Savage lightweight hunter -thoughts?

View attachment 62677
weight1.jpg
I really like mine. I did some modifications to mine. Straight out of the box it wasnt stellar accuracy, not bad just not great. Shortening the barrel to 17 inches helped the accuracy. I now shoot 1 MOA groups using 120gr triple shocks and superformance powder and best of all I have a 6 pound all in rifle with nothing but a little labor involved. I even got the gun on super sale, I think I only paid 400 bucks for it. For that price it is really hard to nock. I have paid twice as much for guns I didn't like nearly as much. I even killed a doe for the freezer this year with it.

robtattoo

WKR
Freaking LOVE my .308 It's not the most accurate rifle I've ever owned, no point in lying about it, it shoots around 1½" at 100, but I'll never take a shot over 300yds anyway so I'm happy with that.

I switched out the wood stock (model 11) for a regular Tupperware job from a model 16 & shaved a lot of weight.

It's absolutely no fun to shoot, but I built it to carry as much as shoot & it's a dream for that!
4f3c8fc87525c7adf6d5efe649816e99.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BigWoods

WKR
Can you tell us more about your work on this? It that an aftermarket stock or did you modify the factory one?

OP
Desk Jockey
Thanks. I just bought a tikka and it is a good shooter. Savage wasn’t on my radar but it sounds like they are very strong performers for the money.

OP
Desk Jockey
its a 6.5 creedmoor with a leupold 3-9 ultralight with cds dial

Looks like a nice shooter. 6 pounds is crazy light.

Curious if that is the “stock” stock and did you have it bedded. What kind of coating do you have on it? Apart from the barrel cut, what else have you done Re: accuracy? Also did you add a bolt handle?

Curious if that is the “stock” stock and did you have it bedded. What kind of coating do you have on it? Apart from the barrel cut, what else have you done Re: accuracy? Also did you add a bolt handle?

Yes it is the original stock. I cut 4 inches out of the middle of the forearm and epoxied it back together. I sanded it down for a slimmer profile. I cut 1/2 inch out of the buttstock and replaced the ridiculous buttpad with one I made out of a flip flop,(which performs way better and is 4 oz lighter than the stock one) the paint you see is just a stone textured paint from home depot. Also the bolt knob is a carbon fiber one from bolt knobs .com or something like that, but I don't like it, it's too long.
I did not bed the action. It shot well enough without it that I just didn't feel it was necessary. Although it probably would be improved if I did.

trslabaugh

Lil-Rokslider
Just got mine in 6.5 Creedmoor. Savages are great, although, I do have 2 Remington 700's (neither being any kind of lightweight gun). Bolt was rough pulling back the first few times with the fluting. Much better after about 20 cycles. Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet, but plan on running the 143 ELD-X's as they work great in my target gun and on a doe earlier this year.

My lightweight hunter will be scoped with a Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 and running a Silencer Co Omega 30.

Jdog

WKR
I just picked up this lil guy...

6.5 CM

Attachments

• IMG_3609.jpg
    IMG_3609.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3611.jpg
    IMG_3611.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 82