Jewell Trigger issues

rayporter

WKR
arnold jewell says to clean the trigger with lighter fluid and nothing else. most shooters will find that if it needs cleaning more power is needed. like brake cleaner and air pressure. and i have never got one to work again by spraying, only by taking it apart and wiping down the parts. there is only 2 parts and a spring in them that you cant see.

if you shoot a lot or go into the elements a failure is going to happen. it is just a matter of time.

i have 5 comp rifles with jewells and probably always will because i cant afford all flavio or bix and andy. most years i take them apart and clean them in the winter just because i dont want a failure. i also carry a spare in my loading box ready to install. in reality i can take one apart about as fast as one can be installed in a bat. when cleaning a failed jewell i have never found the dirt causing the problem.

they just do not belong out in the elements.

arnold was a competition benchrest shooter and he designed a competition trigger.

you cannot set a timney or a shilen at one ounce and get rid of the creep like you can a jewell. you can not hunt with a one ounce trigger either.

Last edited:

DRUSS

WKR
When I was having my last gun built t he gunsmith told me he didnt recommend the jewel because of these issues. Great for the bench and cleaner environments he told me. He liked timney. No problems so far. It's a hunting rifle though, and it doesn't feel like my jewel does.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

deadwolf

WKR
arnold jewell says to clean the trigger with lighter fluid and nothing else. most shooters will find that if it needs cleaning more power is needed. like brake cleaner and air pressure. and i have never got one to work again by spraying, only by taking it apart and wiping down the parts. there is only 2 parts and a spring in them that you cant see.

if you shoot a lot or go into the elements a failure is going to happen. it is just a matter of time.

i have 5 comp rifles with jewells and probably always will because i cant afford all flavio or bix and andy. most years i take them apart and clean them in the winter just because i dont want a failure. i also carry a spare in my loading box ready to install. in reality i can take one apart about as fast as one can be installed in a bat. when cleaning a failed jewell i have never found the dirt causing the problem.

they just do not belong out in the elements.

arnold was a competition benchrest shooter and he designed a competition trigger.

you cannot set a timney or a shilen at one ounce and get rid of the creep like you can a jewell. you can not hunt with a one ounce trigger either.

Thanks a bunch, had t heard about using lighter fluid before. I’m going to try a triggertech special in the next rifle I have built, have Timneys in everything else right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KClark

WKR
As a highpower and long range/Palma competitor for 20 years I noticed all the things mentioned by Formidilosus. I tried Jewells in my rifles a couple times and never liked how finicky they were. They certainly work well in the vise on the bench but on a windy day at the Rocker Range or in the rain at Camp Perry there was always some frustrated red faced expert with his jacket cinched too tight trying to blow the in trigger slot to reactivate his lazy Jewell. I remember carrying a squeeze can of Ronsonol lighter fluid to douche the Jewell and hose off the Warner sight.

Had the same issue happen to me recently with a 6x6 bull in cross hairs. Had to hold a lighter up under the trigger for a couple minutes. Trigger froze up twice . Finally got it to work and killed the bull at 647 yards. Got frost bite on one finger in process. It was around -5 out.
What’s the best trigger tech made currently?

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I am still looking for THE 700 trigger. I had a Trigger Tech Diamond malfunction on me with two different actions.

I bought two Geissele Super 700 to try out. Only time will tell.

I am still looking for THE 700 trigger. I had a Trigger Tech Diamond malfunction on me with two different actions.

Ryan
Have you tried any of the Bix and Andy triggers? I’ve been running one this season and have been very happy with it.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan
Have you tried any of the Bix and Andy triggers? I’ve been running one this season and have been very happy with it.
No, I haven't. But I will put them on the list. I've been running the super 700 on the two-stage setting it defiantly different.

Wrench

WKR
I was pulled up on a bull last night and sweating my math, rangefinder and breathing.....and I had a jewell in that rig.

I'd actually forgot about the trigger issue till you brought it up....thanks, grr.

Ryan,
Can you elaborate on what happened with the trigger tech diamonds?

Had the first timney fail on me at the range this past sunday. I hadn't taken this rifle hunting since 2018 but have never stripped the bolt and cleaned it either.

Was a shitty range trip.. Forgot the ammo for the 2nd rifle i brought and the 3rd had mostly ammo that it turns out is over pressured and I'll need to pull all those bullets.

rayporter

WKR
i dont know the best for sure.

i have reworked Remington's in my hunting rifles.

triggers are funny and they just cant be subjected to a lot of abuse especially really good triggers that are super adjustable are very finely tuned.

like my story of heating a trigger over the cookstove to melt the ice out of it -that day i doubt any thing but a mauser trigger would have worked. sure you could have blamed the remington for not working but in the end it would not have been the triggers fault.