like the 7mm08 with, 140-162 gr Bullets ( ELD-X, Part. or, AccuBond ) and the .270 WSM with, 140 AccuBonds or, 150 Partitions. The TIKKA T3 Stainless Lite "can" be "put together" for about, $1,000 if, a reasonable 3X9 scope bought, like a Burris E1 ! Mine cost $940.00 TOTAL,.. $620 gun Left Handed T3 stainless, Burris Zee Rings + Weaver bases $42, T3X Steel Recoil Lug 25.00, Limb Saver $30, extra Mag $35. Sling 20, Registration $20, Scope $120, Voodoo Cheek rest $15, Metal Shroud $27,.. $940.00 = SUB MOA, for 140 AccuBonds @ 3,125 FPS in .270 WSM ! I love THIS, Rifle ! My son has the 7mm08 with, 162 ELD-X's going 2,700 and that Caliber, out performs the .308 easily,.. due to better BC bullets ! But like, JFK says,..a .30 Cal., with the Heavier Slugs, WILL "Kick" in, a LIGHT Rifle ! Good luck with,.. "your choice" !

PS; There is, NO need, to replace the TIKKA Stock, IMO,.. as they are made of, a VERY Hard and STABLE, "Composite" ! Just add the Voodoo Tactical cheek rest, to get your Eye on "Scope level", adjust the Trigger if, necessary, put the steel recoil Lug in while adjusting Trig and "check" to make sure the bbl is NOT touching, the stock ("Free Floated") the last 6-8 inches ! TIKKA's,.."SHOOT" !

xcutter

WKR
I really like my Savage Bear Hunter in 300 win mag. Shoots 1/2 moa with Hornady Performance Ammo off a bench. A little heavy but I'm a big guy so no big deal. Accutrigger is great and the Accustock has a cheaper feel but performs like a high end stock. Best bang for your buck in my opinion.

I'd check out the 16/116 FCSS WEATHER WARRIOR series as well. I preferred my Bear Hunter because of the muzzle break but would of liked to had the detachable magazine like the weather warrior series.

howl

WKR
Best is somewhat subjective. Most of the popular American rifles are made to a price, rather than to be the best possible. When you compare what you get with a Sauer versus a Savage, you have to wonder why Savages cost as much as they sometimes do. Most people have to try different makes and models to find what is best for them. That is why there are so many on the market.

The Remington Model Seven makes for one of the handiest of hunting rifles due to the compact action. It is not the best rifle. It is simple, effective and conforms to a great form factor for hunting. I recommend giving the Seven a long look.

Selecting a stainless model is somewhat dubious because they tend to have non-stainless parts. Just FYI. If ya want stainless, ya want stainless. Getting what you want is good.

AND more important than the rifle is the scope and mounts. If your budget is limited, spend the most of it on the scope and mounts. A great scope on a cheap rifle is more effective than a cheap scope on great rifle. You can't hit it if you can't see it. You can see it but still not hit it if the mounts do not hold zero. You can kill elk at 300+ yards with a $300 rifle.

Then again, you could just get a Tikka T3 and top it with a Leupold VX3 in DNZ mount and get on with your life.